2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Underground and above ground in TN, Cumberland Plateau< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 6:53 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kenny and I went away for the weekend exploring out in the Cumberland Plateau. We saw and did things that were so amazing it felt like a dream.  Four caves. Six waterfalls.

Amazing stuff. Found and visited the first underground waterfall ever for us. I've see Silver Falls in Tuckaleechee Caverns, but that doesn't count as it is a guided tourist cave.

Here is a short video of Dry Creek Falls.

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice video. You make me jelous sometimes. Your pics and vids are such cool places and so often I am satisfied with the old railroad grade by the crick in the woods across the street or another system of trails out the road.
I am so glad you had a fun time and chose to share. I liked the first falls with the shale and couldn't help but wonder if the big rocks in the forground were once on the top and fell down as the shale fell apart. The rock in the second one that has fallen now has the water crashing down on it to weather it in whatever shape it chooses. God and nature give us such changing beauty. Thanks again for sharing.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Oldnolder.  I am fortunate to have my health and an unending supply of wander thirst.   I am blessed to have a partner who loves it as well and loves me enough to go even when he's not that interested by the surroundings.  We live in a beautiful state with lots ofcool stuff to see.   I agree the rocks in the video of the first falls appear to have fractured and fallen.  You can see a big fault  line in the cliff.  Good water flow for this to be a headwaters!  For a good 1/4 mile or more prior to this falls the terrain was almost completely flat. I had some major misgivings as to our finding this falls.  As you said in your post....... about being satisfied with the railroad track and the creek outback.  I've found that I bloom where I am planted.  On a recent visit back to Va. to our farm......... I wandered all over the farm in the woods. Out the lane, out to the hard road... down to the folks a couple miles from me and up in their woods where I had permission to go any time.  I do this because it is my nature. Its where I here the Lord's voice. And as wicked an old sinner as I am...... I probably need to listen to that more than most.   Beautiful sentiments. Thank you for sharing and for the kindness reflected in those sentiments. It means a lot to me.

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This week Mrs. big_load is wandering from one of TN to the other, but she won't get a chance to see anything so wonderful.
 Post Number: 5
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2013, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool video, MM! I was waiting to get home to see it. Couldn't see it at work. So pretty.

Did I see Bigfoot at the top of the falls?

lol

Good stuff, MM.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 8:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Bigload! Good to hear from you man! Well I hate it that Mrs Bigload won't get to tour the cool stuff. I know she'd like it better than towns and work related things.   safe travels and smooth trip wishes for her though!

eyebp, Thanks.  I LOVE it that you saw "Bigfoot" up there. That was the first thing that came to mind when I was videotaping. My loveable goofball hubby. He does have big feet. Long arms too.  He's my silverback.  

Big ole galoot went on up ahead to see if the upper falls were there. He cannot resist throwing rocks and sticks and carrying on to photo/video bomb me.  IF he ever goes to doing those bigfoot calls in the wild ......... LMBO!

--------------
 Post Number: 7
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(magicmomma @ Feb. 12 2013, 8:20 am)
Hey Bigload! Good to hear from you man! Well I hate it that Mrs Bigload won't get to tour the cool stuff. I know she'd like it better than towns and work related things.   safe travels and smooth trip wishes for her though!

eyebp, Thanks.  I LOVE it that you saw "Bigfoot" up there. That was the first thing that came to mind when I was videotaping. My loveable goofball hubby. He does have big feet. Long arms too.  He's my silverback.  

Big ole galoot went on up ahead to see if the upper falls were there. He cannot resist throwing rocks and sticks and carrying on to photo/video bomb me.  IF he ever goes to doing those bigfoot calls in the wild ......... LMBO!

:D  That is so great.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks man.  By the way.. I just realized I mentioned we found an underground waterfall blah blah blah....... but I didn't say what!  We found the UNDERGROUND portion of Lost Creek Falls! Where it goes subterranean!  That well known 80 ft falls goes into the ground and flows into a cave. We knew this, but had no clue we'd ever be fortunate enough to SEE it underground. Here is the video of it, but it is very poor quality owing to the darkness. At least you can glimpse it and the roar of it in the cave is impressive.  We are just learning about caving and we will have to improve our lighting equipment.  

lost creek cave falls

--------------
 Post Number: 9
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

very nice. this one's over in Scott's Gulf, right?  as many weekends as i've spent over there i still have a bunch to see... gotta love the cumberland.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 10
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ha!  i just assumed you were keepin a secret  :p

is it hard to get down there?

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ashe, it is not secret.  It was hard to get to.... yes.  I have misgivings about directions posted on here for it.  Just because it is under ground in a cave.  AND it involved some risk taking by us that turned out ok, but could have turned out bad.  Not in Scotts Gulf. Lost Creek is off to itself.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great video. Always amazes me how densely packed some of the scenery in the Cumberland Plateau can be. It's especially a treat when you find the scenery tucked away in an unlikely place. I've had similar experiences with hiking through flat or not-too-exciting terrain and then seemingly out of nowhere there's an arch or waterfall.

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Mark. Yes! I know what you mean. Arches,caves and other interesting rock forms are especially nice to visit during times when the waterfalls are not flowing and the wildflowers are not there to entertain me. :-)   Thought of you while out this weekend and hoped you were enjoying some time outdoors!

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a great time. I've got gear for climbing(toproping, anyway), and a couple of static lines for rappels that I'd like to give some use cascading, too. It's a pain to haul gear for one-time use, but opens some things up, since getting down to something is often the most dangerous part.
I'd love to see some of those places the creeks go underground!
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 8:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Owen, I have done the roped climbed to waterfalls thing. It has ended up always being worth it. What has not gone well was the times we failed to take rope.  There was this woman and  her man who climbed to the base of a waterfall one time only to get home and find out the guidebook says "There is no route to the base".  

Who does a thing like that?

The Plateau has tons of this odd plumbing.  Makes hunting waterfalls really challenging since you may be looking for one that emerges totally without the benefit of a creek on the map! This was part of our frustration in looking for Dry Creek Falls.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great couple of waterfalls! That would be really cool to see the ones in the caves for sure. Exploring like this keeps ya young at heart! :)
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(magicmomma @ Feb. 13 2013, 7:54 am)
Owen, I have done the roped climbed to waterfalls thing. It has ended up always being worth it. What has not gone well was the times we failed to take rope.  There was this woman and  her man who climbed to the base of a waterfall one time only to get home and find out the guidebook says "There is no route to the base".  

Who does a thing like that?

I don't know. Would "this woman and her man" be anyone we might have heard of around here?

How hard is this underground fall to find? This is part of the area taken in by Fall Creek Falls State Park? I'll hopefully either be finishing off Savage Gulf, or going to Virgin Falls plus a quick daytrip to Rock Island next week, but will doubtless make several more trips to that area throughout the year.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Owen, I don't know anyone who would do anything so stupid. I mean really?

Underground fall ... not posting directions to it.  I've done worse, but honestly we found it by dumb luck.  I don't know for sure that I could direct someone to it again.   Other than the 1st step and that is about it. Not being facetious. Being completely honest.  

That area is not part of Fall Creek Falls.  it is off to itself.  Not part of anything official.  

Rock Island......... Oy.  That's another story. Don't let the rangers there give you any wooden nickels or talk you into taking any $1 per person pontoon boat rides. Shooooes!

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm too pressed for time on these short out of state trips to do much exploring, anyway. Pretty much hiking the whole time I'm not driving or sleeping, and will be sticking to routes that can be planned out for the time being.
Rock Island-just looking at the waterfalls, hiking those few short trails they have, and leaving! The pics I found online were impossible to ignore.
18 replies since Feb. 11 2013, 6:53 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Underground and above ground in TN
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions