2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Where can you do canoe and backpack combo?, River-running not flatwater< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
topshot Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 12:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm double posting this in the Midwest section, too, since that's where we're located (Indiana).

I'm looking for places that we can rent canoes, go 1-4 days downstream and then backpack back to the car on some decent trails (minimal road walking). The only 2 places I know of are in the Southern section.

* Big South Fork (though the trails don't seem like you could get back to Leatherwood Ford bridge very easy)
* Buffalo National River and the Buffalo River Trail

Anything else?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For the Buffalo, come in the early spring.  Backpacking Arkansas in the summer can be a death defying act and not just because of the heat.  You can be entirely consumed by ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes.  All they will find is a dried out skin husk!  Start out as far upstream as you can depending on river levels.  Check river level here - http://arkansascanoeclub.camp7.org/Default.aspx?pageId=471367 - click on the "Ozark Creek Information Summary", and then pick which section of the Buffalo you want to paddle.  If you think you might like some company for the paddle section, post your intentions on the Arkansas Canoe Club web site.  We love showing off "our" river.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My preference would be first week of April. I've been corresponding with Buffalo Adventures and given my experience (good course work but little practical) and that I'll have my 6 year old with me, he's recommending I don't try it when it's over 3'. He also said I likely couldn't run the upper portion the first week of June, which would be the next window.
 Post Number: 4
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the hiwassee river has the john muir trail. i think that's only a day's float, though.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 5
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd say the Suwanee River Trail and the Florida Trail... but by April, there might be a lot of bugs. Here are some links anyways! The hiking part is 100 miles and follows the river almost perfectly. There are place to camp with canoes also.

River

FL Trail

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 6
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Jan. 27 2013, 6:36 pm)
My preference would be first week of April. I've been corresponding with Buffalo Adventures and given my experience (good course work but little practical) and that I'll have my 6 year old with me, he's recommending I don't try it when it's over 3'. He also said I likely couldn't run the upper portion the first week of June, which would be the next window.

The first week of April is about perfect.  Mild days and cool nights.  If you decide to try the Buffalo, let me know and I can give you a little more information.  Also, buy "The Buffalo River Canoeing Guide" by the Ozark Society.  Wonderful guide book to the river.  In fact, I'm going to see if I can find mine right now.
 Post Number: 7
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on the Buffalo River......simply beautiful.  I'm sure you've seen the pics.
Hike back on the Buffalo River Trail, the Old River Trail or do a combo.  ORT is a horse trail that stays low and crosses the river numerous times.  Stunning views of the bluffs from below.  The BRT mostly stays high on the bluffs with views down on the river.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How high would crossings of the ORT be if the Ponca gage is at 3'? I can carry my son across if needed. He's light and only 47".

The Suwanee River and FT sound like a good one for Christmas break.
 Post Number: 9
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Jan. 28 2013, 7:14 am)
How high would crossings of the ORT be if the Ponca gage is at 3'? I can carry my son across if needed. He's light and only 47".

Yeah, that's a point I hadn't thought about as we did our hike on the ORT in the fall with lower water levels (knee-high crossings).
Did a float trip in late April when the water levels were up after heavy rains....quite adventurous.
You might ask the outfitter the same question.
 Post Number: 10
ChasWill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is lots of info on this link and the connecting links.  Hope it helps.

http://www.ouachitamaps.com/Buffalo.html

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Indeed, I had already planned to use your maps, Charlie. Thanks for the service.
10 replies since Jan. 27 2013, 12:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Where can you do canoe and backpack combo?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions