2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: West Central GA Hiking, Pine Mountain< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 3:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got in a nice quick afternoon 7 miler hike last weekend. Its all we had time for but it ended up being real fun. Pine Mountain and the FDR state park in West Central Georgia about 90 miles south of Atlanta has some nice trails. There nothing like the steeper Appalachians but for those in central or southern GA/AL and even those in Northern Florida this might be an area for you to check out and get some hikes in at. It's actually better than you might think.

Big Poplar Loop

Here is a quick hike report of one of the loops we did.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Mudslide1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 9:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im gonna have to complete this trail this winter! My son did an out and back of 16 miles about 2 yrs ago starting on the south end, but I really want to do the entire 23 miles. It WILL happen before it gets warm!! Doing the Skyway Loop this weekend, or I'd do it then. :)
 Post Number: 3
Mudslide1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mudslide1 @ Jan. 06 2013, 9:13 am)
Im gonna have to complete this trail this winter! My son did an out and back of 16 miles about 2 yrs ago starting on the south end, but I really want to do the entire 23 miles. It WILL happen before it gets warm!! Doing the Skyway Loop this weekend, or I'd do it then. :)

Meant to say *my son and I went* He wouldnt go by himself, bigfoot would get him :D

Great pics btw! Forgot how nice that place is.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mudslide1 @ Jan. 06 2013, 4:39 pm)
Great pics btw! Forgot how nice that place is.

Yeah it's not a bad little area. In fact me & my two sons did another 6.5 mile afternoon loop hike this weekend there as well.

Wolfden Loop
 Post Number: 5
adambl82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did an overnight there last weekend.  I often go there by myself when I'm looking to get in some miles for an upcoming hike.  It's only about an hour away for me.  Does anyone know why the fee is now $9 a night per person on a backcountry site?  I figured it may have been an effort to raise money after the tornado went through.  If you have 4 people, it's cheaper to stay at a campground.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(adambl82 @ Jan. 09 2013, 10:04 am)
I did an overnight there last weekend. áI often go there by myself when I'm looking to get in some miles for an upcoming hike. áIt's only about an hour away for me. áDoes anyone know why the fee is now $9 a night per person on a backcountry site? áI figured it may have been an effort to raise money after the tornado went through. áIf you have 4 people, it's cheaper to stay at a campground.

I'm not sure about that but it could be the reason. Personally I think every State is searching for more revenue to keep things like State parks open & operating. I know in GA they talked about closing some last year because of not enough money. They raised day park passes from $3 to $5 a couple years ago as well.

But honestly to only pay $9 for a back country campsite on maintained trails system is still a bargain IMO. $9 is about the cost of movie ticket these days for 2hrs of entertainment. So a full 2 days of hiking & a overnight campsite for the same price is nothing.
5 replies since Jan. 03 2013, 3:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply West Central GA Hiking
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions