2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Max Patch gets a redneck makeover< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 10:30 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the Citizens-Times:

[full article]

The destruction, which Stutzman has documented in photos, includes owners of four-wheel drive and all-terrain vehicles cutting down barbed wire fences, knocking over Forest Service posts and signs and driving up the face of the mountaintop bald to gouge out ruts on the summit by performing “doughnuts.”

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can tell you first hand how that is happening.  I was there in the end of Summer beginning of Fall with my spouse and grandson.  We were there on the day that a wedding was being held.  They were using ATVs to tote Granny and some of the elderly guests to the top of the mountain for the service.  I got they had stickers on the vehicles stating which service they were associated with. Some lodge if memory serves.  They had their trucks and ATVs labeled as such. Now I wish I'd kept up with it.   Anyhoo.. I got the feeling they did pretty much as they pleased not only that day, but any given day.  Once something like that starts it gives the rest of the local ATV community and four-wheeling community the feeling "Aw what the hell. I'll just chance it.".  They are usually failures to see the point that it is the A.T. a wilderness area and foot traffic only.  What a pisser.  It gives the ATV community a BAD name!  We like to go riding, but have standards and would never do that.  It is such a short hike! Why would anyone feel the need to ride there?  I did not like the ATVs there the day we went and it appears I was correct in dislike.

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate people sometimes. If only it wasn't a crime to off idiots on the spot. :)
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't hate people.  I dislike some of the stupid things they do.  I like a variety of outdoor activities including off roading and ATVs.  Tennessee is an awesome place for it.  So is Kentucky. Lots of reclaimed mining land.  Max Patch is a sorry place for people to do that stuff.  It gives the entire activity a bad name.  Really colors it for people. I got into a shoving match on the A.T. several years ago with mountain bikers who thought they were above the no bikes on the A.T. regulation.  I made a fool of myself fighting like that, but I felt very passionate about it.

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
 Post Number: 5
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The horses do enough damage up there. We sure don't need ATV's.
 Post Number: 6
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't even understand the appeal of doing something like that... I haven't in a while, but me and my buddies would use ATV's and Jeep to go wheelin' all the time, but never somewhere where the impact would be that substantial.  We usually found ourselves in the expansive sand dunes near Cape Cod (and not the protected ones) or we'd find other local mudpits.  

What a bummer...

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 7
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Redneck" is the correct term. You can't understand or explain ignorance & stupidity. It is what it is.
 Post Number: 8
ethanr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Magicmamma I admire your faith in humanity, but I'm with HikerDude on this one.  I hate people to sometimes!
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You hate people? Hmm.... What are YOU then? What am I?  Hate people= hate self. Hate ALL people? ;^D  Really dude?  Hate the D.A. actions.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is the common sign of Redneck Behavior, just on a more blatant level.  All I can say is thank a merciful God that the Tellico OHV trails have been closed to these gas-huffing folks who are addicted to throttles and enjoy nature but only as rolling couch potatoes.  

Would these guys ever consider going on foot up to Max Patch?  Hell no, so they become little soft bodies getting their nature fix the easy way.  If I was the forest service I'd put motion activated cameras around the area and at least catch a shot of their vehicles.

Actually, the muddy ruts in the photo reminded me of the terrible damage horseback riders do in the Mt Rogers backcountry, a real shame.  Just hike in Lewis Fork or Little Wilson areas and you'll see it easy enough.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 11
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just a lack of respect for nature and the beauty of the outdoors.  I hate to see this.
 Post Number: 12
ethanr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mmmmmm.....nope...don't hate self...or all people.  Just very little patience for people that do really stupid selfish things.
11 replies since Jan. 29 2013, 10:30 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Max Patch gets a redneck makeover
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions