2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: joyce kilmer loop?, looking for suggestions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 11:44 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since my map and books are at the house, i figured id pick this forums brain a little....

Looking for a loop in joyce kilmer........maybe 10-14 miles total........and with a place i can put a tent up......

Surely (and don't call me shirley) y'all could throw down some routes......

Victor Vector........Roger, Roger.......
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what have you done already? you've been up to the Hangover, right? didn't you suggest that one to me?

the whole ridgeline between the Hangover and the Bob is awesome hiking.

what about Big Fat Gap to Hangover to Naked Ground, and then down Slickrock and back up to Big Fat Gap? i don't know the exact mileage but i think it falls in your range. you could post up at Naked Ground and dayhike up to the Bob.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 3
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Nov. 15 2012, 10:21 am)
..... then down Slickrock

cringe
:laugh:
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya.......i suggested hangover to ya....

Thats the only place ive been and that was going up the short eoute from.big gap parking lot and back....

The cringe for slickrock----is that for a steep descent?   Or many fords?
 Post Number: 5
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Nov. 15 2012, 1:03 pm)
The cringe for slickrock----is that for a steep descent?   Or many fords?

It's a brutal "path" either way you go.
The fords at the bottom may be considered a welcome sight.

**I'm just talking about the section between naked ground and slickrock creek itself.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i'm kinda looking at going---hangover lead north to yellowhammer gap....down yellowhammer gap trail to nichols cove trail and either back windy gap or bif fat trail.....

how's that sound for a route?     and, if anyone is familiar with this route and can suggest a good camping spot, i'm game.....

although, seeing this weekend should be clear skies, i may opt to go up high  ???  on a bald....

also.......up for any other suggestions of routes.....
 Post Number: 7
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On the map below, I've marked some campsites for the route you described.  I'm sure there are others, but i've either not seen them, or don't recall them.

My favorite site is the large camping area where little slickrock enters the main creek.  Another very nice, never used site is at the top of Ike Branch.  Its a little off your course, but if you continue on past yellowhammer gap, onto Ike Branch trail, around the mountain, you'll see it just before you get to the trickle known as ike branch.

A few disclaimers...I only vaugely remember the spot I marked at the top of nichols cove branch.  I fished up it one day from the main creek to where it flattens out.  Therefore, I also don't know the trail conditions that go up over the ridge to big fat gap trail.  Also, the campsite I marked below Yellowhammer Gap, along the main creek, is nothing more than a fire pit and a place to hang a hammock or maybe a small tent.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks........that helps out a lot.....

Just outta curiosity----what map is that yer usibg?   I bought the ngs version but the one above seems clearer/cleaner to read.......
 Post Number: 9
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Nov. 15 2012, 9:07 pm)
Thanks........that helps out a lot.....

Just outta curiosity----what map is that yer usibg?   I bought the ngs version but the one above seems clearer/cleaner to read.......

Its just an old, out of date usgs map.
PM me your email and i'll send you the quad if you want to print it out and use it.

The trails illustrated map will work just fine, and is probably a little more up to date.

Here are a few discrepancies that I've noticed betweeen the 2 in that area:
-Trails Illustrated shows a 4 way junction at Yellowhammer gap.  Heading north on the hangover, you will hit yellowhammer creek trail on your left before you actually reach the gap.
-USGS shows a trail heading from the village of Tapoco up to Yellowhammer Gap.  This trail (last I was up there) was "closed" and inaccessible as I was told it was on private property by the gatekeeper at Tapoco.
-Trails Illustrated (2002) does not show the connector trail at saddle tree gap between the hangover and the haoe.

Sign at Yellowhammer Gap

Campsite at the top of Ike Branch Creek.
Its bigger than it looks in this picture.  That fire pit by the log is decent size.

One of many sites at little slickrock and slickrock junction along the stiffknee trail.

Have fun this weekend, and be sure to take some pictures.
Sorry I'm not going to be able to make it this time.
We are taking the little guy on his 3rd backpack trip.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 11:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aint no need yo apologize.......hope the little feller has fun.....

Looks like the ngs map i have is the 2000 version version with a revision in 2006the and minor updated in 2012....

And yeah........the yellowhammer gap looked a little confusing on map but i figured the gap looked to be a hair around the corner.....

As for tapaco-----i stayed there a few years ago and they told me they had a bunch of their "own" trails...........but last time i was down that way---it was closed and up for sale......not sure current status....

But map doesnt show a trail leading up there.....

And this ngs map has the connector between the two Hs but it kinda looks like a scribble......

So it appears that ill have no shortage of places to lay my dancin' bones down.....

And from photo----looka lime a hubba hubba.......a seedhouse.....and black diamond poles.......
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welllllllllllll.........

With the weather being as nice today as it should be tomorrow-----id be a fool (dont say it) if i didnt get up high on a bald.......

Thinking of switching this weekends route to the one ashe put up.....

And then doing the original route after turkey day.....
 Post Number: 12
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Nov. 16 2012, 3:19 pm)
Welllllllllllll.........

With the weather being as nice today as it should be tomorrow-----id be a fool (dont say it) if i didnt get up high on a bald.......

Thinking of switching this weekends route to the one ashe put up.....

And then doing the original route after turkey day.....

Post pics when ya get back ya wanker.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope to.......just depends upon how many daze ill be in court next week.........

Oh.......post pictures of my wanker?    That will be easy.....
 Post Number: 14
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

have fun, man. that's a great spot to catch a sunset.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 15
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2012, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Nov. 16 2012, 5:46 pm)
I hope to.......just depends upon how many daze ill be in court next week.........

Oh.......post pictures of my wanker?    That will be easy.....

better get out the zoom lense.  HA

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2012, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

i was in the pool.......i was in the pool........
15 replies since Nov. 14 2012, 11:44 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply joyce kilmer loop?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions