2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Walls of Jericho, Dec. 26, 27< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Arriving late in the afternoon.

Spring from a cave...

..which crosses the trail, and feeds this a moment later.

The trail a couple of miles further, before the...

..second creek crossing over a log bridge. This has often been dry, or almost so, most of the times I've been here(this was my 6th time, 2nd this year).

Made camp just before dark.

Trail crossing at the back of the canyon, just before entering the amphiteater of the Walls.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking up toward the Grotto from above the amphitheater.

Just beyond, you can see the waterfall.

The falls in were flowing really well.

Looking down into the Walls on the way out.

Looking down into the amphitheater of the Walls.

Water from the falls coming out of the cave:

My new Icebreaker Bodyfit150 long sleeve T. Nice, but merino ain't all that at 80% humidity...

Anyway, it was a nice spot for breakfast.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Following the water.

Had to cross several times within a few minutes...

This is actually the same place as the pic before last. Had to turn around, and climb back up the side to the trail, since the water got deeper, and there wasn't a way back across within sight.

Toward the mouth of the canyon, it gets wider, and the water splits up then comes back together to feed into the creek from the second crossing above.

Some of the rock formations otw out had icicles hanging on them. Not something you get to see a lot of around here!

Only six miles round trip, but man, I love that place.
 Post Number: 4
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's some really beautiful terrain. Where exactly is the Walls of Jericho located?

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
 Post Number: 5
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is the prettiest, best trip report I've ever seen posted on this location. I had put it way at the bottom of my list, but you've changed my mind about it. THIS sort of thing is why I love the Cumberland Plateau so much.  Pure magic.  Thanks very much for sharing. Your photos are outstanding. You have a real eye for this sort of thing!

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you!
It's beautiful toward the end of spring, too.

I love hiking down the stream, even took water shoes and wetsocks so I could wade in it this past March, though the foliage wasn't in yet, then.

Kevin,
It's where AL Hwy 79 hits the TN border just above Hytop, AL.
In AL, I59 to the same exit as DeSoto State Park and Little River Canyon, then east on Hwy 35 past Rainsville 'til it meets 79, and turn north.
 Post Number: 7
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Jan. 01 2013, 2:41 pm)
Kevin,
It's where AL Hwy 79 hits the TN border just above Hytop, AL.
In AL, I59 to the same exit as DeSoto State Park and Little River Canyon, then east on Hwy 35 past Rainsville 'til it meets 79, and turn north.

Exit 218 on I-59.  AL-35 North through Rainsville to Scottsboro (35 makes a left [Willow St] in Scottsboro), then AL-79 North.

Nice shots, Owen.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 8
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful country.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 9
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great report. Great looking water hike with lots of nooks & crannies to explore. I have not heard this area. I've done Desoto Falls. I'll have to keep this one in mind. TFS.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 12:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, y'all. One of the good things about it is that it's short. Even though it's a bit of a drive, I come here sometimes when pressed for time. At six miles round trip, it makes for a quick easy overnighter, or a good dayhike. If you have time, there's also the West Rim Trail,  an in/out that follows the top of the canyon and gives good views of the opposite cliff line, and the 4.7 mile Bear Den Loop that also starts from the AL side parking lot. I have yet to do that loop, but will get around to it one of these days.
 Post Number: 11
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Jan. 03 2013, 11:49 pm)
Thanks, y'all. One of the good things about it is that it's short. Even though it's a bit of a drive, I come here sometimes when pressed for time. At six miles round trip, it makes for a quick easy overnighter, or a good dayhike. If you have time, there's also the West Rim Trail,  an in/out that follows the top of the canyon and gives good views of the opposite cliff line, and the 4.7 mile Bear Den Loop that also starts from the AL side parking lot. I have yet to do that loop, but will get around to it one of these days.

Bear in mind that this whole area is a Wildlife Management Area, so check the hunting schedule before you go, just so you'll be prepared.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
10 replies since Jan. 01 2013, 12:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Walls of Jericho, Dec. 26, 27
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions