2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Youth fishing in GSMNP, License needed?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
topshot Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 1:05 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the GSMNP website:
You must possess a valid fishing license or permit from either Tennessee or North Carolina. Either state license is valid throughout the park and no trout stamp is required. (emphasis mine)
Tennessee License Requirements: Residents and nonresidents age 13 and older must have a valid license....
North Carolina License Requirements: Residents and nonresidents age 16 and older need a license....

The way I read the first quote combined with the second, anyone under 16 does not need a license since they could fall under NC rules even if they were fishing the TN side of the park. Yet then they say
Persons under 16 in North Carolina and under 13 in Tennessee are entitled to the adult daily bag and possession limits and are subject to all other regulations.

Our troop will be on the TN side so is it really 13 or is <16 OK, too? Thank you!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

where are you guys from?

NC or TN?

I'd say whatever state yer from would determine it.....

As in, i've a resident of TN so i would get a TN license and TN regulations would apply....

no need, if i'm fishing in the park, to get a visitor NC license, but if i did, then i would think NC regulations would apply......

or, if yer not from TN or NC and get a visitor license, the regulations would apply for whatever state you got the visitor license from.......

that's my thought..........

when in doubt, call the BC office.....
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're from IN. What's not clear is if any of our youth will even need a license. I'll try to contact the BC office.
 Post Number: 4
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i'd say that you would fit under the TN regulations of things seeing as y'all will be on the TN side....

being that kids under 13 wouldnt need a license......

now, they may make an adult get a license to supervise the kids though....

not sure about that..........
 Post Number: 5
gjbu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can use either a NC or Tenn license on either side of park.  I live in SC and always use NC license on either side.  Not sure if an adult has to have a license.  Call Little River Outfitters in Townsend Tenn and they can probably answer any questions.  Really nice folks there.
 Post Number: 6
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you don't mind, share what the BC office tells you. My guess would be they would take whatever is most beneficial to you (so under 16 wouldn't need a license).
 Post Number: 7
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After Fri., it probably won't matter  ;)
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The person I spoke with said non-residents under 16 are good to go and a supervising adult does not need a license.

He also had no idea how March 1 would affect him or the park. He said it wasn't a topic of discussion - they're just prepping for the spring break crowd.
7 replies since Feb. 26 2013, 1:05 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Youth fishing in GSMNP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions