2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 3 Day trip in North GA< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Jambeaux Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 1:28 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking for a 3 day trip in or around North GA. I would prefer a loop but will take what I can get. I have some bum knees so I'm not looking for a lot of steep terrain. Water access for drinking and cooking is a must.

Jambeaux

--------------
laissez le bon temps rouler
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 08 2012, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1160920

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
Doggone/GA Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jambeaux - I don't want to discourage you, but you're going to have a hard time finding a hike of that length in North GA that isn't hilly.  Just off-hand I can't even think of any.  There's the Appalachian Trail, the Bartram Trail and the Pinhoti Trail - but all of those are in the mountains.

There are lots of trails in the Cohutta Wilderness...but again, those are mountain trails.

You might consider checking out the Pine Mountain Trail.  It's further south, and might not be quite as big in the ups and downs department.  But I've only hiked a few miles of it - from where it starts at the radio tower, so I can't give you more information about the rest of the trail
 Post Number: 4
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Doggone/GA @ Nov. 10 2012, 10:30 am)
You might consider checking out the Pine Mountain Trail.  It's further south, and might not be quite as big in the ups and downs department.  But I've only hiked a few miles of it - from where it starts at the radio tower, so I can't give you more information about the rest of the trail

There are a lot of good loops on the PMT. Nothing too hilly. Its actually an overly manicured trail IMHO. So it would be great for what you are looking for.
If you think you may go, order a map now. Last I checked you could only get a map from the Pine Mountain Trail Association (or the ranger station) and you have to order it online.
Let me know if you go there. Its been a few years but I have been all over that park and could probably answer any questions you may have.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 5
Doggone/GA Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that's true...that you have to buy the maps.  There was a site that had the map, but I just tried and was unable to find it.

Also, the Pine Mountain Trail we're discussing is the one near FDR State Park, Pine Mountain, GA and Callaway Gardens.  There's also a Pine Mountain Trail near Cartersville, GA - that's not the one!
 Post Number: 6
gorgescrambler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Chattooga River trail as a out and back might work. Also,I would be happy to provide a shuttle(no charge) if you want, as I am just an hour+ away and am in need of a fishing trip for myself in that general area.
 Post Number: 7
Mudslide1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're gonna do the PMT trail (FDR state park) do yourself a favor, and get a heads up on water. I have tried to set up a trip and do the full 23 miles a few times and the ranger has always said some springs dry/ water minimal right now. Stinks, I really want to do this trail too.
 Post Number: 8
Jambeaux Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 8:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gorgescrambler @ Nov. 13 2012, 8:48 pm)
The Chattooga River trail as a out and back might work. Also,I would be happy to provide a shuttle(no charge) if you want, as I am just an hour+ away and am in need of a fishing trip for myself in that general area.

Thanks everybody. I'm begining to see that I'm not going to find anything that's not hard on the knees. I'll just have to take my chances. I'll just bring a little extra food in case I have to spend a few extra nights in order to move a little slower. I may get lucky and not blow out a knee and I'll just have another routine trip.

I have decided to hike along The Chattooga River trail. I have picked a loop (Burrell's Ford) in the Ellicott Wilderness. I'll hit the trailhead on the 25th. If anyone is out there give me a shout and we can meet up and have some coffee.

Thanks again
Jambeaux

--------------
laissez le bon temps rouler
 Post Number: 9
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 4:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mudslide1 @ Nov. 15 2012, 10:19 pm)
If you're gonna do the PMT trail (FDR state park) do yourself a favor, and get a heads up on water. I have tried to set up a trip and do the full 23 miles a few times and the ranger has always said some springs dry/ water minimal right now. Stinks, I really want to do this trail too.

Not to say it isn't true but lack of water has never been an issue with me on the PMT. This is surprising to hear.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 10
Mudslide1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Nov. 17 2012, 4:04 am)

(Mudslide1 @ Nov. 15 2012, 10:19 pm)

Not to say it isn't true but lack of water has never been an issue with me on the PMT. This is surprising to hear.

Ok, thats good news then. The one time I took my son, we did 16 mi ( 8 in 8 out) and the site we had camped at barely had more than seepage (was told at office most sources were dry, but this one reliable). The next 2 times I called before a trip to reserve, they said most dry so I was waiting for some dang rain to go back to thru!  :D
9 replies since Nov. 08 2012, 1:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 3 Day trip in North GA
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions