2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fax Branch Trail?, #155 in Joyce Kilmer< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 11:16 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While looking at the NGS map of the Fontana/hiawassee area, saw that there was a trail. Fax branch, number 155....

It's not on the tellico NGS map....

Anyone have any info on this trail?

Or have hiked it?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

U be making that up. ;^D Wow. What a name!

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a trail in the Kilmer/Slickrock wilderness called the Horsecove Branch trail #155 which starts at the road which goes to and deadends at Maple Springs (1127).

It parallels the Jenkins Meadow trail and goes along Horse Cove Creek and then veers north towards Rock Creek knob and the Haoe Lead trail but deadends 700 feet below and looks to be a marked trail made from an old logging cut.  It's on my paper Kilmer/Citico map.

The trailhead is just a mile from Santeetlah Lake near Robbinsville, NC.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why would I make it up?      Just reading what's on the map....

Yeah tipi that's the same trail.....it's listed on NGS map 784 Fontana but not on NGS 781 tellico map....

You ever done it?
 Post Number: 5
chief1 Search for posts by this member.
Labeck

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Kevin
I do not have any idea about #155. just wanted to jump in, & let you know that. I was looking at doing a fly fishing trip up & down eagle & hazel creek after  mothers day next month, you interested?

--------------
The Best thing to do behind a Friends back is to Pat it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't done it as if it's anything like the unmaintained Haoe Lead trail then it's hellish.  Plus, it's not on most maps and so you know the forest service could care less.  Plus, the thing deadends which tells me it's a trail to nowhere unless you like bushwacking.

--------------

Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Chief---let me get back to ya on that one.......remind me when it gets closer.....I haven't been in the park camping in a number of months now....

Yup---tipi, since its not on many maps---that's what appeals to me.....I wonder what is at the deadens.../

And yeah---I figured since the trail is not really listed anymore---it would be overgrown and what not......

I've only been on that road passing through horse cove once and didn't really look for that particular trailhead but scouting out the other trailheads....

So haoe lead is overgrown?     I'm looking at doing that one in the next month or so and was wondering about campsite areas and water sources along it......

And speaking of maintaining and/or building trails----I was heading down from big fat gap parking lot last Sunday and maybe a mile or so down from it, on the left; saw some flagging ribbons that lead up a hill and looks like someone is cutting a new trail along it....

Anyone know anything about this one as well?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 9:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't backpacked the Haoe Lead trail in a year or so---so my info may be dated as I think SAWS came out recently and might have tackled it.  The worst part is way past the Deep Creek trail jct and about a mile before reaching the Jenkins Meadow jct.  After the Jenkins jct the Haoe Lead trail is fairly excellent.

I just came down the Big Fat Trail a couple weeks ago and know the forest service likes to mark problem and/or dead hemlock trees with ribbons to designate some kind of recovery program and they do this on the Big Fat trail.  I doubt seriously they'd be into cutting any new trails.  But after they clearcut an acre on Hangover Mt in 2007 to land a helicopter, it would not surprise me if they decide to clearcut and log out Big Fat Creek or Slickrock Creek.  I know, it's a designated wilderness and all---just tell the forest boys that.

--------------

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The one I was referring to is off the road coming from the parking lot....

If one left the parking lot heading towards 129, maybe a mile or two down the road, there's a distinct cut of new trail.....

I wasn't in the mood to scope it out other than seeing that it lead a couple hundred yards up a hill with ribbon and looks like its been cut with something like a Pulaski......
 Post Number: 10
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(chief1 @ Apr. 04 2013, 9:15 am)
Hey Kevin
I do not have any idea about #155. just wanted to jump in, & let you know that. I was looking at doing a fly fishing trip up & down eagle & hazel creek after  mothers day next month, you interested?

Chief, not trying to jump in on your invite, but I will be doing a long weekend of fly fishing after mothers day as well.  If you aren't dead set on the Park, & might be interested in Cherokee or Nantahala NF, shoot me a PM and maybe we can get together.
 Post Number: 11
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i hiked haoe lead over labor day 2010 and it was crazy overgrown... as in can't see your feet for long stretches. the trail wasn't too hard to follow, even so -- stays on top of the ridge the whole way if i'm remembering correctly. i'll check my GPS log this weekend and let ya know if i flagged any campsites... there're definitely some up near jenkins meadow junction

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ultra----I was going to suggest to chief that he'd do some fishing along north Citico creek and then I'd definitely join him.....

As for haoe lead----I know of a campsite along Jenkins meadow trail maybe a tenth of a mile from the intersection....I've done and up and down along Jenkins meadow and stayed there a few months ago....

I figure (as long as I can make it) go up haoe lead to hangover and spend night there and come down deep creek trail.....

But it's good to know what other campsites/water sources along way.......
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Apr. 05 2013, 10:15 am)
Ultra----I was going to suggest to chief that he'd do some fishing along north Citico creek and then I'd definitely join him.....

As for haoe lead----I know of a campsite along Jenkins meadow trail maybe a tenth of a mile from the intersection....I've done and up and down along Jenkins meadow and stayed there a few months ago....

I figure (as long as I can make it) go up haoe lead to hangover and spend night there and come down deep creek trail.....

But it's good to know what other campsites/water sources along way.......

From Maple Springs/Deep Creek jct on the Haoe Lead trail there's a spring flowing over a big rock way before reaching the terrible briars before the Jenkins Jct.

Past the Jenkins Jct on Haoe Lead there's the flat table land of the Meadow where there are several excellent campsites.  The biggest, flattest one has a pig seep water source down the north side of the ridge---the one facing Hangover Mt---and it makes the campsite perfect.  

Here's a nice rock overlook on the Haoe Lead trail as it heads up the mountain.

Here's a typical big rock formation on the Haoe Lead trail.  There are many such "whale" rocks.

Here's the main campsite on Haoe Lead past the Jenkins jct in the flat "meadows".

Here's the pig wallow water source right below the Haoe campsite.

--------------

Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

cool.......

i may stay at the meadows campsite, but if i can make it up to hangover, i may do that.......

this trip isnt for a little while (as in, not this weekend)......

i've got another route picked out for this weekend.....
 Post Number: 15
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

skunka the man-bear-pig-dog.
hikes like a man, looks like the rest.
RIP.
 Post Number: 16
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

is Shunka a chow dog?

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(UlightBandit @ Apr. 05 2013, 2:58 pm)
skunka the man-bear-pig-dog.
hikes like a man, looks like the rest.
RIP.

A moment of silence for the departed beloved.  Man-bear-pig dog about says it all.

Yes, he's a chow mix with something else.  Akita?  Lab?  Jeremiah Johnson?

--------------

Post Number: 18
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 9:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

17 replies since Apr. 02 2013, 11:16 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fax Branch Trail?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions