2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for options around Devil's Fork SP, SC, dayhikes and overnighters< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 10:41 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Meeting my parents at Devil's Fork SP, SC where they are getting a villa or something for a three nights in April.
I'll probably spend a day with them around Hendersonville, NC, but will be hiking the other 2 days, and hanging out with them in the evening(we live 15 miles apart, and see each other 2-3 times per week, so tend to do our own things when we do vacation together).
I'm also going to stay in the area for another night or two after they leave.
I should have time for 2 dayhikes, and 1-2 overnighters, and am open for suggestions.

The only plans I have so far are for dayhikes:
-The "Waterfall Tour" at Dupont State Forest in NC, as I've seen Hooker, Triple, and High Falls, but not Grassy Creek, Bridal Veil, or Wintergreen Falls.
-Pinnacle Mountain and/or Table Rock Mountain at Table Rock SP in SC.

Any of you have any favorites that are close by? I can live with a campground if they don't allow backcountry camping.
Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just north of where your staying between Cashiers & Brevard is "Panthertown" valley with numerous miles of hiking, backpacking, waterfalls...etc.

My Panthertown Blog

Friends of Panthertown Info for you to read & decide if you want to hike there. I would recommend it. Just pick up a map first & take it with you.
 Post Number: 3
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Should be a fun trip with too many things to do to make them all fit!
Get on Amazon and order you a copy of the SC waterfalls guides.  There are several.  All are good.   Upstate SC alone has tons of beautiful destinations.
I've only scratched the surface.

Try this too if you haven't already cause its free!
NC Waterfalls.com Upstate SC portion

Shop from among the possibilities and print off the directions you might want before you go.

Have fun!

**edited to add:  I have been to all the waterfalls in DuPont SF except Wintergreen Falls. They are all nice, but the day we went to Grassy Creek falls we had the place to ourselves. It was hot then and we went swimming and sliding. It was great.

Be careful around Bridal Veil Falls. A friend's wife got injured there and it was just real scary. Doesn't look scary, but she was torn up.
It is one of those places things can get away from you before you know it.

Right many people around there too.

Table Rock is an awesome hike and so worth it.
The view is amazing and there is so much to see.
I did it in Autumn.  It is supposed to be a really good Spring wildflower hike with some rarities along the way.
Look for orchids!

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, that was quick! Thanks, y'all, looks like I've got some new reading.

And, yeah, way too many things to do. It's too far for me to just hop up there on a normal week like I've been doing in TN, so I'll have to pick what looks best, and be satisfied with that for the time being.
If I don't make two trips out West this year, I might get up there again, though-had already thought of the Foothills Trail as an option for a vacation, but haven't read up on it enough to know if it's something I really want to do compared to whatever else I come up with.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It would be hard for me to settle on doing a long trail and committing to it like Foothills Trail when there are so many wonderful destination hikes/bushwhacks in upstate SC and NC.   I've got a Panthertown BP trip planned with my BFF in May. Hikerdude's advice about the map reminded me I need to order an up to date Panthertown Map. Cathy has one, but I want my own. Mine is WAY old.
We think there may be some more waterfalls in there unmapped.
We went bushwhacking there our last trip and it was fun!

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a lot of waterfalls in that Panthertown Valley! Lots of crisscrossing trails, too, but the map makes it look pretty simple.

Ah, SC has a Fall Creek Falls, too. And NC...does every state have a Fall Creek Falls? :D

Here's ours:
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful waterfall! I think you're right. Bout erry state in the south must have one! :-)    I am enjoying your TR's and videos so much.  It is bad in that I go woolgathering more and more planning what we goan do next!  Oy!

Putting out fire with gasoline, eh?

Panthertown has some tough parts, but I've found that it is pretty easy hiking. MOST of the time.

Way finding is easier there now than it used to be. Its still a wilderness ,but the good map, some experience and way finding skills make it not so bad.

The hardest, yet most fun thing I've done there ...... was "hiking" below Warden Falls.  With a big group of friends and had the whole Koogler clan along.   The kids were NOT interested in chest deep wading in the water in September especially when the snakes started swimming by.

They really don't have the appreciation for their Snake Goddess mother that they should. hahaha!  So now I have to go back and finish the trek to Devils Elbow or whatever it was called.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Same here. I want to see every place that anyone else posts a pic of(especially those waterfalls you sniff out, and markweth's falls and arches). At least I'll never run out of things to do.

Um, what kind of snakes?
I had a dream last week that I went back to Virgin Falls SNA, and passed by a rattler at the opening to Sheep Cave. Following me into the cave was a very poor decision on his part. Just a dream, but now when I do go back, I'm gonna be looking...everywhere :)
 Post Number: 9
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Panthertown is a good option but you'll be really close to White Water falls on the foothills trail. The hike from Bad Creek to White Water falls and back is an excellent choice. Taking the Foothills to Lake Jocassee is also a great hike.  Pinnacle Mtn is not that interesting. I'd go to Table Rock instead, then go over toe Jones Gap and hike the  Rim of the Gap Trail. There's a hike between Dupont and Caesar's Head to Raven Cliff Falls which is pretty nice if you go all the way to the Falls then make a loop of it.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hahaha, I just read a bunch of trail reports that make the Rim of the Gap trail sound horrendous. Definitely on the list. If I can make that happen with a shuttle from family, it sounds great.

This is getting out of hand, already. May have to take an extra day, or head out on a hike before the family leaves...
 Post Number: 11
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You've got myriad options for both day hikes and over nighters.  Here is a great site for SC:  http://www.sctrails.net/trails/

If you want a nice out and back try Foothills Trail from the Laurel Valley access (Hwy 178 @ Rockybottom) and hike to Laurel Fork Falls (~8 miles).  Beautiful hike, long stretch along a ridgeline then down into a valley following Laurel Creek.  Laurel Fork Falls drops 80 feet into Lake Jocassee.  Very good campsites at the top of the falls.  April is also a great time to see the Oconee Bells in bloom.  They are a rare plant only found in a handful of counties in NC-SC-Ga.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(retired reddog @ Mar. 26 2013, 1:28 pm)
Here is a great site for SC:  http://www.sctrails.net/trails/

That sure is a great site! We need something like that for Alabama. I love how you can choose your activity, then click on the county, then the individual trails. That's really handy.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heading up there in the morning after work, and hopefully straight to Table Rock Mtn. Will try to cram in as much as possible.
The plan M-W is to dayhike Table Rock Mtn, Rim of the Gap trail, and DuPont, then spend Thursday, and maybe Friday nights in Panthertown Valley.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I hiked in to the Walls of Jericho from the TN side this week, and did some rappels from the lower cliffline into the amphitheater after hiking the Bear Den Point loop the day before(which was excellent, btw-shame I'd overlooked it so many times).
If I can get back up to the Kentucky side of BSF and Mt. Rogers, VA, plus finally do the Bear Creek backcountry loop and some mountain biking at Cloudland Canyon in GA, it's going to be quite a month!
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Late start Monday. Pinnacle Mtn trail to Mill Creek Falls spur.
Off-trail from Foothills trail to Whitewater Falls and all over the side of the gorge Tuesday. Drew blood from every limb and destroyed a pair of shorts, but also got to stand behind the falls on one side.
Rim of the Gap trail, plus Grassy Creek and Wintergreen Falls at DuPont, yesterday.
Big storms and 2" of rain coming tonight. Thought I was hiking to Green River Narrows, but was on the wrong trail. Still lots of fun in a nice creek with some rapids and falls, but it ended at the putin for the kayakers, and a ~2.5 mile road walk to my car.
Overnight at Panthertown Valley tomorrow into Sat.

HighGravity, I really enjoyed Rim of the Gap, and have a story to go with it :)
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 6:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well let's hear it.

On the Green River trail, you probably weren't on the wrong trail. The main trail itself never goes to the river for some reason. You have to go off trail about a mile and a half in. You have to look close but there's a small trail there made by people going to the Green River Narrows competition each November. It's a steep climb down and there are ropes on the trees to hold onto. It's definitely worth it. That's a beautiful river especially in that spot.  Here's a couple pics that don't do it justice.

Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2013, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Apr. 12 2013, 5:44 am)
Well let's hear it.

The trail was still closed for winter due to ice, which was *supposedly* still evident as recently as a few days prior.  Anyway...they told me the trail was closed for that reason, which I said was impossible, and that I was going to hike the trail.
They asked me to turn back if it was icy. Seriously. It was in the 70s, and had been 84 at lower elevation the day before.
So I hiked it, and it was fine.

I went back up to assure them that there was no ice, or reason for the trail to be closed(and inform them that the cable was down on the place they have one across a drainage). Right after I talked to the young lady at the desk, I went around to the vending machines. While I was there, a man and woman came in who worked for the state, and were supposed to hike the trail and report on the trail conditions. Saved them the trip, and I assume the trailhead signs and caution tape closing the trail will be taken down...

The first half, being the rough part, took 2hrs with all the picture taking and stuff, and the second half took another hour. I bet coming from Jones Gap could add up to another hour, though.
The difficulty was extremely over-exaggerated in the trip reports I read, and it was a lot of fun.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It seems to be open or closed at sporadic times throughout the winter months. If you start at Jones Gap, it's a bit more strenuous.
16 replies since Mar. 26 2013, 10:41 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for options around Devil's Fork SP, SC
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions