2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tent Advice, Tent Advice< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Jester04 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 4:37 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for a new tent as was looking at the following options

Sierra Designs Zia 2 Tent
Kelty Gunnison Pro 2 Tent
Mountain Hardwear Drifter 2

And possibly the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2  even though it is roughly twice the cost.

I definitely want two doors and ability to sit up in the tent and not be cramped like my current tent which is a Coleman Avior x2.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i've never used any of the tents you have listed but rather have used a MSR hubba hubba for the last three years, and just bought a Big Agnes fly creek UL 2.......

i really like the Hubba Hubba as it has two side doors.......and has a ton of headroom in it.......i can sit up in it and still have a ton of headroom left.....

Plus the Hubba hubba had enough room for two people in it (unlike most 2 person tents where it's more like 2 extremely friendly people tenting together)....

Along with i've had no issues with leaks or anything like that.......

I recently switched to the Big Agnes (as in, just have used it once so far) but it's way different than the hubba.......i bought it just to cut a couple of pound of (saving weight for larger filets).......

for the big agnes----less head room......a little more flimsy.........one front door.........and the two person is more like one and a half......

with that all being said, as it really didnt address the tents you had listed------i've bought, along with most of my outdoor gear, at a discount.....

if one searches long and hard, one can save a ton of money on gear...........

for instance----for the hubba hubba, brand new, i paid 220 shipped with the footprint and a subscription to outside magazine thrown in.....

the big agnes i bought from ebay with it being slightly used but over a hundred bucks off MSRP....

google and ebay and steep and cheap are good places to look.....

of course, someone will chime in and say that i should support my local independent outdoor shop, but quite frankly, i cant afford to pay retail if i can find same item for way less that MSRP.......
 Post Number: 3
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the Zia has vertical sidewalls which works wonders for headroom

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you used the Zia?
 Post Number: 5
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Along the lines of the Hubba Hubba, you might consider the REI Quarter Dome T2. Lots of headroom and truly a 2 person tent, under 4 pounds. Year before last Three of us sat out a two-hour hailstorm in the Rockies and were actually comfortable.

It's much larger than the earlier version of the Quarter Dome.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nah, i've never used any of those. though, the Sierra Design Omega was my first backpacking tent... good tent. it did have a few quality snags but they fixed them for free each time and were surprisingly quick about it. tent pole broke twice and one of the hooks that attach the body to the poles pulled out at the seam... but that was over 9-10 years of at least monthly use, if it's any consolation.

i upgraded to a Quarter Dome, like Bob. ...love the Quarter Dome. it's a vertical wall design like the Zia. actually, i think it's the same design as REI's Half Dome. but, it's very roomy. even without the "plus" you can easily fit four people in there playing cards on a rainy evening. and you gotta love having two doors, two vestibules. my only complaint with the QD? the doors are smaller than i'd prefer, and i'm no fatty.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 7
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it your intent to use it as a solo tent or are you going to normally sleep two people in it?  If you are going to use it as a one man I would recommend you take a look at the Tarptent Double Rainbow.  While the top of the tent is a little more narrow than what you've got listed I've never had a problem sitting up in it.  At 6'1" and 230# I've found it to be plenty roomy for one person and even did a week long trip in the Tetons with two people in it with no problems.  The major selling point for the Double Rainbow as far as I'm concerned though is the weight.  Coming in at 2.5lbs with a true rectangular floor (30.5 sq ft) and the ability to use the vestibules as awnings to give a wide open view from inside the tent sold me.  I've had my Double Rainbow just over a year and have had it on 4 or five trips and absolutely love it.  Awesome tent for one man, good tent for two people.  Just a suggestion.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will be using this for 2 people. Mostly my wife and myself but also for a buddy and myself. Right now the Coleman Avior X2 is just two cramped even for my Wife and I.
 Post Number: 9
ChasWill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might consider the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL3.  I own lots of excellent tents and this is my favorite by a long shot.  I have used it for all my 2 man trips since 2006.  Single door front entry, but it is huge and only 5 lb.  You can fit 3 if need be but it is very tight.  For 2?  Pure luxury and lighter than most 2 person tents. Sil is super light but it has kept us dry in some horrendous rains and light snow.  If you need a winter tent, this is not for you.

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Mountain Smith Morrison 2 and absolutely love it.  Very nice sized 2 man tent with 2 doors, 2 vestibules, loft if you want to use it, 5 lbs., and under $150 on Amazon.  It has been bullet proof from the start.
Nothing original as far as the design goes, but maybe that is for the better.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 11
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ever considered a hammock instead? In a good backpacking hammock like a Warbonnet Blackbird you can lay reasonably flat and sleep on your side if you like, though you should probably pass if you're a stomach sleeper.

Over the years I've occasionally regretted a gear purchase, but my biggest regret is taking so long to try a hammock. I get a much more comfortable & restful sleep, and can pitch it anywhere suitable trees can be found. Pitch the tarp first, which provides a shelter for unpacking everything else. No more dealing with the groundsheet or tent underside that can be wet, muddy, full of grit, or punctured. You're off the ground and also away from a variety of creepy crawlies.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yup... hammock hangin is where it's at. i hang on all of my trips now if the little lady doesn't come along.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've thought about it but I tend to be a stomach sleeper so I've never tried.
 Post Number: 14
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're open to considering a tarptent, the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo is a palace for 2 people, and under 3 lbs. Vertical sidewalls and 2 side doors with spacious vestibules. Erects with trekking poles, not free-standing.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 15
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I too live in the Smokies, and highly recommend something with a vent or two.
I use the Big Agnes Copper Spur, and it's fantastic, despite being expensive. Plenty of room, and vents.
A cheaper option is the REI Quarter dome. It's a good tent as well, and much cheaper.
Alternatively, although I haven't owned one, the Jack Rabbit From BA looks pretty solid. I've owned a lot of tents, and BA has always impressed me with their quality.
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/jackrabbitsl2
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think I'm going to with the copper spur since I can't find the quarter dome. I've found it on sale for $318. Do you use the footprint? And do you need it? It's pricey at $60
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I personally do use a foot print, but I know several who do not and haven't had any problems. The tent is designed to be used without it, so you shouldn't have any issues if you're picky about where you put it, and you make sure your camp site is clear. These tents are tougher than they look.
Alternatively, you could lay down a trash bag, painters plastic, tarp, or sheet of tyvek if you're worried about durability yet would like to avoid the costs.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another idea, fabric shops and craft stores often sell ripstop nylon by the yard. It may not be waterproofed, but it would keep your tent a bit safer.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was able to get the Tent and Fly from Backcountry Edge for $330 and some change shipped. I'm excited as this is bigger and lighter than my current setup. Really looking forward to having two doors. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just talked to REI and the Quarter Dome T2 has been discontinued and they do not have anymore in any of their stores. It was has been replaced with the Quarter Dome T2 Plus, which weights a considerable amount more. Just thought I'd let everyone know. Thanks for all the help on picking out a new tent. It is much appreciated.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's not entirely true.
The old quarter dome is discontinued.
There is a new model on the way. It's got some red on it I think.
Not sure what all is different other than a modified door.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I talked to REI, she said she searched around and could not find one in stock and said it had been discontinued.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They should show up eventually.
I can't find where I saw it, but it looked similar to this,
http://www.rei.com/product/845478/rei-half-dome-2-tent
Red with more mesh. Unless it's no longer coming to market...
I don't see them ditching one of their best selling tents though.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 9:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So it sounds like you really like your copper spur. Do you usually camp with two people? How is it in the rain? Have you ever used just the rain fly and footprint?
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do usually use it for two people (me and my girl). We have plenty of room, especially above us, and the vestibule is pretty massive actually, so all my gear fits outside.
Rain doesn't touch it. The drops roll right off, and condensation isn't an issue thanks to the silicone/polyurethane coating.
I have an in dept review here,
Copper Spur 2 review
I always camp with the tent body, however, in the rain I have taken down the tent while the rain fly and footprint were still up to minimize getting rained on. Worked very well, and I stayed dry :)
24 replies since Feb. 21 2013, 4:37 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tent Advice
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions