2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fall Creek Falls SP, Waterfalls...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:22 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Limited my mileage this week due to knee problems.
Wednesday morning, I drove to Fall Creek Falls State Park.
I stopped at George Hole to look at the water, then took a short walk in the woods on the other side after crossing a small suspension bridge.
Then viewed the Cane Creek Cascades, and followed Rock House Creek to the Cable Trail to the bottom of the gorge to view Cane Creek Falls, along with a second fall that is fed by Rock House Creek.
From there I did a loop trail that took me to Fall Creek Falls after crossing the two creeks that feed it, with a side trip to Rocky Point Overlook, and Cane Creek Overlook.
Wednesday night, I camped at one of the walk-in primitive camping sites. Thursday morning started with a drive to Millikan's Overlook, and the Piney Creek Falls Overlook. Accessing Piney Creek Falls is an off-trail adventure I look forward to doing later-a beautiful fall, but surrounded by very rugged and steep terrain. But for the knee, that probably would have filled the rest of the day. As it was I continued to Rock Island State Park, which I will probably make a separate thread about.

Roadside fall on Hwy 110

At and around George Hole

Cane Creek Cascades
From the top:

Looking across the cascades:

From the bottom:

Below the cascades:
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From Rock House Creek

from the Cable Trail

I was wishing for my Microspikes.

The ironic thing about the Cable Trail is that the one place you absolutely must have the cable in these conditions is a drop off, and you'd have to be 12 feet tall to reach the cable!
I had to abandon the cable, and climb down tree roots.

I felt goofy using the cable, but have to admit it was a lot of fun.

And the reward is a great view of Cane Creek Falls!

And that's not all. Rock House Creek makes a separate fall that is gorgeous(to me, anyway).
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok..one with less me, and more gorgeous.

These 2 creeks feed Fall Creek Falls

Fall Creek Falls

Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 3:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rocky Point Overlook.
Here I got a little off the chain, and climbed down the rocks with snow over a layer of ice on them.

It's tough being a pine cone around here :(

On the way back, I saw a trail of use going up the opposite side of the rock formation I'd climbed down, and discovered a much safer and easier way back up.
The way I went down:

The way I could have gone, if I'd only looked around a little more first!

My way was more memorable...

The loop yields another view of Cane Creek Falls:

Thursday morning, I visited Millikan's Overlook

..and then the Piney Creek Falls Overlook

Post Number: 5
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pics, thanks for sharing!

I plan on being in middle Tennessee in about a week and a half, and that snow on the ground bodes well for good waterfalls. Not sure I'll have time for Fall Creek Falls (been there a couple times) but I plan to visit Laurel-Snow for the first time and Virgin Falls for the 2nd, bringing a friend who hasn't been before.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Next weekend is "Waterfalls Weekend" at Fall Creek Falls, and for some people it's spring break. Yuck!
 Post Number: 7
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice TR -  I love Fall Creek Falls and look forward to a return trip some day.  thanks for posting!

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 8
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome! I like your style! This series of photos is excellent! The snow really makes it.  Sorry bout the knee problems. I hope that mends completely and quickly.  You were so right about the cable trail.  That one span is ridiculous!  Worth the trip to the base though.  About 9 years ago a group of friends and I climbed off Rocky Point down to the base of Fall Creek Falls and forded the creek in bare feet.. then went up the trail to the overlook.  It was really cold and windy.  Once we got to the main overlook and glanced back at where we'd come from I nearly had a stroke.  It was an incredibly stupid thing to have done, but too late at that point to do anything but be glad we were alive to tell the tale and no repeats.  Oy.   Hoping to get to visit the additions to FCF either in 2 wks or this Spring.  We have visited the Hemlock Falls addition, Camps Gulf, Cueva Guapa del Norte and Wheeler Farm/ Wheeler Falls, but there is yet more! Check this out CG Anderson is one of a few stout souls who have ventured to the base of Piney Falls. It requires rope. Lots of rope and some vertical rope skills.

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got rope! Well, 200ft dynamic and 150ft static, anyway. The knee is nothing new, it was just bothering me more than usual. I abused it some more on Thursday and Friday on the Polly Branch side(another wonderful place!) of Scott Gulf after making a quick daytrip to Rock Island.
There's a Wheeler Falls?!? I saw that Wheeler Farm trail sign on the way out, but figured it just went to an old farm site.

Oh, and I loved that there was snow on the ground. Wasn't sure if there would be. It was colder than the forecast said, too, and was 21 when I got up Thursday morning. Made for great hiking weather!

Think that's actually Hwy 111 on the roadside waterfall, but it won't let me edit...
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To access the other portions of the Fall Creek Falls additions.. go down Hwy 285. Heading West.  Where you saw the Wheeler Farm addition.. You have to park the car up top at the pull off.  walk the road and at the bottom bear to your right.  It is a 120 ft drop!  Beautiful esp. when there  has been plenty of rain.  

There are the old buildings or rather what is left of them.

Then the part we need to go back to see is Medley Arch and the two caves.
And some place there called Crusher Hole.

It is supposed to be the resurgence of Cane Creek.
I think I know where it is based on the map.

The other addition is on the right further down Hwy 285.
There is a trail and a sign and a place to park.  Camps Gulf Addition. That's the name of it.  The old Prater home site is back there. Camps Gulf Cave is back there and several other caves.

I could lead someone back to Cueva Guapa del Norte, but telling you how to find it.. forget it.

It was off trail and there were several twists and turns and dead reckoning to locate it.  

Hemlock Falls and Cueva Guapa were nice, but I would not make a special trip back there to see them now that I have been there once. The only exception would be if I learned there was something really spectacular beyond them.
Cueva Guapa del Norte and Hemlock Falls

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks! I'll at least check out that Wheeler Farm and Falls. Wish I was closer. My next trip to FCF will probably be to do the Upper and Lower loop trails, and that will take up most of that "weekend".
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Medley Arch is from the same parking area as Wheeler Farm.  Instead of going to the right and walking down the road the trail for the arch should be within sight of the parking area.  I saw what looked like a constructed trail when last by there.  It is to the left not to the right!  Fun things to look forward to!

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(magicmomma @ Mar. 09 2013, 7:00 pm)
Fun things to look forward to!

Oh, yeah. This is going to be a great year!

And an arch, too! Awesome.
 Post Number: 14
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 11 2013, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More water than we had in November. Still a great place, regardless.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 15
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice report! TFS. I like the snow cover contrast.

I've only ridden my motorcycle through that park one time & I just haven't had a chance to go back on foot and hike all that's there. Thanks for taking me along your journey & showing me all that I've missed. I'll have to get over there someday and check it out better.
14 replies since Mar. 09 2013, 3:22 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fall Creek Falls SP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions