2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Southern Snow!, Who's hiking in it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 9:53 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of all the weekends I have plans I can't get out of mother nature decides to hit the southern Appalachians with a heavy dose of the white stuff  :(  Blowing Rock, NC is supposed to get 5" - 9" of snow and well over a 12" could fall on the highest peaks.

I really, really wish I could go hiking up there this weekend!!! %@$*!

Who's got plans to enjoy it? I want to see pictures posted of your weekend snow hikes!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im thonking about it----but i have to make it a close short one as i work on sunday.......

However, it also depends upon how work goes between now and saturday morning......

Im.in a meeting where we are planning our snow coverage.....
 Post Number: 3
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wish. I've been hiking in Southern rain the last two months, or at least Southern mud and standing water when it isn't raining.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

fwiw...........at 3 pm knoxville time---we're getting the snow.....

right now at 345 pm--i'd say about half inch on ground of wet snow.......it's coming down pretty good......
 Post Number: 5
adambl82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A friend of mine and I have been planning a trip for this weekend.  The latest plans were to go to Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock. We wanted to do the AT from Standing Indian Campground to NOC, but don't have a shuttle.  Coming from South Georgia, would we have any trouble getting to Slickrock? Road closings, etc.  I assume 441 is the only one?  I would love to hike in some snow.  We could change plans to do so.  Any suggestions to see some?  I figure it will melt quickly in the afternoons since it will be sunny and in the 40s/50s in the afternoons.  May just be really muddy.  We're coming in Friday night, leaving Monday afternoon.  Looking to get about 30 miles, but snow and mud would slow us down of course.
 Post Number: 6
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 5:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have about 4" here in Gatlinburg right now. It almost quit a few min ago but it's coming down hard again. The weatherman just reported "several more inches" for the mountains but that usually means just the upper elevations in the Smokies. I would be surprised if up there ends up with less than 12".

I might get out Sat but tomorrow I'll be shoveling the driveway so I can get out tomorrow afternoon.

If anyone is planning a trip be sure to check road conditions. Newfound Gap and Cherohala Skyway are both closed (for a long time) and Western North Carolina has many roads closed due to slides from all the rain we have had this week. Also don't plan any river crossings, there's a lot of water around here and it's not going to go back to normal for quite a while.

update: Little River Road (Gatlinburg to Cades Cove) is closed due to a slide. No more information.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

it's kinda quit here in knoxville at ten minutes to 6.......

and yeah........and stream crossings are going to be high the next couple of days....

we (knoxville) got a ton of rain all week, with some of the heaviest it seemed today, along with this snow......

i would think that cherohala skyway might close down for snow.............thats a very lightly used road, and not sure what the priority to get it cleared is.....
 Post Number: 8
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 6:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cherohala is closed for a unknown amount of time for a rock slide.
 Post Number: 9
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 8:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(adambl82 @ Jan. 17 2013, 5:24 pm)
A friend of mine and I have been planning a trip for this weekend.  The latest plans were to go to Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock. We wanted to do the AT from Standing Indian Campground to NOC, but don't have a shuttle.  Coming from South Georgia, would we have any trouble getting to Slickrock? Road closings, etc.  I assume 441 is the only one?  I would love to hike in some snow.  We could change plans to do so.  Any suggestions to see some?  I figure it will melt quickly in the afternoons since it will be sunny and in the 40s/50s in the afternoons.  May just be really muddy.  We're coming in Friday night, leaving Monday afternoon.  Looking to get about 30 miles, but snow and mud would slow us down of course.

Standing Indian would be a good place to start. You may want to hike north on the AT and then just backtrack. You may not find much snow in this area however except for atop Standing Indian. I just looked at the webcam in Highlands, NC (4,100') and there is no snow on the ground there.

If you want snow you might have to hike the Smokey's. You could park at Fontana Dam just north of Robbinsville and hike the AT north from there and hit Shuckstack Tower on the way up towards Clingmans Dome. You'll be in the snow there for sure & the view of Lake Fontana from the tower is amazing!

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/shuckstack.htm
 Post Number: 10
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 8:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Jan. 17 2013, 5:55 pm)
it's kinda quit here in knoxville at ten minutes to 6.......

and yeah........and stream crossings are going to be high the next couple of days....

we (knoxville) got a ton of rain all week, with some of the heaviest it seemed today, along with this snow......

i would think that cherohala skyway might close down for snow.............thats a very lightly used road, and not sure what the priority to get it cleared is.....

yeah, ya'll be careful crossing those streams.  I know Bryson is darn near flooded by the Tuck.  My house on Deep Creek almost got flooded too.  It looks like a class 5 rapid.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 11
Tuttle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, how much snow did you guys (Smokies) end up getting?  The park's Purchase Knob cam doesn't look like much & the LeConte blog hasn't been updated yet.  Heading to Gatlinburg tonight.
 Post Number: 12
adambl82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think I want to deal with Park permits since we'll be getting in late tonight and hope to hike in and camp tonight.  Maybe I should go to Shining Rock for some higher altitude.  I don't want to be blocked 4 ft deep river crossing.  

If you were going this weekend where would you go?  (anyone)

Thanks
 Post Number: 13
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(adambl82 @ Jan. 18 2013, 9:04 am)
I don't think I want to deal with Park permits since we'll be getting in late tonight and hope to hike in and camp tonight.  Maybe I should go to Shining Rock for some higher altitude.  I don't want to be blocked 4 ft deep river crossing.  

If you were going this weekend where would you go?  (anyone)

Thanks

The water's going to be up most everywhere, either from rain or melt or both.  Sipsey gage is still a few feet above normal, though not as high as earlier in the week.

We hiked in the snow yesterday.  Hiked through the woods and fields to the golf course and sledded until it was just too sloppy to go any more.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
12 replies since Jan. 17 2013, 9:53 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Southern Snow!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions