2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tired of the Hot Weather, ...and the rain!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 7:01 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live in south Florida -- I'm sick and tired of the hot and muggy weather.  I look forward to the winters around here but this year and last have been the worst.  I'm thinking about moving north -- maybe Wisconsin!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 7:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're going to hit 60 here in DC today.  I agree, winter has been disappointing.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 3
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 8:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is hot and muggy (I'm north of you in Central FL). I am over it! I want to go camping without melting.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 4
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WiscoHiker @ Dec. 18 2012, 7:01 am)
I live in south Florida -- I'm sick and tired of the hot and muggy weather.  I look forward to the winters around here but this year and last have been the worst.  I'm thinking about moving north -- maybe Wisconsin!

I lived 30 yrs in Boca.  Thats why we moved to Maine.  Although it still isn't cold enough and no snow.  :(

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 5
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're going to hit 60 here in DC today.

what part of DC ya in?

i grew up in columbia.........and spent many a youthful night in georgetown back in the 80's.....

personally---i'm digging the warm weather.........has made for some nice hiking weekends.....
 Post Number: 6
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Dec. 18 2012, 7:06 am)
We're going to hit 60 here in DC today.  I agree, winter has been disappointing.

Sorry, Jim....but it's still fall.....

Winter hasn't gotten here yet....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 7
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm in South Louisiana and I think the temps are just fine, thanks!  :)

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 8
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 7:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have lived in Florida for over 50 years and I am just fine with the warm winter.  It would be nice if we would have just one cold snap to knock down the swamp angle populations.  This is the time of year for me to go paddling and camping in Florida.  
For folks that move to Florida and then complain about the weather there is always the option of moving north but for me I will stay.  I use the summers for going north and backpack when the weather up north is more suited to my liking.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Roger @ Dec. 19 2012, 7:54 am)
For folks that move to Florida and then complain about the weather there is always the option of moving north but for me I will stay.

I know, I do really love it here. We lived in VA for a year when Jon was active duty, and I HATED scraping the ice off my windshield  :angry:

Today is a beautiful day. High is 74 and when I woke up it was 55. No complaints for me! The sun is shining and I have the windows open  

:cool:

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 10
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 3:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But I might be getting some snow tomorrow into Friday - it's close to 70 right now though, way to hot for Dec.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pastywhite @ Dec. 19 2012, 3:31 pm)
But I might be getting some snow tomorrow into Friday - it's close to 70 right now though, way to hot for Dec.

We are getting that cold front over night tonight. The high today is 82, the low tonight is 50. By tomorrow, our high is only 60 and the low is 33!!! We'll be back into the mid 70's by Christmas though, but I'll take it  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 12
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Roger @ Dec. 19 2012, 6:54 am)
It would be nice if we would have just one cold snap to knock down the swamp angle populations.  

For folks that move to Florida and then complain about the weather there is always the option of moving north

Amen!

And we got a cold front today - yesterday, the high was 78* and the low was about 70* ... the front came through and temps have been dropping steadily.  It's supposed to freeze tonight!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We had rain in Tampa last night and it has cooled down.  For some reason I have agreed to go to Atlanta for the holiday weekend + where the high today is around 47.  Now why did I not have Ms Dolly come to Florida?

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 14
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Dec. 20 2012, 10:46 pm)
And we got a cold front today - yesterday, the high was 78* and the low was about 70* ... the front came through and temps have been dropping steadily.  It's supposed to freeze tonight!

Colder temps. Woohoo!!!

The wind (~20mph, gusting to 35 or 40) made the drive over the river bridge interesting this morning...blowing hard enough it feels like something's wrong with my car.

Pulled my wool hat on my noggin and went on with it.  :D

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My backyard today (temp is about 55 degrees). Had a fire last night, and will have another one tonight:

--------------
 Post Number: 16
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Roger @ Dec. 21 2012, 11:48 am)
For some reason I have agreed to go to Atlanta for the holiday weekend +

Will you still be there NEXT weekend, by chance??

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've lived in south Florida for 26 years -- just miss the nice, cool FL winters!  Last year pretty much sucked, and until this weekend, this year has pretty much sucked so far!  I'm looking forward to some hiking and camping -- now for the next problem -- snowbirds! LOL
 Post Number: 18
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WiscoHiker @ Dec. 23 2012, 6:36 pm)
-- now for the next problem -- snowbirds! LOL

LOL -- they look like money!  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Dec. 23 2012, 11:06 pm)
LOL -- they look like money!  :;):

Good point!
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 2:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Dec. 21 2012, 1:51 pm)

(Roger @ Dec. 21 2012, 11:48 am)
For some reason I have agreed to go to Atlanta for the holiday weekend +

Will you still be there NEXT weekend, by chance??

Nope I have returned to Tampa.  Ms Dolly is planning on heading down this way for the New Year.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would hang myself if I lived in Florida! Flat, hot, muggy, boring, too many people, too much traffic...yikes!

But everyone's idea of good weather is different. I like to come to the beach for a week and then I'm good for another year. But the mountains I never get tired of. I like to have 4 true seasons and the cold of winter is a nice break from the hot southern summers.

It was 30 degrees last night and I had a nice fire going in the fireplace, some relaxing music, an adult beverage and a good book. Something about being cozy inside with a fire on a cold night that you just can't duplicate. One of my simple pleasures in life.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know what you mean, hikerdude -- where are you living now?  Sounds like you're somewhere in the south, but not Florida.

I have a nice place in Madison, WI -- love to go up there in the winter for some snow hiking -- need to get snowshoes one of these days!

Haven't been out west to the Rockies, but would love to go some day.
 Post Number: 23
Thatbakerkid Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I moved to Memphis three years ago, and still crave heading back to Ontario every year for my dose of winter.

I don't know how folks without 4 seasons live without 4 seasons!

--------------
No matter how beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results.
My Blog about travel, backpacking and the universe.
 Post Number: 24
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

still crave heading back to Ontario every year for my dose of winter

I got dosed in ontariio one year........

But it was at a grateful dead show back in 1990........my 21st birthday at copps coliseum .........
 Post Number: 25
Thatbakerkid Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice. :)

--------------
No matter how beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results.
My Blog about travel, backpacking and the universe.
24 replies since Dec. 18 2012, 7:01 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tired of the Hot Weather
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions