2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: vandalism at the sinks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 5:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This came down a bit ago...

Date: February 6,2013

Park Offers Reward for Information on Vandalism

On January 31st,Great Smoky Mountains National Park visitors reported the defacement of natural stone features and masonry stone walls at the Sinks. The Sinks is a popular roadside waterfall located on Little River Road between Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area and the Townsend Wye. Vandals spray painted pictures and profanity along the walkways,stone walls,and natural rock throughout the area.

“This was not a minor act of tagging by someone with a can of spray paint,” said Chief Ranger Clay Jordan. “The amount of damage maliciously caused to this beautiful setting is disheartening.” As such,Jordan announced that the Park is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individuals responsible for this vandalism. Rangers report that the graffiti includes references to “Wolfgang” and “Lumberjack”.

In 2010,the Park renovated the Sinks parking area including the construction of new stone masonry retaining walls,cut-stone walkways,and a new overlook area with a masonry wall and handrail so that all visitors,including the disabled,are able to safely view the waterfall and rapids. The Sinks is a popular destination for visitors throughout the year who stop to view the 15-foot cascade. Park employees spent several hours removing the offensive language and images using a variety of techniques to remove the paint without causing further resource damage.

It is unlawful to disturb or deface natural and historic resources within the Park. Perpetrators may be sentenced up to 6 months in jail and or fined up to $5,000. Anyone with information as to the possible identity of the vandals is encouraged to call the tip hotline at 865-436-1580.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very sad.  It's hard to understand why someone feels the need to do such a thing.
 Post Number: 3
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 8:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Feb. 06 2013, 5:19 pm)
roadside waterfall

Unfortunately, here lies the problem.

I see this a lot in the Smokies. Once you get past where the roadways end. The profanity disappears.
 Post Number: 4
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mossy @ Feb. 07 2013, 8:18 am)

(kevinumberger @ Feb. 06 2013, 5:19 pm)
roadside waterfall

Unfortunately, here lies the problem.

I see this a lot in the Smokies. Once you get past where the roadways end. The profanity disappears.

Yep.

Several years ago, my wife and I decided to walk part of the cades cove loop, using some trails and footpaths just off the road.  When we got to the Oliver cabin, I was shocked to see the pocket knife carvings.  Then we had to walk the road for a short section, and when we saw all the trash that had been tossed from vehicles, it made more sense.
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hiker01 @ Feb. 06 2013, 9:09 pm)
Very sad.  It's hard to understand why someone feels the need to do such a thing.

There was a girl in Portland OR several years ago who was caught "tagging" cars, buses, public buildings, etc. Her defense in court was her 1st Amendment right "to express herself" and claimed censorship and she showed no remorse. She as much as said she'd do it again but be more careful. She lost but only got community service time to clean it all up.

That's the attitude of most who do these things. Maybe a better punishment would be to deface the violator's property so they might get a better understanding.

OTOH, how does anyone really know that accepted pictographs and petroglyphs are anything except vandalism by the youth of prehistory? The elders of the time may well have chastised those who did it.

This is not a defense by any means and it shouldn't haven done now or then.
---------------------------------------------
A joke as an example of different interpretations:
At an archeological convention, a speaker presented symbols of a shovel, a donkey and a chicken, saying "The shovel shows agriculture, the donkey and chicken shows animal domestication.". One member stood up and said "BS! It's ancient smut! It actually says 'Dig the ass on that chick!'".

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Feb. 07 2013, 7:53 am)
A joke as an example of different interpretations:
At an archeological convention, a speaker presented symbols of a shovel, a donkey and a chicken, saying "The shovel shows agriculture, the donkey and chicken shows animal domestication.". One member stood up and said "BS! It's ancient smut! It actually says 'Dig the ass on that chick!'".

Now that right there is funny.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

i just got back from the sinks and turning a story on the damage/cleanup/reward......

it airs at 6 and will be on website (wbir.com) later tonight.......
6 replies since Feb. 06 2013, 5:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply vandalism at the sinks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions