2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A bit of Cheaha, Jan. 2-3< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 9:55 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I set out from the parking lot on 281 outside Turnipseed Hunter's Camp to do the Skyway Loop at noon on Wednesday. Halfway along the Pinhoti section, I tweaked my ankle pretty painfully, so wrapped it and turned around and hiked ~5 miles back to where I parked. On the way, my ankle mysteriously just stopped hurting, so I continued on another 1.5 miles to Cheaha Falls Shelter, then hiked another couple of miles to the Devil's Den and back out Thursday morning. Almost as much distance as the whole loop, just did half of the Pinhoti and most of the Chinnabee Silent Trail twice...had a great time, regardless!

You can normally almost step across this stream.

I've never seen the Chinnabee or the Pinhoti down from Little Caney Head so wet. There was water standing in the trail, little waterfalls coming down the trail to meet me on the way up the mountain, streams crossing it, and springs flowing that I'd never seen before.

Before even reaching the top of the mountain, I was hiking in the clouds.  

For those familiar with this area, this is the spring just before the Chinnabee hits the Pinhoti.

The Pinhoti section was bonechilling and not much for views off the mountain.
This part is usually dry...

I usually stop here, because it's a "scenic overlook".

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Above Cheaha Falls.

Cheaha Falls

All of these are from the "Devil's Den" or upstream from it.

This is where I had breakfast:

Had to pass Cheaha Falls again on the way out.
 Post Number: 3
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

dang dude, you's been on a role. Cheaha looks like fun -- gonna have to check that one out.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I'm usually less active through the winter, but decided not to get in my yearly slump this time around.
It IS a beautiful area!
 Post Number: 5
rophle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's good to see there's water there. Last time I was there was in the middle of a summer drought and the waterfalls barely had a trickle going over them.
 Post Number: 6
CBarron Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 5:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is awesome to see folks from AL on here!  I recently did a 2 day solo trip. Stayed one night at Cheaha Falls shelter, then hiked the next day from the shelter to Odum, then down to Adam's Gap, then up the road back to my car at the Turnipseed Camp parking lot. I love Devil's Den by the way. That's the spot I take people to during the spring/summer to get them hooked on backpacking.
 Post Number: 7
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice! That is a lot of water.
Those rocky trails are just a misstep away from a sprained ankle.  :;):
 Post Number: 8
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow! Thanks for sharing this great trip report! What a beautiful area. Your photos do a fine job of showing it off.  It is almost impossible to choose a favorite from this batch of pix.  I especially like the green rocks in the red fallen leaves, stream winding thru the woods with mist, and the waterfall shots of course.

So pretty!  Dang it! You folks just keep making my TO DO list longer, longer, and longer.  

:-)

Glad you had a good time and were kind enough to share it here!

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, y'all. Obviously that was my first trip of the year. Last year, I spent 7 nights at Cheaha, and about 5 more on the Pinhoti, so you could say I like the area!
 Post Number: 10
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CBarron @ Feb. 05 2013, 4:05 am)
This is awesome to see folks from AL on here!  I recently did a 2 day solo trip. Stayed one night at Cheaha Falls shelter, then hiked the next day from the shelter to Odum, then down to Adam's Gap, then up the road back to my car at the Turnipseed Camp parking lot. I love Devil's Den by the way. That's the spot I take people to during the spring/summer to get them hooked on backpacking.

There are a handful of us on here.

Sounds like you had a good trip too.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
9 replies since Jan. 04 2013, 9:55 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A bit of Cheaha, Jan. 2-3
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions