2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Saturday Off Trail< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 1:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here are a few photos and a video of our doings Saturday.

Big Bluff Falls

There are more on my You Tube channel.

Rock Creek Gorge Pix

We hiked the Rock Creek Gorge Scenic Spur on the trail and then off trailed it the rest of the way.  The majority of our plans worked out fine. Only one part did not and that was the upper gorge beyond Chestnut Mountain Falls.  That will be a separate trip.

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

earlier this winter i did the Rock Creek Gorge CT section and found it rather boring. i had that on the brain as i was flippin through your photos thinkin 'wow, i missed a lot!'

...must be several Rock Creek Gorges.

lovely photos, MM. thank you for sharing. my wife and i spent some time over that aways this past summer... floated the Ocoee and drove up to the Dome the next day to do the short hike down to Benton Falls. i tried to talk her into doing the bottom-up approach but we ended-up taking the easier route. so, do the trails coming up from the bottom not go by the falls?

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ashe, this trail is the one that starts down there across from Parksville Lake near the swimming beach/picnic area.  This is the Rock Creek Scenic Spur Trail #67 on the Tellico Ocoee Rivers Trails Illustrated map.  It is on a maintained trail for most of the way and is quite easy. You'd both find it a piece of cake.  The off trail part begins at the main falls which are really impressive.  Chestnut Mtn Falls is the one Mark Morrison calls "Secret Falls" in his guidebook.  Its a pretty hike in May when the flame azaleas frame the falls.  Chestnut Mtn Falls is too hemmed in by rock walls and water and steep sheer bluffs to do anything with it far as getting above it from that point.  

There is supposed to be more waterfalls below Benton Falls, but I've never seen but one photo of any of them.  That was taken by Dutch Roth back in 1930!  Upon studying the map I think I see why! Now hell......

That is some steep terrain.  We'll go again and attempt it from the trails above. Either come down from Benton Falls creek crawl style or try to access the stream from one of the side trails.  I think I see a way it can be done.

Famous last words. pffft! :-P

To answer your question.... the trails coming up from the bottom would take you to the falls. Clemmer Cove on the left heading upstream..... flanks the Scenic Spur in the left.

Clear Creek flanks scenic spur on the right.

Both would eventually get you to Benton Falls.

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
 Post Number: 4
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Love it! Great pics, thanks for sharing them.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

YW.  Glad ya liked em, checked 'em out and took time to comment. :-)

--------------
 Post Number: 6
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you for taking the time to post your beautiful video and photos! You always manage to scramble into some awesome areas. I liked the music in your video too. Who is that playing?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks! What a nice compliment.   We are fortunate to live in a beautiful area and healthy enough to get to these spots.   That musician is electric fiddler......... Geoffrey Castle and the song is "Darwin". I really like his music. I did not understand how he does what he does until my nephew Casey started doing it. Its called "looping" and you play something and the system stores it and then you play something else and by using foot pedals as controls you can play all the parts by "looping" back.  It is amazing. It takes tremendous skill to do it.  Technology is truly unbelievable in what it permits!

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok.. Miss Lazy Butt finally got a trip report written and posted for the Rock Creek Gorge Creek Crawl.   I'll just add a link here to the blog rather than tie up more space on the servers here.

I already shared the high points, but the write up puts it in order much mo bettah!

Cumberland Gal Rock Creek Trip

--------------
 Post Number: 9
TNsmith Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for sharing the pictures & videos MM.
Those looked like some neat places to go sometime.

--------------
Check out my Pics
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're welcome.  Thank  you for taking time to check them out and comment. It is a very neat place. Seems like you have a family. I saw a whole passel of kids with two adult men while there.  All were having a grand time!

--------------
9 replies since Mar. 12 2013, 1:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Saturday Off Trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions