2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hiker found< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 11:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just read that they found an overdue hiker dead in the tricorner knob shelter.  Don't know the details but very sad.  

http://www.knoxnews.com/news....ner=RSS
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ethanr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We hiked from Mt Leconte to Icewater Saturday and spent the night there.  Headed out to Newfound Gap Sunday morning.  There was a guy who came in to the shelter late that night from Tricorners, he had to have passed him on the trail.  Something you hate to hear for sure.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't seen anything else about it.  I'm curious if it was weather related or a health issue.
 Post Number: 4
appalhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very sad about one of our fellow hikers. I just hope he didn't suffer and just went to sleep. That's one of the most remote places in the park and in the entire south so I just hope he or she wasn't able to walk to due to an injury. I know when I started to get hypothermia one time, I just wanted to lay down and go to sleep. Thank god I had my best friend with me at the time to help me. Happened at Gregory's Bald.
 Post Number: 5
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 1:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Likewise havent heard of anything else....

Ill drop an emaim in the morning to the pio and ask if anything new is on it.......
 Post Number: 6
wornoutboots Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard he was trying to day hike 30 miles? That's tough for anyone with the small amount of day light we have. If you were prepared to night hike a bit, you would've normally been prepared to stay out if needed??

--------------
Take time to watch the trees dance with the wind......then join in
 Post Number: 7
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

here's what i got from the park's pio a few minutes ago...

"Great Smoky Mountains National Park Rangers have identified the deceased hiker found at Tricorner Knob as Richard Lemarr, age 50, from Knoxville, TN. Due to the remote location and inclement weather, Tennessee Highway Patrol successfully evacuated the deceased today using their hoist helicopter.

Lemarr was discovered deceased at Tricorner Knob Shelter by Rangers early Wednesday afternoon, January 16, 2013. Lemarr left Newfound Gap on Saturday morning intending to hike 30 miles along the Appalachian Trail to Davenport Gap in North Carolina. Rangers have remained at Tricorner Knob Shelter since the discovery and the shelter has been closed to the public.  

Park Rangers are investigating the incident with the assistance of the Swain County Medical Examiner’s Office. The cause of death does not appear to be suspicious.
""
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow!  He's been there since the 16th.  Its such a sad story.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any word on what caused his death?
8 replies since Jan. 16 2013, 11:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hiker found
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions