2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Moving to TN!, Help a girl out?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
katorade Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 9:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since I'm new to the forum I may as well give a little intro on myself. I work in ecology research and as a result spend a couple months every summer working outside (usually in streams), sometimes camping for weeks at a time. That said I haven't done much backpacking (all that research gear requires a car!) and I'm really looking to get into it more.

Come Jan I'll be moving to central TN (almost exactly halfway between Nashville & Knoxville) and was hoping you guys could suggest some good dayhikes or overnighters? I'm predicting my new job will keep me really busy, so I doubt I'd be able to do much more than one night out at a time. Thanks in advance!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome......

Where yer at ----you will have unlimited opportunities.......

One of the first places ill suggesr is alum cave trail in the smokies......

After that the world is all yers......

Frozen head, virgin falls,  cherokee national forest, big south fork, savage gulf, and a ton of other spots are close to you as well.....
 Post Number: 3
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alum cave is an excellent choice. I'm heading there Tuesday.There are tons of great trips in the Smokey Mountain National Forest.
This weekend I'm doing a section of the Appalachian Trail, which isn't too far from you.
Feel free to check out my blog for some semi-local locations. I do Tn, NC, and VA.

http://treelinebackpacker.wordpress.com/
 Post Number: 4
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

welcome to Tennessee. Kevin's list is full of great hikes. i might also add the Cumberland Trail segments -- most are pretty close to your new home.

Virgin Falls and the Scott's Gulf area in general is a must-hike, and real close to ya.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 5
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fall Creek Falls SP, Savage Gulf, Fiery Gizzard...all in the Cumberland area and pretty close to you.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 8:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to Tennessee!

hiking-tiger's suggestions are a great place to start!

The Cookeville-Crossville area is a great place for hikers. Fall Creek Falls is my favorite. But adding some of my favorites to hiking-tiger's suggestions:

A nice 1 or 2 hour dayhike is the Black Mountain Loop on the Cumberland Trail just outside Crossville. Black Mountain Loop Trail

A longer hike is the Brady Mountain part of the Grassy Cove Segment of the Cumberland Trail, just outside Crossville. Brady Mountain Trail

Lots of both overnight and dayhikes are available on the Cumberland Trail near Crossville. See CTC Volunteers Trail Maps .

A great dayhike is the new State Park Cummins Falls, Cummins Falls State Park . Cummins Falls is just outside Cookeville.

Standing Stone State Park is just north of Cookeville and is a great place for dayhikes. Standing Stone

Virgin Falls, recently bought by the state, is a great dayhike. Virgin Falls

North of Crossville, Pickett State Park is a great place to camp in a developed campground and has some nice dayhikes. Pickett State Park

My second fav is Big South Fork, with lots of great dayhikes and two main developed campgrounds. Big South Fork is an hour north of Crossville. Big South Fork

Burgess Falls, just outside Cookeville, is another my favs. Burgess Falls

You are moving to hiker's paradise! There are more hiking and camping areas that you can learn from the locals.

You might consider joining Tennessee Trails . There is a chapter in Cookeville, and one in Crossville. That's a good way to meet other hikers AND to learn of the nearby camping and hiking opportunities. An even more active group is Cumberland Trail Volunteers , based just north of Chattanooga in Soddy-Daisy.

Enjoy!
 Post Number: 7
katorade Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks everyone! Driving down for the interview I was very excited to see sign after sign for parks and wilderness areas. If I'm lucky I'll actually be doing some fieldwork in the Smokies in the fall.
 Post Number: 8
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to Tennessee!  Others have given you the suggestions I would make.  You'll love it here.  It's a wonderful part of the country and I've found it very welcoming to newcomers.
7 replies since Dec. 14 2012, 9:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Moving to TN!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions