2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: NC Waterfalls, Over 250 falls to go see!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 10:25 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of my favorite things about hiking or backpacking is checking out new waterfalls. I've visited many especially in Western NC and I never get tired of seeing them. They are all different with different personalities. For anyone who's interested here is a good interactive online map for this area.

NC Waterfall Map (Interactive)

I just thought I'd share a few of the ones I've photographed.

Whitewater Falls

Virginia Hawkins Falls

Indian Creek Falls

Glen Falls

Cranberry Falls

Courthouse Falls

Cathedral Falls

Unnamed minor falls I

Unnamed minor falls II

So, so, so many more waterfalls to check out!!!!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful!  I have visited several of those.  Have not been to Va. Hawkins Falls. Doubtful I've been to the cascades you posted. Went looking for Cranberry Falls unsuccessfully.  If that is the one over near Cherokee?  Had the way points, but ended up in a residential area and felt uncomfortable about just traipsing through yards and houses to visit.  Did not see anyone out stirring to ask that day.  Thanks for sharing your photography! You did good! :-D

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(magicmomma @ Feb. 12 2013, 11:26 am)
Beautiful!....Went looking for Cranberry Falls unsuccessfully.  If that is the one over near Cherokee?

Thanks!

Opps...that is "Crabtree Falls" which is on the Blue Ridge Parkway by Little Switzerland.
 Post Number: 4
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Virginia Hawkins falls is actually in South Carolina just east of Lake Jocassee on Laural Fork Creek.  The Foothills Trail which runs from Oconee State Park, SC to Table Rock State Park, SC runs right past it.  The trail does cross into NC for several miles near Whitewater Falls though.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh ok! Having not found Cranberry Falls I was not sure. I have been to Crabtree Falls though.   It was not Autumn. It was early Summer. Pretty place! I found out there are more waterfalls not listed in that area. However they are hard to locate and access. :-(

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
 Post Number: 6
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are several waterfalls near Whitewater Falls that are easy to access.  Issaqueena Falls is at Stumphouse Tunnel, King Creek Falls and Spoon Auger Falls are very short hikes from Burrells Ford on the Chattooga River and of course Whitewater Falls (both upper and lower).  Drive from Issaqueena (southern most of the ones listed) to Whitewater (northern most) in half an hour and none are more than a mile walk from where you would park your car.  The hike to observe Lower Whitewater Falls is a bit longer, but well worth the hike.

--------------

Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great suggestions! I have visited all those. When you went to Isaqueena Falls did you get BEHIND the waterfall on the ledge? Wow! It was cool.   Remember....... BEHIND the waterfall no one can hear you scream! :-)

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, I've not been behind the falls.  I have made it to the end of Stumphouse Tunnel though!

--------------

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The first time behind Isaqueena Falls was more fun. 2nd time was not as big a deal  having done it before.  Lots of gorgeous waterfalls in Upstate SC!

--------------
 Post Number: 10
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome pictures, and thanks for sharing that map link. Hope I get to visit some of those this spring/summer.

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 11
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 12 2013, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics! Have to check out that map when I replace my fried computer.
I've got a book "Great Waterfalls of North Carolina-A Guide for Hikers, Photographers, and Waterfall Enthusiasts" by a Neil Regan that has descriptions, pics, and area maps for 65 falls.
NC is quite a drive from here, though. Wish I'd explored more of the state when stationed at Ft. Bragg, but I'm a couple of decades past that opportunity!
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are lots of waterfalls in N. GA as well. Over 200 here. I suspect pretty much any state with the Appalachians attached to them is gonna have tons of waterfalls. But NC & GA have gobs of them. Makes for a good hiking destination in many cases.

On some day hikes I'll pick out up to 6 waterfalls to visit in a single day because many of the hikes might only be 1 or 2 miles or even 1/4 mile. That way you get a full day of hiking & exploring and you visit tons of different spots all in the same close proximity to each.

More NC waterfalls....

Kalakaleskies Falls

Cullasaja Falls

Triple Falls

Hooker Falls

Lower Falls @ Graveyard Fields...in the fog

Post Number: 13
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2013, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pics!

I've been to some of those, and many others in NC.

One of these years I hope to make it further down the Horsepasture to Windy falls, even though I've heard it's very difficult to photograph. Last time I visted the area Drift Falls was on private property (you could still see it though); Turtleback is very nice, Rainbow is awesome, and I've made it down to Stairway, but Windy is still on my to-do list.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
12 replies since Feb. 12 2013, 10:25 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply NC Waterfalls
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions