2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sycamore Creek Overnighter 11/17, Cherokee NF< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 1:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Headed for Tellico Plains saturday morning and stopped for some sandwiches at Tellico Grains.  We arrived at pheasant fields around noon and parked at the picnic area.  There was one hunter in the parking lot with his son, eating lunch, but suprisingly nobody else.  Even the bald river parking area only had a couple of photographers gearing up.

We had decided to do sycamore creek, because we were familiar with the area, & knew it was an easy hike that would be especially friendly to me since I'm now the family sherpa & carry a 65 lb pack with all our gear and clothes.  Plus, this trip wasn't about churning out the miles, or seeing vistas, or bushwacking to a remote spot...this was about getting Crosby back out into nature, which he really enjoys.

Beautiful day for a hike.  Not a cloud in the sky.

Ms Bandit headin up the trail with Crosby on her back.  Dogs in tow.

Crosby wanted to try walking a little, so we stopped at the first campsite, to let him try to "ike"...which didn't last long.

Our campsite for the night, right beside the creek.

We had a good fire that night.  Plenty of limbs laying around to help keep us warm.  I don't think the site had been used in several months.  The next morning we did a little bit of fishing....also known as "see fishy".  Then we headed back down the trail and stopped at the fish rearing pools so Crosby could wave bye to what seemed like every fish in there.

Good trip, all in all, but I can't wait until he can walk on his own a little bit.

Here are some other shots I took...

Tired Pup

Whigg Ridge trailhead....looks treacherous.  Anyone done this one?

I love this cabin.  I wonder who owns it?  Noboddy is ever there.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you so much for sharing your trip through your photos and report. Your little boy is precious! I love those chubby cheeks and those eyes!  You did good! Little Ulight is adorable.  That dog looks wore out in the photo. Pack Packing is hard! :-D

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

dang dude, you got a whole backpackin family. well done, sir.

did you happen to notice what was scratched into that rock at the Whigg Ridge Trailhead?

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 4
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You are my hero! I can't wait until my newest squish is a few more weeks old so we can get out on a family hike. My daughter is almost 3 and she can finally walk now without much assistance. A hiking pack of her own is on my holiday gift list for her.

I love that area that you hiked in, I've only seen it by car but I'm itching to get back outside.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 5
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gald you and the little feller and the pup had a good time.....

It was a beautiful weekend to get out.......
 Post Number: 6
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2012, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MM: Thank you.  Glad you enjoyed our little report.  

Ashepabst:  Funny you should mention the rock.  I didn't notice that anything had been written on it until I started looking in my pictures.

VAN: if you guys are ever back in the area, that trip is very do-able with small kids.  I would even go as far as saying you could push a jogging stroller to the first campsite.
 Post Number: 7
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 22 2012, 8:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the Sycamore trip report.  It's a great trail but a mini nutbuster if taken all the way to the top of Whiggs Meadow at 5,000 feet.  That's 7 miles with a 3,000 foot climb, all on the Sycamore Creek trail which is also the Benton Mackaye trail.  There are 5 switchbacks (with a fantastic campsite beyond the 3rd switchback) and the last haul is up the old Whiggs Meadow gravel road.

Here are some of my pics of the trail and the camps---

Here is the first big campsite on the right when ascending.  I call it, duh, Sycamore Creek Camp.

There are two of these nice trailposts on the Sycamore trail and behind the 2nd one there is a fantastic tentsite I call Hobo Camp.

Here's the "secret" campsite behind the trailpost and it's right next to the upper reaches of the loud and pleasant Sycamore Creek.

In fact, here's the upper Sycamore right next to the tentsite for easy access to water.  Hobo Camp is one of my favorite camps if you like to sleep next to the sound of rushing water.

The ultimate goal of Sycamore trail is here at Whiggs Meadow with 5,500 foot Haw Mountain in the background.

Here's a view of the Whigg from atop Haw Mountain, a great little sidetrail if you feel brave and want to bushwack and camp in some tough wind conditions.

There's also a "secret" pond on top of the Whigg and it's right over the other side of the bald and a great place to swim if you don't mind silt.  In this pic the pond is frozen solid.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 8
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Tipi Walter!
Yep, i've been to all those places, except Haw Mtn....its on my list though.
Every time I pass by the little path that goes up to it from Mud Gap trail, I am tempted to start bushwacking.
Is there a decent tent site up there?

I don't really think the site behind the "2nd post" is too secret.  Its in most of the guide books, and I've hiked up there twice from pheasant fields only to find tents already there.  Do you know about the little hidden site about 100 yds before the first signpost?  Its the one pictured in my report.  Rarely gets any use, but there is a dead oak tree standing beside it that is going to do some serious damage when it comes down.
 Post Number: 9
wornoutboots Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great Report & Pics!! Thanks Guys!! +1 On getting the fam out!! Congratz on the Great Adventure!!!

--------------
Take time to watch the trees dance with the wind......then join in
 Post Number: 10
smokehiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

UlightBandit & Tipi Walter

Thanks for the posts.  Pics are great!

My daughter started (on my back) when she was 6 mos.
She's almost 25 & she still loves to hike!

Nutin' like it!
 Post Number: 11
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

UlightBandit---
The side trail up to Haw Mt from the Whigg side is fairly easy except for the final 100 feet but then you pop out in an open bald as below.

Here's the campsite atop the Haw.  It's a great winter destination but it can get rough with the wind.

This was taken on an earlier trip when a serious wind storm hit and my Hilleberg nearly collapsed but the 16 stakes held it together.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
10 replies since Nov. 20 2012, 1:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sycamore Creek Overnighter 11/17
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions