2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Florida folks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 11:35 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am dropping down for a 2 week kayak trip with Roger in a couple of weeks.  We will be heading to the Glades again.  Have you any cold snaps recently, or will the skeeters be terrible?  Any other advice, other than not wearing my red U of L gear?  :)  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's been a few years, but I was a young GI stationed on a Hawk site in the Glades back in the late 70's.  One winter in the early 80's it dropped down to 33 degrees in Homestead.

It does get cold at night this time of year, and the mosquitoes are always around during the day....

What I found a bigger annoyance were the sand fleas....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 3
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wear gloves this time. :D
 Post Number: 4
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My brother is in boca. Hang on and I will ask bout the bugs.  Its warm and been raining.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 5
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There were skeeters in my garage this week. I'm east of Roger and north, about 3 hrs, of the Everglades. It has been warm and rainy this week. Our highs are 80 or so for mid week. But usually end of Jan, start of Feb is our coldest time. Just keep an eye on whether we're getting a cold front. It can be in the 40's and 50's with a snap!

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 6
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Call Steve at adventure times kayaks. He will know.  Maybe the ranger station at Everglades city? My brother got bitten in his garage. Too.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 7
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(theo @ Jan. 05 2013, 7:28 am)
Wear gloves this time. :D

No kidding!  I had them on the top of my list, after last year's debacle.  

OK, looks like I will bring my head net this time, as well.  More sunscreen, more Deet, more bourbon.  10 days on the water, new to me boat, good partner.  What else could I need?  OK, so a willing mermaid, but I hear those are fictitious.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mosquitoes abound in a swamp.  Even at freezing temps!  :)

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 9
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mermaids – Sure we have mermaids!  They look a little better if you have been out to sea for a few months.  

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 10
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd hit it.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Jan. 05 2013, 6:40 pm)
I'd hit it.

Well just get on I-75 and drive south.  I think I can arrange a meeting :)

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 12
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Roger @ Jan. 05 2013, 7:55 pm)

I'd hit it.

No doubt. It looks like way too much fun. I just got my schedule though April but I don't trust it yet. One thing I have learned from the company I work for now is that the schedule is merely a general idea of what is to be expected.  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 13
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Skeeters are always bad in the glades. "Cold snap" is nights in the 50's and days in the mid 70's.
 Post Number: 14
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Jan. 05 2013, 11:10 pm)

I'd hit it.

No doubt. It looks like way too much fun. I just got my schedule though April but I don't trust it yet. One thing I have learned from the company I work for now is that the schedule is merely a general idea of what is to be expected.  :D

Look at the week of 3/25. We can share a ride from your house.
Work might get in my way too.  :(
 Post Number: 15
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am scheduled to work currently.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Jan. 07 2013, 3:17 pm)

(eyebp @ Jan. 05 2013, 11:10 pm)

I'd hit it.

Look at the week of 3/25. We can share a ride from your house.
Work might get in my way too.  :(

Well just tell them you have other plans.  Just mention my name I am sure they will agree to let you have the time off. :)

--------------
 Post Number: 17
swampsis Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

guess you have probably done your paddle by now.

If not I just did a section of the Florida trail from Billie's swamp safari to Lake Okeechobee and nary a skeeter to be seen.  they are harvesting the cane right now and the smoke and flying ash was a little annoying though.

Swampsis
 Post Number: 18
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, I am off the water now. Skeeters weren't too bad, but the noseeums drove us into our shelters around 5 pm on 5 of the 8 nights. I will post a TR in Storytelling in a couple of days. Need to process the pics first.

--------------

Post Number: 19
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yea, well, I tried to warn you about the sand fleas....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 20
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 1:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Roger said y'all had a nice trip. I'm glad that it was. I hope to have an abbreviated version in about six weeks or so.  :)
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, it was a great trip!  We went to Everglades City and started our ~100 mile paddle of the Wilderness Waterway on the 17th and finished at Flamingo on the 25th.  It was some of the best paddling weather that I have had for a 9 day period.   We then returned to Tampa and went on paddling trips the next few days on the Chassahowitzka, Ocklawaha, Silver, and Hillsborough River.   You will have to wait for the trip report for the details and pictures.  

The no-see-ums were bad only when we were on or near the gulf.  The inland sites had far fewer bugs.  

Now to get ready for my next everglades paddle at the end of February and then another trip at the end of March with cgaphiker.   :)

--------------
 Post Number: 22
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I mapped put our route this morning on a site I use for trails, and nearly 5000 way points later, the water route was 103.7 miles, including our little side trips and detours.  

--------------

Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those of you that are looking for the trip report it can be found in Storytelling.  Thanks olzeke!

The picture below was taken at Everglades National Park center in Everglades City at the start of the trip.  

--------------
 Post Number: 24
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heading down to Long Pine tomorrow. Supposed to go down to 49! that night. And here I was debating whether or not to bring my 30 degree down bag, heh.
23 replies since Jan. 04 2013, 11:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Florida folks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions