2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Anniversary Trip Suggestions, Somewhere NC/SC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 1:16 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I will be celebrating our 5th year anniversary with a nice trip to either North Carolina or South Carolina.  We're looking for somewhere either beachy or lake wise.  Probably preferably with modern amenities at least at reach, but we're equally happy on a nice lake with a good campsite.

We'll be bringing our kayak as well, and more than likely our dogs.

Thanks in advance.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hunting Island State Park?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got no knowledge of that area, but congratulations on your anniversary! :)
 Post Number: 4
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What time of year?  As TDale mentioned, Hunting Island is a nice choice.  NC also has the Outer Banks and both states have nice lakes in the upstate.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 5
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When we drove through NC chasing waterfalls and playing on Cherohala Skyway, we passed Santeetlah Lake, and the area looked amazing. I did a quick google search and there looks like there is a Marina and a few options of places to stay. You could also stay in or around Fontana Dam, there is a lot to do in the area. We were there in the fall with the leaves changing and we were one of 3 people that stayed at Fontana Village over halloween.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 6
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out both the NC and SC state parks websites and look for cabins.  I know Devil's Fork State Park on Lake Jocassee has pretty nice cabins.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 7
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 8:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lake Lure
 Post Number: 8
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the USFS has two rustic cabins on Lake Santeelah (Cheoah Pt) that rent for dirt cheap. no running water except for a spigot outside and one electric outlet outside. there's also Swan Cabin nearby which is historic.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some of the ones you guys have mentioned are on our radar.  Thanks.

Thanks on the congrats, she makes it easy.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
 Post Number: 10
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For an anniversary trip, may I suggest Julian Price Park campground...
Its right on a small(ish) lake where no motorized boats are allowed.
Many of the campsites have a private canoe/kayak launch, hidden amongst the laurel thickets, where you can tie up boats, bathe, get freaky, etc...

You can also get cleaned up and be in downtown Blowing Rock for a nice dinner or shopping in 10-15 minutes.

There is a nice long hike around the lake, and lots of great day or overnight hikes within close proximity.

Dogs are a bit of an issue.  They are allowed, but we usually don't bring them, as there is a fairly strict leash/tether policy within the campground.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks UL.  It seems that the leash laws down that way are def. way more strict than up here.  Or at least it reads that way.

I'm thinking of trying to turn this into more of a road trip as opposed to a destination to destination trip.  I was thinking that instead of coming back the way we went down, we could make a loop out of it and head through Springer Mountain and up through the Smokies and VA, etc.

Is there any MUST see natural things?

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are many beautiful "natural things" along that route; naming a list of "must see" is a large and very subjective task. If you plan to drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway, a guidebook like the one linked below would be a good place to start:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w....2711055

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 13
wornoutboots Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hot Springs is a Cool Little town, with the beautiful French Broad river running right through town & the Appalachian Trail walks right down main street. There are numerous B&B's. You could grab a shuttle to hike or paddle with Bluff Mountain outfitters & they take you as many miles as you want up the AT or the river & you can hike or paddle back to town. They have a riverside CG. A refurbished Saloon/Tavern in town that also has rooms, great food & Craft beers & live music. Not to mention the natural Hot tubs. http://www.hotspringsnc.org/

http://www.bluffmountain.com/

--------------
Take time to watch the trees dance with the wind......then join in
12 replies since Feb. 25 2013, 1:16 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Anniversary Trip Suggestions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions