2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Some of Oak Mountain SP's Red Trail, MTB trail< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 3:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was supposed to go back to Cloudland Canyon State Park in GA last week to do their Bear Creek Backcountry Trail, but I saw on the map that it was subject to closure, so called ahead. This was before the storms that just moved through this part of the country hit, and the trail was already closed, because the creek you have to cross was flooding. After hearing about the winds in N. GA flipping a bunch of vehicles over on the interstate, I decided I wasn't too broken up about not making it up there...
Instead, I went back to Oak Mountain State Park to check out their MTB trail that I'd hiked a short section of previously.

Map:
http://www.alapark.com/parks....Map.jpg
I started at the North Trailhead, and did the following sections, counterclockwise:
Cat Dog Snake
Chimneys
Rock Garden
Garrett's Gulch
Seven Bridges(haha, there are actually 8 bridges)
Lake Trail
Mr. Toads
Jekyll and Hyde
Bump Trail
Jeep Road Climb
Red Road
There are a couple of places whose distances are unaccounted for, but it comes out to 19 miles, maybe a little more.
I came back to my truck exhausted, soaking wet, splattered with mud, and with a clearer view of how I'll approach some of the trails NEXT time!

Kiosk at N. TH

Terrain near the start, and some small branches on the trail.

I also stopped probably a dozen times to move larger limbs left from the wind storms the day before.

"Cat Dog Snake" was a nice section of trail, and rolled along nicely. I did not see any cats, dogs, or snakes.
Then there's the "Chimneys" section, the origin of whose name is also a great mystery to me.

Entering the Rock Garden. I thought it was a cross and decorations, like a marker for where someone had died when I first saw it from a distance.

I don't guess you want to see pics of all 8 of the 7 bridges...this is the only one I took, anyway.

In some places, there was much water flowing along or across the trail.

The Lake Trail.

Nice bridge over a spillway adjacent to the dam that you might can see to the left in the above photo.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the dam. Interesting how water looks blue facing toward the sun, and green facing away from it.

I really liked the Lake Trail. Lots of rolling hills.
Wasn't much to Mr. Toads, but then you get into Jekyll and Hyde, which I was approaching from the wrong direction as it turns out. The other way, it's a wild roller coaster ride down a huge ridge, with lots of little drops, twists, and clusters of rocks, then up and down the lengths of progressively smaller ridges with constant ups and downs, but generally downhill. So that means that for 4.4 miles I was generally going uphill, and that it ended with that big ridge, and walking the bike half the time. I spooked a couple of whitetail does coming around the top of one of the smaller ridges, and they stood there staring for a few seconds before raising the white flags, and bouncing straight down the ridge, and up over the next one. They sure made it look easy :(

Every time you get to the top of one ridge, you can see back over the ones you've already come up, and the next one is always higher above you. Next time I'm going the other way!

Zoomed in on the lake, I think these last are from the Bump Trail, approaching the Red Road, which runs along the top of the highest ridge.

Nearing the highest point of the ridge, approaching the final 2+ mile downhill(that was much rougher than when I hiked it last year) is an intersection with the Boulder Ridge trail, which I naturally was not about to do, as it's for "Expert Riders Only!". That line where it says to check your "landing zones" made it pretty clear that this was not the trail for me right now. Plus I could barely stand for my butt to touch the saddle, and had started walking everything that wasn't flat or downhill, as I couldn't really pedal any more.

Fortunately, I didn't have to pedal much more after that, just try to keep from burning my brakes up!
The road has a bunch of drainages across it that they've made to keep it from washing out, and it was flowing 1-2ft deep at every one as I blasted through, which was kind of cool, both literally and figuratively.
Pic of one from last August:

I've had a bike since last October, and was doing "fitness" rides regularly, and riding some ATV trails around here, but had not been riding the last few weeks-and I could tell. Regardless, I had a lot of fun. This was the first real trail I've taken my bike on, and it may be going with me on hiking trips around the SE this year to places that also have MTB trails.
 Post Number: 3
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damn, I'm envious of how often you've gotten out over the last couple of months.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 9:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been trying to make the most of them, but will really be in high gear in another month or so(barring unforeseen injuries or women).
The list of stuff I want to do this year is huge. All I really need is more time and money..just can't seem to find anywhere that's giving those things away!
 Post Number: 5
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Feb. 06 2013, 9:08 am)
(barring unforeseen injuries or women).

ha!  nice one... the trick is to find ya a lady that's in to it. it's no easy task but they're out there believe it or not.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, I believe it. Especially that part about it being no easy task!
My schedule is great for getting out on my own, not so great for including other people.
I love it, though. Night shift, off on weekdays. I've gone solo toproping at Palisades Park twice, done a kayaking daytrip on the Coosa at Wetumpka, an overnight hike at Cheaha, and worked 40hrs, all in the same week-that's what I mean by "high gear" :)
 Post Number: 7
John13np Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well I cannot figure out how to post pictures, so I guess I won’t. I was going to post some pictures of the nine mile rain hike that I did about 2 weeks ago at Oak Mt State Park. I hiked the Blue trail past Peavine Falls (beautiful in high water) to Kings Chair overlook, then connected the red trail for a bit, which I crossed over the low water crossing that I see in your picture, but with MUCH higher water.

I then connected over to the yellow trail/white trail area which was great with birch trees in the rain. The trail itself was full of water by this point, which was just fine for my Scarpas (SLM3s). There were also two high water crossing that under normal water level seems like they would be fine, was about 3-4 feet deep. I was able to climb over some logs to still keep my feet dry.

My experience on this 9 mile rain hike was very surprising, I did not expect it to be that beautiful at all. The upper area (blue trail) was great with the overlooks, and even a year round pond on top, to the lower area (yellow/white trails) where there was so much water and great birch trees all over, made me very happy that I decided to take the hike. I almost passed up on it when I saw the forecast for 100% rain and a flash flood watch. It is always worth venturing out into the rain, as long as you have the right gear.

--------------
"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list"

..."May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Ed Abbey

6 replies since Feb. 05 2013, 3:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Some of Oak Mountain SP's Red Trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions