2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mt. Mitchell / Clingman / Mt. Rogers - snow?, Any recent info? Look to hike next wk.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kls1891 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 11:18 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi - we're planning to grab some highpoints over the next week.  Looking to get Clingmans Dome (TN), Mt. Mitchell (NC), Mt. Rogers (VA), Black Mountain (KY), and Brasstown Bald (GA).

I realize the roads are closed to Clingmans and and Mt. Mitchell.  We're planning to hike them.

Does anyone have insight into the current conditions up there?  Trying to plan what type of gear to bring.

Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kls1891 @ Dec. 24 2012, 11:18 am)
Hi - we're planning to grab some highpoints over the next week.  Looking to get Clingmans Dome (TN), Mt. Mitchell (NC), Mt. Rogers (VA), Black Mountain (KY), and Brasstown Bald (GA).

I realize the roads are closed to Clingmans and and Mt. Mitchell.  We're planning to hike them.

Does anyone have insight into the current conditions up there?  Trying to plan what type of gear to bring.

Thanks.

Miserable.  Temps in the 30s-low 40s and rain, lots of rain. We are getting another front coming through tomorrow that will add dangerously high winds to the 30's and rain. After the front the temps will drop and there will be some snow . If you can wait until Thursday you'll have much better weather, at least on the extended forecast. Maybe some snow Sat or Sun.

BTW, this is for Clingmans Dome but any of the mountain areas around here will be about the same. North GA might be a few degrees warmer.

As long as 441 is open you can walk out the road to Clingman's done (or use the AT). It's about a 14-15 mile roundtrip. If the winds start blowing down trees or the snow starts piling up, they will close 441.
 Post Number: 3
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I actually just read that the road up to Mount Mitchell is typically plowed and people do a lot of snowshoeing & cross country skiing up there. I was on Wesser Bald on the AT this weekend and I could see snow up on Clingmans Dome in the distance. It is really, really windy & cold with a good wind chill on those high exposed peaks. Dress in layers with a good exterior layer to block the wind. Also watch for black ice on the trails on any of the rock steps. Def bring Trekking poles for extra stability.

Another peak to check on is Roan Mountain in TN. Its a 6000' peak and a public road goes up to Carvers Gap where you can park & hike from. They usually have snow up there.

Looks like some potential for snow this weekend in the high peaks of the Southern Appalachians.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info so far.  We stealth camped in the Mt. Rogers area last night through a brutal wind storm.  Drove up to Grayson Highlands this morning and was going to hike up, but the roads were impassable with downed trees.  Lots of thick ice in the trees up high.  We're heading down to Georgia to grab Brasstown Bald now.  Will try for Mitchell / Clingman / Rogers again over the next few days.

Just talked to someone at Mitchell.  The park is closed, as is the Blue Ridge Parkway coming in from both directions, so no good way to even get there at this point.

441 to Newfound Gap for the hike up to Clingmans just reopened about an hour ago.  Hopefully it stays that way.
-K
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kls1891 @ Dec. 27 2012, 11:32 am)
Thanks for the info so far.  We stealth camped in the Mt. Rogers area last night through a brutal wind storm.  Drove up to Grayson Highlands this morning and was going to hike up, but the roads were impassable with downed trees.  Lots of thick ice in the trees up high.  We're heading down to Georgia to grab Brasstown Bald now.  Will try for Mitchell / Clingman / Rogers again over the next few days.

Just talked to someone at Mitchell.  The park is closed, as is the Blue Ridge Parkway coming in from both directions, so no good way to even get there at this point.

441 to Newfound Gap for the hike up to Clingmans just reopened about an hour ago.  Hopefully it stays that way.
-K

U trying to do the highest peaks in GA, NC & VA?

You should be fine at Brasstown. Which trail you taking to the top? Jacks Knob or Arkaquah?

I was wondering about the BRP being closed around Mt. Mitchell. That's what I always thought. Then I read an article about them plowing it and people snowshoeing up there. How the heck do you get up there if the roads are closed???
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep.  We're trying to get the high points.  Haven't had much of a chance in this part of the country in the past so trying to pound them out now.

The BRP is closed until April 2013, heading north from Asheville to Mt. Mitchell for construction.  The BRP is currently closed heading south towards Mt. Mitchell as well due to the snow/ice/winds yesterday.  This is just a temporary closure.  Hoping it's lifted tomorrow.
 Post Number: 7
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HikerDude73 @ Dec. 27 2012, 10:46 am)
I was wondering about the BRP being closed around Mt. Mitchell. That's what I always thought. Then I read an article about them plowing it and people snowshoeing up there. How the heck do you get up there if the roads are closed???

From Hwy 80, you can take S Toe River Rd to Black Mtn Campground.  There's a trail from there up to Mitchell...about five miles iirc, and only about 3600 ft of elevation gain.

Those roads might be open when the BRP is closed. Might.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 9:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's the exact route we're attempting tomorrow morning (Black Mountain CG) since the BRP is closed in both directions and probably will be for the next few days. Hope we can get to the trailhead and then up to Mitchell (expecting weather tonight). Sounds like they've got 12+ inches of snow up there now and expecting more tonight.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So what was the snow report like up there?

Pics????
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snow varied based on location.  Here's how things worked out.

Brasstown Bald (GA):  We got this highpoint on 12/27.  The road to the top was closed due to ice, so we hiked the ~7 miles.  There were a few icy spots and some snow dusting along the way.  Nothing too interesting.

Clingmans Dome (TN):  We got this highpoint on 12/28. The road to the top was closed for the winter (as it always is).  We hiked the ~16 miles round trip from Newfound Gap to the summit.  There was about 3-4 inches of snow up top with a few icy patches.  Again, nothing to challenging, but the views were great, as were some of the icicle formations.

Mt. Mitchell (NC):  We got this high point on 12/29.  We thought this might be the most challenging, but it turned out it wasn't.  The state park was closed as was the Blue Ridge Parkway in both directions that would get you to the park.  As such we had to hike the ~12 miles round trip from Black Mountain Campground.  ~3700 feet of gain.  There was snow from the bottom up.  Starting with maybe an inch, ending with about 8 inches at the top.  There was a lot of ice on the top third.  The entire summit area was covered in at least an inch of ice.  There was no one at the summit.  Winds were howling.  I would estimate 20-25 mph sustained with gusts much above that.  Microspikes made the climb and descent pretty straightforward.  Would have been tough without some traction gear.  Scariest part was the windchill at the top and the threat of trees coming down due to the winds and them being covered in ice and snow.  We had no issues though.  I was actually expecting the climb to be more challenging based on what I'd read, but the gradient was pretty consistent which made it easy to get in a groove and knock it out.

Mt. Rogers (VA):  We got this high point on 12/30.  This ended up being the most challenging hike.  Total distance was around 9 miles roundtrip.  Temps were around 15 deg F.  Winds were equal to Mt. Mitchell, however, there is much more exposed terrain to deal with here, making the temps and winds more difficult.  There was more snow.  Started with around 6 inches.  Ended with around 12 inches near the top.  Ice was everywhere from beginning to end.  We had microspikes on the whole time.  The hike would have been nearly impossible without them.  Trees were caked in ice and snow the entire route making progress extremely difficult in some place.  The rhododendrons covered in snow/ice were a particular challenge as they hung very low.  At points we were literally crawling or bushwacking through icy branches to make progress.

Black Mountain (KY):  We got this high point on 12/30 as well.  The drive to this area was quite scenic.  We figured we'd have to hike the 3 miles roundtrip from the turn off at the mining road, however, when we got there the road looked to be in good enough condition that we could drive it.  There was about 3-4 inches of snow on the ground.  No ice, calm winds.  Couldn't find the USGS marker as it was buried somewhere in the snow, but the high point plaque was very evident.

I'll post some pics a little later.
 Post Number: 11
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a fun trip.  Looking forward to the photos.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a couple of corresponding pics.  I can share more individually if you're interested:

Brasstown Bald (GA):  
At the summit

At the summit

Clingmans Dome (TN):  
Near the summit

At the summit

Mt. Mitchell (NC):  
At the summit

Mt. Rogers (VA):  
On the way up

On the way up

At the summit

Black Mountain (KY):  
At the summit
 Post Number: 13
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nice! thanks for sharing your photos. what was your fave?

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They were all fun in their own way, but my favorite was probably Mt. Rogers.  The expansive views and gnarly conditions made it particularly memorable.
 Post Number: 15
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pics.  Thanks for sharing.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey you cheated! You were supposed to hike up Black Mountain...not drive up to the top! :)....J/K

Mount Mitchell looks more like Nome, Alaska and very freaking cold & icy.

I could see why you liked Mt. Rogers the best. Hiking through 6" - 12" of fresh snow is what its all about!

Nice compact hiking trip. Kudos!
 Post Number: 17
neodata686 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

5-8 inches of snow expected on Mt. Mitchell for Thursday! Headed up there Saturday morning from Black Mountain Campground off 80 then doing the Black Mountain Crest Trail. Hoping for lots of snow and ice!
16 replies since Dec. 24 2012, 11:18 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mt. Mitchell / Clingman / Mt. Rogers - snow?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions