2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Big South Fork NP, Dec. 18, 19, and Pickett State Park< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 11:51 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tuesday, December 18.
Slave Falls to Charit Creek Trail connecting to the Twin Arch loop.

Needle Arch

Slave Falls

North Twin Arch

South Twin Arch-so massive I couldn't fit it in a pic without backing up into the woods where the trees obscured the view.

I camped at nearby Pickett State Park, where I would also spend the first part of the morning.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wednesday morning.

Arch Lake.

Also at Pickett State Park, I visited Hazard Cave, and then the "Natural Bridge".

My camera got its modes switched without my realizing it, and the pics came out...kind of horrible, mostly.

Leaving Pickett State Park, I briefly visited the East Rim Overlook before heading into a nearby town to eat.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Early Wednesday afternoon.

Part of the sign from the Honey Creek Loop TH

The trail starts out like a normal walk in the woods.

The terrain quickly shows signs of changing to something a bit more rocky.

Soon, it turns to walking along a drainage with many small cascades and waterfalls interspersed with climbs up to, and along, a rising cliffline.

Colorful rock formations with wildly varied shapes will become the norm throughout this hike.

Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Repeatedly descending into drainages, then climbing back to the rock walls will also become the norm.

The trail is sometimes flat along the base of the cliffs, but because of the constant transition from high ground to waterways, the trail is usually at a fairly steep incline, or decline, depending on which way you're going.

Leaning cliff. This was like standing next to an ocean liner-has a bulge where the anchor would be near the bow and everything. I somehow accidentally deleted a bunch of pics from around this spot, which was a maze of large boulders, and very picturesque:( I stopped here for a short "break" climbing around on the boulders.

From this point there were also some views of the walls on the opposite side of the canyon.

Onward...
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Soon I reached a set of ladders that climbed up to the top of the cliff line. There are a couple of these, then some wooden steps and more uphill trail which ends at Honey Creek Overlook.

Back down the ladders...
What follows next is a steep and slippery descent all the way to the bottom of the canyon, and no pics were taken. I needed both my trekking poles, but it went quickly.

I had thought the trail would curve around and go right down to the river, but this was as close as it came.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are few things I love more than following a streambed uphill, and going up this drainage is where everything gets more. More exciting, more rugged, more beautiful, more dangerous, and more FUN!
Nonstop cascades and waterfalls, boulder-hopping...it was fantastic.

Part of the time you're in the streambed, others you get diverted around, over, and sometimes under house-sized boulders

I really liked this, even if I had to get prone to get a pic under there!:)

Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It took a moment to realize some of that was root and not rock!

Yes, this IS the trail!:D

Every now and then, you can even tell it's a trail!

After awhile, the trail climbs out of the drainage, and becomes "normal" again. And again, I think the hike must be over as the trail climbs back up to the upper cliffline.
Must be a tradition of putting cairns in this cave.

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But then it descends again, and things start to get interesting again!

This is Boulder House Falls.

I actually got lost here. It looked like the trail curved behind some boulders and headed downstream, so I headed downstream, too, just not on the "trail".

It shortly becomes impassable. I cast about looking for sign where the apparent trail continued, and could find nothing, so decided to take a break before climbing back up the hill to see if things looked different, or the trail had spurred off without my noticing.

Somewhere along the way, I looked over, and there was a freaking sign with an arrow right there. Duh...
It was on the left, and pointing upstream to a crack to the left of the Boulder House.
The next arrow was on a rock, and I guess it was fake, since all I could see at the back was a pile of rocks. The road to nowhere...

But there was another arrow.

Afterwards the trail begins to climb, and again, I'm sure the hike is over.

Nope..it heads downhill yet again. This time to what turns out to be Ice Castle Falls.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So now it's over for sure.
The trail heads up across a slickrock section, the woods seem to thin, and I start to look for the ridgeline, and the outline of my truck against the sky through the trees.

Instead, it goes downhill again.
I'd been hearing a waterfall down below, and wondering if the trail might loop around to it. Sure enough, it does.
Rather steeply, at that! There's actually a little bridge just to the left of this slide, but I kept it out of the pic.

The trail winds around some walls into an undercut amphitheater which is the home of Honey Creek Falls.

Best I could do with the sun hammering down right on the edge.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I figured it was getting close to the end for real this time, and decided to take another break to ramble around some piles of debris, and just enjoy the waterfall for a few minutes.

Leaving Honey Creek Falls, the trail again begins to climb.

It also begins to look normal again.

And finally, a familiar sight.
 Post Number: 11
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful place! Been there and done most of that.  Have not seen Slave Falls, but will return. I spend a lot of time up that way these days.   Thanks for sharing your trip report. You had a far prettier trip than I did. When I was there it was Summer and nearly bone dry!

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nice photos, Owen. Honey Creek is one of my favorites.

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, I loved it! That loop, well, that day, starting at Arch Lake then finishing with the Honey Creek Loop(which really suits me), was one of the high points of my year. A very full, satisfying day from start to finish.
 Post Number: 14
bukkit Search for posts by this member.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Apostrophes, Founder

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 for all the things everyone above said; Honey Creek Loop is by far the favorite after the loop last year. Made a base camp on Friday, loved the loop all Saturday long, hiked out Sunday. Great weekend bp trip!

Wish I had the chance to take as many gorgeous pics as you did - thanks for the reminders! : )

--------------
"If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees." ~ Kahlil Gibran
13 replies since Jan. 01 2013, 11:51 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Big South Fork NP, Dec. 18, 19
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions