2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fiery Gizzard/Dog Hole loop, and Foster Falls< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 3:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This was supposed to be an in/out all the way to Foster Falls. I hiked in early Tuesday afternoon to Raven Point, and planned to go to Foster Falls, then back to Raven Point Wednesday, then take the Dog Hole trail from there back to where it hits Fiery Gizzard. I've been fortunate not to need my chiropractor this year, but had some problems Wednesday morning. Was over 4 hours late breaking camp, and still very stiff. Hiked back by Dog Hole, and drove to Foster Falls, instead hiking it all.

The mix of sunshine and shade was horrible for pics, but I had a wonderful time. The first 5 miles of the Fiery Gizzard trail is nonstop playground for me, and I had to force myself to get back on the trail to even make it to Raven Point before dark, because it took 2.5 hours to get through the first 1.6 miles.

Sycamore Falls

The Fruit Bowl

A few from along the creek, which was beautiful, and there were lots of what I would assume are seasonal falls on either side of the gorge.

Natural Bridge just below Raven Point

From Raven Point overlook
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know why they call it Raven Overlook.

Anderson Falls from just past Raven Overlook

Following the rim on the Dog Hole trail

The Dog Hole mine site

"Black Canyon" on the way out-most of my pics didn't come out well

Also otw out

Foster Falls

Post Number: 3
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful photos! You're a real talent with the camera. Thanks for sharing. I've done most of this trip. Did not see Raven Point or Anderson Falls. Had four kids with me that trip.   It has been years since I did that hike and your photos and description move it closer to the top of the wish list.  Thanks for sharing your photos & trip report.  Glad you had a good time despite your back trouble.
Hope you feel well and no problems and can avoid the chiropracter.

It was March when I was there and it was cold and windy. The guy we went climbing with like to killed me.  I'd have much more fun to avoid going with him. I think he drank a lot.  Ugh!

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks! I try real hard on the pics, but a point and shoot camera can't win a fight with the sun.

Oh, and I don't recommend camping at Raven Point. The campground area is nice and flat, and there's even an outhouse, but there's private property all around there. I could hear cars and motorcycles, and there were dogs barking. Could even see a light from a house or something from camp. That's the stuff I'm trying to get away from!
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ugh! I did not know. Well I don't blame you.  Its live and learn. Thanks for sharing the info so I won't repeat that.

When we arrived at Foster Falls the first trip.... they had closed the gate for the night.  We pitched a tent in the grass and camped for free. Just slept. moved it over to the campground in the morning.

I remember waking to the sound of Tracy City fighting roosters crowing at dawn.

I slept well though and it was a pretty good trip.

I want to go back and stay out of trouble next go round.

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anderson Falls is on private land(there's a lot of private land involved from reading info about the trail), and they have steps down to the upper falls with a little deck at the bottom. Takes the wildness out of it, but it's great that they keep it open for hikers to see.

Here is that "Black Canyon" cascade/fall.

Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Love it!  I found myself leaning in the chair to "get away from the edge" of the canyon.  hahaha!

You are right hard on yourself for the lighting and such, but the quality of these photos and the video is outstanding.  

Seems to be much more water flowing than when I was there.
That is a powerful stream.

The color in this video is great.
Did you use any sort of editing program?
Whatever you're doing you're succeeding.

I'm showing this to Kenny and we're going to plan us a trip down that way.
I'd love a long weekend down there.

I've got  a list long as your arm of caves, waterfalls, and trails I want to check out.  

I think the meter on my Lifetimes lived to do and repeat fun activities just tripped six.

LOL

Thanks again for sharing.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

for what it's worth, the stretch between Anderson Falls and Laurel Gorge is pretty boring. you'll notice on the narrative they skip over like 3 miles or something... for a good reason. even besides that, this is one of my favorite hikes on the cumberland.

thanks for sharing your photos... always look forward to them.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks! I was thinking and hoping that I wouldn't miss much the way I ended up doing it. Wish I could have gone down to the bottom of Foster Falls, though.

(magicmomma @ Mar. 21 2013, 4:35 pm)
The color in this video is great.
Did you use any sort of editing program?

I don't do any kind of editing. I just take lots of pics in succession while I play with the settings(my point and shoot has aperture priority and manual controls that I'm still a novice with), then delete most of them.

My list is so long that I regret any week that I miss an opportunity to go somewhere. Last week I had to do a DOT refresher because I work with hazardous materials, and they always schedule those and other extras on one or the other of my off days :(
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ashe, You know the good spots. Sure nuff do.

Owen, I have a brother in law who works HAZMAT and got a big promotion and a raise recently.  Now my sister in law is a stay at home mom for the first time ever.  It takes a hoss among men to do that job and it appears to be a growing need according to Ed.

Thanks for the answer on your video.  It is just really good.  I edit to stabilize and improve color sometimes in bad light. I sometime add music... sometimes not.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the other end of the trail is all up on the plateau and it crosses several drainages. in wet weather/winter time these all make for big falls that aren't mentioned in the guide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuVozIF3ofk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK_7RACs-JE

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know what? I saw you had posted the other day while playing on my phone, and forgot to come back and watch those videos. Those are great-love it. Thanks for posting them.

I saw a fall across the way, just past where I think the sink is that the creek goes into during drier weather(part of the stream flows under a giant boulder whose upstream side is covered with debris), and wanted to get a closer view, but was running out of daylight, and the crossing the creek in cold weather wasn't happening, anyway.
Think I'll upload a couple of short videos, and put some music on them over the talking. Sometimes I start yapping when the camera rolls, and in both I got going about a trip report I was following when I planned the hike that ticked me off...
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oooo, i hope it wasn't one of my TRs. i sometimes run across my old TRs on here and smack my forehead at the inaccuracies.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, that wouldn't be awkward! Oops...
 Post Number: 15
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool...yet another hiking spot I've never heard of or been to before. Just added it to my list. Doesn't look too far from Chattanooga either.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

One's just a drainage that crosses the trail-I was actually going on about the TRs crying about rocks and talking about how to walk on them('cause it's so complicated!), and the other is a quick front-side view of the natural bridge. The music is whatever youtube popped up on the sidebar...

15 replies since Mar. 21 2013, 3:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fiery Gizzard/Dog Hole loop
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions