2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Savage Gulf, Greeter loop, Big Creek Gulf and Rim< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 4:45 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I got off work Tuesday morning, I drove up to TN to Savage Gulf, which I've been meaning to check out for over a year, but hadn't gotten around to. Not a bad drive at about 3hr, and now I see I'll be up there a couple of more times in the near future.
On the way to the Stone Door entrance, I stopped and did the Greeter Falls loop, a short loop with several waterfalls, and opportunities to ramble down in the ravines. In the afternoon, I visited Laurel Falls by the Stone Door ranger office, and walked the mile to the Stone Door and the Laurel Gulf overlook before camping at the Stone Door campground for the night. It was 27F when I got to the Greeter Falls parking area, and it went to 17F last night. Aside from a group camped in another part of the park, according to the ranger I had Savage Gulf all to myself.
This morning, I set out to do the Big Creek Gulf and Big Creek Rim trails, intending to spend the night at Alum Gap. The hike is only 10.2 miles total, including the side trail to Ranger Falls, and to and from the Stone Door. In spite of intentionally wasting a couple of hours, multiple trips down to the creek and climbs back out when glimpsing rapids or small falls from the trail, and it taking several tries to successfully cross the creek to access the Ranger Falls trail, I was still at Alum Gap by lunch time(that's quite an uphill up to Alum Gap, though!). So it became a dayhike, as from that point I'd seen everything there was to see, and only had 4.2 miles of flat hiking on the plateau left.

From the Greeter Falls loop:
Upper Greeter Falls

Lower Greeter Falls

I don't know what this one is called. Have to get off the trail down in a ravine to get to it...

Upper and Lower Boardtree Falls

Upper Boardtree Falls

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 4:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From behind the Stone Door ranger station:
Laurel Falls. I went down to it twice, since some moron took the battery out of my camera, and had it charging up in the car after the Greeter loop.

From Laurel Gulf Overlook:

The Stone Door.

From the Big Creek Gulf:
"You can't get to Ranger Falls right now." Huh? "The creek is too high, you can't get across around there."
Translation: "Noone else will be at Ranger Falls."
Well, there was noone else out there, anyway, though a guy signed the dayhiker register this afternoon.

This is one of those "disappearing falls" that flows into a sinkhole, and goes underground, so there's nothing going downstream from it. There was ice on the rocks over 75ft+ away from the spray freezing, though it was most obvious right around the falls.

Less obvious than the ones that are white with it near the falls, but the rocks have a clear coat of ice all the way back to here.

I assume this one is a seasonal fall, flowing into the creek.

Chockstone that caught my eye just around the corner from the falls.

Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 4:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cascade nearing the top of the canyon. Drops hundreds of feet to the creek, and would make a great little cascading adventure with some rappel gear(I have a plan-someday!).

These are from the Rim trail, on the way back.
A tree.

Another tree.

Would have stayed and done the Savage Falls Day loop in the morning, but I have to work tomorrow night, and may get some overtime working evening shift, so it will have to wait.
What a wonderful place! I loved that Greeter loop and the Big Creek Gulf. Can't wait to hike the rest of the park.
 Post Number: 4
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nice... i love that place. the water's very high, it looks like. where was that mystery falls? do you remember? i'd say it must be a wet-weather drainage but that looks like a pretty substantial falls.

i highly recommend that you check out the Collins Loop next.

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 5
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Jan. 24 2013, 4:46 am)
Chockstone that caught my eye just around the corner from the falls.

there's a sink here that --in normal flow times-- swallows the creek whole... the rest of the way downstream is usually dry. when that hole isn't full of water you climb around behind that separated chunk of rock and through a crevice that'll leads to the top of the rock.

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was looking for that sink. The trail description said the creek flowed into it, so I was ???

The mystery fall is just a few minutes before Boardtree Falls coming from Greeter Falls. Checked the properties on my pics, and my last pic of it, and first pic of Boardtree are only 9 minutes apart. I could hear it, but not see it, and went down a slope. Lots of down and rotted trees and loose earth over rock that I was careful not to slide on and disturb. It wasn't bad, but probably not for kids or the accident-prone.
Collins Loop is what I was going to do next. Thanks!
 Post Number: 7
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Me and a couple of friends did that same loop a couple of Easters ago. The spiral staircase floored me when I saw it.  :)
Beautiful place!
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd read about the staircase last year, but had forgotten about where it was, so it was a surprise for me. I started laughing when I saw it, it was just...unexpected.
Here it be!
 Post Number: 9
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pictures  . . . the Cumberland Plateau in winter -- especially at high water -- is certainly a most enchanting landscape.

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Six months later...
Some pics from yesterday and this morning. Same stuff as the original thread, but done a little differently.
Did a similar route as an overnighter, but starting at the Stone Door Ranger station yesterday afternoon, camping at Alum Gap last night, then doing the Greeter Falls trail as an in/out, and back by the Laurel Trail, which I hadn't hiked before.

Laurel Falls.

Have I mentioned that I really like Ranger Falls?

Pictures make it look shorter, and the water look shallower, than it is.

Friend of mine just gave me a "StickPic" thing that attaches a camera to your trekking pole.

The small fall by where Big Creek goes underground.

And the sink...

Sunrise this morning(rained yesterday evening and some last night):
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Above Boardtree  Falls.

Upper Boardtree Falls.

Lower Boardtree Falls.

Upper Greeter Falls.

Lower Greeter Falls.

The spiral staircase.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I slept in my car Tuesday night at the Fiery Gizzard TH, but decided to change plans since it was pouring down rain, and the forecast had changed to rain throughout Wednesday.
Having not done the North Plateau trail at Savage Gulf, I drove back up there, and did a quick overnighter to Hobb's Cabin, doing the back side of the Savage Day Loop(which I also hadn't done) on the way out this morning.

Decided to test the frogg toggs ultralight poncho.
The Hunchback of Savage Gulf:

This was to be the norm for a good part of the day.

From the suspension bridge early in the Savage Day Loop.

Savage Falls

Above Savage Falls

And from a side trail to the Savage Falls Overlook
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The North Plateau isn't very picturesque, but you start along the rim, and it puts you back on the rim above Hobb's Cabin. It finally stopped raining just in time for the latter(though it rained some more later, and during the night, and this morning..).

Top of the Connector Trail

My night-time trip to the outhouse by the cabin wasn't totally uneventful.

Almost zero vis this morning.

Stream on the way out.

Lone whitetail sighting of the week on the way out.
 Post Number: 14
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What a diffrence six months makes. That snake would've scared the crap out of me during a late night bathroom break.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, it's a lot prettier in the winter time!
I'd been talking about snakes with a couple I shared the cabin with, and that little joker was on the trail between me and the cabin on the way back, so I was "Hey, you wanted to see a copperhead? Oh, grab my camera!"
 Post Number: 16
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2013, 1:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice! It's a beautiful place.
 Post Number: 17
Ewker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2013, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have heard there are a lot of copperheads at Hobbs cabin. They stay under there during the day and come out at night.
Supposedly one woman was staying in the cabin and got up to go to the bathroom. There were over 25 snakes outside of the cabin...yikes
16 replies since Jan. 24 2013, 4:45 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Savage Gulf
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions