2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: CS 56 this past weekend, the last one< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 4:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what a great weekend to be out.........nice temperatures, and blue skies.......

deep creek campsite 56 was the destination this past weekend........

this was the last campsite (of the ones that are currently open) that i needed to stay at to complete all the campsites in the park.......

sadly i missed the earthquake that happened as i was driving down near bryson city......

got to trailhead shortly before one pm, and saw a bunch of dayhikers heading up to the falls.......

here's what the trail looked like right after the first bridge crossing of deep creek......

and how the creek looked on saturday....

got to CS 56 in 2 hours 20 minutes.......

and had all the wood i'd need for a night's worth of fire within the first ten minutes....

and here's what the wood produced....

at this campsite, two girls doing the benton mackaye trail stayed here, and i invited them down to hang out, but they were beat and called it a night....

they did miss how a fire makes a blue light....

the blue glow came as a result of the lens on my cheap handheld little camera.......
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(had to break this up in two as the forum wouldnt allow the whole thing to go through)

anyways.....

next day, got up and did pole creek road trail up to noland divide and back to deep creek campground........

had to cross the creek to get to pole creek, so here's a photo for bad knees....

and looking up the creek from the bridge......

pole creek was a nice uphill climb, with a few creek crossings and a few blowdowns on it......there were a couple of fallen trees that i had to remove pack and pass under before i could duck underneath....

looking up, here's a dead tree but nice blue skies....

getting up to noland divide after a few hours, had a quick lunch and started the trek (sorta) down to the campground.......

noland divide runs the length of a ridge with good views in back towards thomas divide area along with a view up towards clingmans dome....

the white spot right  in the middle of the photo is the parking lot for the dome......

coming down the trail, came across this rock and a tree that was struck by lightnin and burnt a little bit....

a few hours of hiking along the ridgeline and came across a pleasant surprise as i had forgotten about this one since the last time i had done this trail (maybe about ten years ago)...

with the ridgeline, one gets views through trees, but then passes a side trail that leads to lonesome pine overlook......

what a pleasant surprise for an overlook......great overlook, and one that most people don't really think of for overlooks in the park.....

after lonesome pine overlook, the trail gets narrower and rocky while still riding the ridgeline.......deep creek/thomas divide/sunkota ridge on one side and bryson city/fontana on the other side....

all in all---a great weekend to be out hiking......yesterday was a long day at just under 12 miles for the hike......

but, i've done completed all the currently open campsites in the park.......

and i finish at just about 65 percent done all the trails for my second go around......

can't wait to start exploring some of the other wilderness areas that are around me.....
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One thing i forgot to mention was an impressive sight that i saw on way home......didnt take picture though ......

At oconaluftee visitors center in the field next door was a herd of elk.......about a dozen of em....

I knew there were one or two over tbat way but to see 12the was aweaome........hope they spread further out.....
 Post Number: 4
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats on getting all the sites!
 Post Number: 5
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats on getting all the sites!

yeah, man -- well done. i like that last photo you have posted... is that a burn area or storm damage, or something?

i'm gonna have to add Noland Divide to my list to see that overlook.

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you mean the shot of the ridgeline?

I think thats just wind and drought damage........in that area i didnt see any fire damage or at least any that stood out.....

And yeah.......thats a cool overlook that i dont think most peole think about.......

Its a good climb feom the trailhead though if one were to do it aa a dayhike.....

And thanks for the words of congratulations.....
 Post Number: 7
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah I've done that hike.  Pole rd was nasty as I recall.  Lot of blow downs and taking off the pack.  That overlook is where my avatar is.  Love how narrow noland is at some spots.  Just enough for my poles.  Great hike and pics.  Spanx.  Now I am juealous.   :(

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Elk are out in that field just about every evening.  I have a lot of good pics of them.  Very cool.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Love how narrow noland is at some spots.

yeah............to me, and it was late in the day, this was a highlight of the hike........

i had completely forgotten about it from the last time i did this route about ten years ago or so.....
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Nov. 13 2012, 5:32 pm)
Love how narrow noland is at some spots.

yeah............to me, and it was late in the day, this was a highlight of the hike........

i had completely forgotten about it from the last time i did this route about ten years ago or so.....

Is 56 still nice?  Last time I was there it was very nice.  The horse place up the creek one click was destroyed by downed trees.  I think the bridge was out.  A girl came down P Rd and crossed in the creek and fell in and lost her fleece top.  She was alone and crashed at our site..  We convinced her to take Indian Creek tr back.  I was kinda concerened for her safety.  She could tell we were a safe couple.  My brother and I. Argued all night.  Like only brothers can.   :D

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the old bridge

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Elk At the vistior's center.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Chillin bear

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

s 56 still nice?  Last time I was there it was very nice.

yeah........it's one of the better ones along deep creek, imo.....

one big spot right beside trail.......another spot down by creek that's a little more private......and one more little tiny spot just up trail from the big spot......

and plenty, plenty of downed limbs to provide firewood......i had all i needed for 9 hours of burning within ten minutes of collecting......

and yeah.......new bridge at pole creek......it's a big f*cker......would have loved to watch them install that sum bitch...
 Post Number: 15
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice TR. Wife, daughter and I really enjoyed our stay at 56 in July. One of the better non-reservation sites in the park is the one down by the creek. Unfortunately, we stayed there right after the heavy rain that followed those bad storms, so, no nice fire for us.
14 replies since Nov. 12 2012, 4:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply CS 56 this past weekend
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions