2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Gumbo, A question for my Cajun friends< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 8:07 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a bunch of people here this weekend.  Among other dishes was a pot of gumbo I made.  I always use vegetable oil in my roux, but when I bought the andouille the guy at the meat counter got me into an extended gumbo conversation.  He said he always uses butter instead of oil.

Anyone know of this, or have a preference?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 8:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use oil for gumbo (I use 2 parts flour to 1 part oil).   Keep in mind that every pot of gumbo is different and every gumbo cook has the "best" recipe.  :;):

I use butter (sometimes butter and oil) for a white roux, which would be used in a lighter-colored dish, like cream of crawfish soup.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 3
EGreno Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

bacon grease
 Post Number: 4
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Mar. 24 2013, 8:51 am)
I use oil for gumbo (I use 2 parts flour to 1 part oil).   Keep in mind that every pot of gumbo is different and every gumbo cook has the "best" recipe.  :;):

I know.  Everyone up here makes the best crab cake.  Everyone.

I'm a 1:1 kinda guy for now.

EGreno - as it happens I also had some Benton's Bacon, and poured some of the grease in for added goodness.  One person referred to it as "pork ambrosia".  A tad salty to my taste, but it's definitely the real deal.  Not at all artificial like the stuff in grocery stores.
 Post Number: 5
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tel you what.  Make two batches next time and call me about an hour before they're ready.  I'll be happy to help you dial it in.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 6
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 5:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, there are about 2 or 3 servings of leftovers, one of which will be dinner tonight...
 Post Number: 7
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 7:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would never use bacon grease for a roux unless I wanted a bacony flavor ... unlikely with gumbo.  Changing the flour gives it a different taste, too - like using rice flour (as a gluten-free alternative) makes the gumbo taste too much like rice.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 8
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't put in much - I couldn't taste it.
7 replies since Mar. 24 2013, 8:07 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Gumbo
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions