2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sheltowee Trail, 302 miles of Awesome< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rajuncajun81 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 2:01 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am planning a trip in June to walk the 302 miles of the Sheltowee Trail in Kentucky. The trip will take me about 10-15 days depending on the area and locations to check out. Has anyone walked this trail before? I hear there are good locations to check out on the trail. This is my post deployment walk-about. It will be good to have my wife and kids link up with me at different sections of the trail. It's always good to cleanse the soul after a deployment.  

Here is the link
http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i've hiked bits and pieces of it..........

used to live in lexington, so i would do parts of it over the years i lived there......

one thing to take into consideration-----at times, at least back then, the trail would be tough to follow......

some parts are maintained---a good chunk are not maintained.....

also......some parts cut across private land....just be aware of that......
 Post Number: 3
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

checkout The Outcasts blog ... group of firefightin' backpackers from Murfreesboro. i think they've hiked the whole 302...

http://theoutcastshikeagain.blogspot.com/search....20Trace

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 4
smeet5150 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It just got extended this year down to Latherwood Ford. Had a buddy section hike it last year and he is going this weekend to do the new section. There is a project coming up soon to take it another 5 miles to Honey Creek.
 Post Number: 5
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done a section hike around the Red River Gorge.  It's a nice trail.  Some road hiking but it's mostly rural, low traffic roads.  Definitely some great stops along the trail including Cumberland Falls and rock formations in RRG.  

Enjoy!

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 11:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(smeet5150 @ Jan. 24 2013, 10:01 pm)
It just got extended this year down to Latherwood Ford. Had a buddy section hike it last year and he is going this weekend to do the new section. There is a project coming up soon to take it another 5 miles to Honey Creek.

are you thinking of the John Muir Trail? is there new news about completing the missing section by hooking up to Honey Creek? i feel like they've been saying that for years.

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 7
smeet5150 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Jan. 25 2013, 11:28 am)

(smeet5150 @ Jan. 24 2013, 10:01 pm)

are you thinking of the John Muir Trail? is there new news about completing the missing section by hooking up to Honey Creek? i feel like they've been saying that for years.

yup, i got an email from the STA about needing volunteers for the project to actually make a trail where the JMT is through there.  I hiked that section back in 2000 and it was only a pig trail in spots, nothing in others.
6 replies since Jan. 21 2013, 2:01 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sheltowee Trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions