2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A few pics from Savage Gulf, and one from Oak Mountain< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 6:02 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My computer is dead, but I uploaded a few pics while visiting my parents this evening.
From last week, Peavine Falls, Oak Mountain State Park, where I've been mountain biking:

These are from this week at Savage Gulf. I hiked from the Savage Day Loop to North Rim to Connector to Collins Gulf to Collins Rim to the South Rim, and back out the Savage Day Loop. Wonderful hike!
Savage Falls:

This is a sink where the creek disappears. It's off the connector trail, after the descent from the North Rim.

Schwoon Spring:

Fall Creek sink:

"Sink Falls":

Horsepound Falls:

Suter Falls

A closer view:

Will try to upload some videos soon...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
John13np Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing. I just hiked Oak Mt myself a couple of weeks ago during a heavy rain. Did you happen to make it over to the white trail/yellow trail connection areas? Very pretty area.

--------------
"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list"

..."May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Ed Abbey

Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been all over there in the past, but have only been back to hike the blue trail, and now for biking on the red trail. I'm more prone to making the extra drive to Cheaha for local hiking these days.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The blue trail is the one I hiked to get the yellow trail area, I connected from the red trail where the low water crossing was (in not so low water).

I am heading back up that way for work next week, I think Im going to explore DeSoto Falls this time. Would you have any other recommendations while I am in the general area? It would be much appreciated as this will only be my second time to the area.

--------------

..."May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Ed Abbey

Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DeSoto Falls is definitely worth seeing, but there's nothing to do there except look at the falls, and leave. DeSoto State Park has several short trails to waterfalls, and you can connect to the DeSoto Scout Trail-in particular, the next couple of miles below the park are beautiful.
Little River Canyon is just moments away, too. If you like doing a lot of scrambling, you can take the Martha Falls trail down into the canyon, then make your way upriver(all the way to the falls if you like).
I bounce around a lot, and am not intimately familiar with the area, so you might do well to start a thread about it, as you may get more(better!) ideas from someone who is.
 Post Number: 6
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nice! tell me you didn't do that 25-mile circuit in one day.

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, Owen! I will keep those areas in mind! I was looking at DeSoto State Park and that was the area I was planning on visiting, but had no idea that Little River Canyon was so close! Since I am traveling to the area for work I have not done too much research because I may not even get the chance to visit these areas, it all depends on weather. Lets hope for rain so I can explore a bit!

--------------

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Feb. 22 2013, 2:01 pm)
nice! tell me you didn't do that 25-mile circuit in one day.

Negative! It came out to between 29 and 30 by the posted distances plus a little rambling. I drove up there after work Tuesday, and started about 2 that afternoon to camp at Hobb's cabin. Connector plus Collins Gulf and Rim to the Stage Road camp on Wednesday, then 2hr 31min to finish up with the South Rim and the bottom part of the day loop again.
I slept 11+ hours both nights, too :)
Oh, I stayed in the cabin Tuesday night! I hadn't paid attention to Hobb's cabin beyond the fact it was a conveniently located camp, and thought it would be the ruin of some 1800s cabin. That was a nice surprise!

Crap...left my little keychain thermometer hanging on a nail by the door, too. Perfect weather for hiking, btw. Lows around 22-24, high 42 on Wednesday, and windy.
 Post Number: 9
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

that route was my second ever BP trip. we had a water scare with the Hobbs Cabin spring being dry... and then we weren't expecting most of the river beds in the Gulf to be dry... Schwoon Spring water was the best water i'd ever tasted after that ordeal.

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2013, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You were off to a good start if that was your second trip! I'm loving all these Cumberland Plateau places, and will be back for more of BSF soon. Can't wait! :)
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 2:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Forgot this one. Only decent pic I got of a bat from the cave Schwoon Springs flows out of:
10 replies since Feb. 22 2013, 6:02 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A few pics from Savage Gulf
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions