2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cohuttas in North Georgia, Memorial Day weekend.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 3:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few of us are taking a trip. Anyone who doesn't suck interested?

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's the path?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Working on it as we speak.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Mudslide1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep. Never turn down a trip up thar. Just got back from up thatta way doin the Panther Cr Loop. I'll take a gander at the work schedule and see.
 Post Number: 5
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 3:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking like Dally Gap to Beech Bottoms. 8 1/2 miles with 20 river crossings. Short and sweet. Cgap and I have done this trip and as long as it doesn't rain it will be pretty casual.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just pulled part of this trek.  There's a great campsite where the BMT jcts the upper Jacks River trail on the left just after you pass the BMT jcts (right and left).  I wanted to continue down the Jacks but it was February and didn't feel like pulling all those crossings as the water was high.

Instead I stayed on the BMT to Watson Gap and beyond to the Pinhoti northern terminus and took it 3 miles to Buddy Cove Gap and got on FS road 64 (the road was closed for the winter) and humped it up to Three Forks Mt to East Cowpen and camped on top of the Panther Creek trail jct.

Then I stayed on East Cowpen to Hickory Ridge and crossed the mighty Jacks and went up Beech Bottom trail to the trailhead and got on FS road 62 (Big Frog road) and turned right to jct with the Chestnut Mt/Wolf Ridge trails so I could tie back into the Big Frog and exit out at Thunder Rock campground on the Ocoee River.

A great trip.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 7
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just fingered that out on my map. Looks like a good trip.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Change of plans. We are doing the whole JRT. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM. Otherwise, I'm gonna quit posting here because it looks like all that are interested are planning this on FB.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, you've been wrong before.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 10
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Apr. 10 2013, 5:04 pm)
Well, you've been wrong before.

Let me rephrase that. People that I don't talk to on the phone or are on FB.
:D

You and Gap are both maybes at the moment. I hope that changes.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd love to go but I have to take a group of kids up to LeConte the end of that week and my youngest has a soccer tournament in Chatt all weekend. I get Memorial Day off though :)
 Post Number: 12
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was in the area last weekend.  The Jacks and the Conasauga were both as high as I've seen them.....no rocks visible above the water line and rolling along pretty good.

The wet weather streams are flowing to, as we've had a wet winter and spring this year.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 13
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i have a three day weekend that weekend, and i had other backpacking plans but i may change them to this trip (that is, if i'm welcome).....

if i do change---i can give gap a ride down if he meets me in knoxville..........
 Post Number: 14
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 2:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pastywhite @ Apr. 11 2013, 5:05 pm)
I'd love to go but I have to take a group of kids up to LeConte the end of that week and my youngest has a soccer tournament in Chatt all weekend. I get Memorial Day off though :)

Cool. Soccer was my game growing up. And every now and again when I forget I'm old.  :D

Maybe next time.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 2:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Apr. 16 2013, 2:04 pm)
I was in the area last weekend.  The Jacks and the Conasauga were both as high as I've seen them.....no rocks visible above the water line and rolling along pretty good.

The wet weather streams are flowing to, as we've had a wet winter and spring this year.

Thanks for the report. I'm hoping it isn't to bad. I think you have to have been there to understand how quickly it can get bad.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 2:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Apr. 16 2013, 4:44 pm)

i have a three day weekend that weekend, and i had other backpacking plans but i may change them to this trip (that is, if i'm welcome).....

if i do change---i can give gap a ride down if he meets me in knoxville..........

C'mon. So far its only four of us for sure.

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We got another 1.5 inches or rain here in the Chattanooga area Thursday night......and I was in the Alculsy area again this weekend, on my way to the Sylco Creek trail.  Sylco creek's 8 crossings were about twice as deep as what I've come to expect.

We've been dry for the last 10 years or so.....this year we're actually having a normal spring and are about 4 inches above normal on rain fall.

Fellows, there's water in every draw.  You could canoe the Jacks and Conasauga right now as it's higher this week than it was last week.  Not one rock viseable above the water line, not one.

Not sure what six weeks will bring, but right now, river crossing on the lower end of the Jacks will be Challenging.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah I was out there 2 weeks ago crossing the Connie at Hickory Cr. Was over the knees even then!
Im hoping I can make it. Ive got the weekend off but sometimes they tweek my schedule at work during a holiday weekend.
 Post Number: 19
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 6:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sweet! Sounds like a fun trip is to be had.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not looking good for me. The technician on day shift has vacation scheduled for the week before Memorial Day, so if we're working I'll have to work.  :(
 Post Number: 21
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dang!

--------------
 Post Number: 22
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 12:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The fat lady hasn't sung yet...
 Post Number: 23
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 7:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cgaphiker @ Apr. 23 2013, 12:45 am)
The fat lady hasn't sung yet...

:)

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stayed home this weekend because it's been a wash out.  Another 3 1/2 inches of rain fell over the weekend.  Rain in the forecast for the week ahead and another large front due in Friday and Saturday.

I hope to be over that way again next weekend....I'll let you know how high the river is......I suspect it's really rolling....

--------------
 Post Number: 25
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Apr. 28 2013, 5:38 pm)
Stayed home this weekend because it's been a wash out.  Another 3 1/2 inches of rain fell over the weekend.  Rain in the forecast for the week ahead and another large front due in Friday and Saturday.

I hope to be over that way again next weekend....I'll let you know how high the river is......I suspect it's really rolling....

The sky is falling here right now. Biggest rain in a long time. Maybe it will calm down by then.
Will appreciate the update next week. Thanks.
I suppose the plan is to go anyway. I don't have to be at work for a few days after this trip is scheduled to end and the kid will be on summer break if so we get trapped between crossings its all good to me. Don't know about the others.
Looks like its gonna be a kick'n trip for sure.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, it's Saturday again and here I sit......heavy rain again this weekend.  3 to five inches expected over the weekend with locally heavy amounts to 8 inches.

Flood warning in effect.  

The area will be close to 12 inches above normal for the year when this front passes through.

There's still a few weeks before your Jack's River hike, but if the weather pattern remains the same....well...you might want to just kayak it.....

--------------
 Post Number: 27
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seriously. That trip would be way to dangerous with the rain we are having now. Its been nonstop heavy all day in Atlanta.

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, Ive got that weekend off but its Fri-Sun it is. Am I good with that? Also yeah, I might have to blow the dust off of that ol' scuba license for the JRT! :)
 Post Number: 29
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not sure what we are doing? I'll find out.

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2013, 7:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wound up with 6 inches in the rain gauge.  Whitfield county GA is reporting flooding along the Conasauga river near Sloan Bridge.

The last time we rode Iron Mountain, which crosses the Conasauga a couple of miles west of the Jack's river trail head was March 10th.  The river's been to high to for horses to cross.....Last trip to the area was April 20th...Sylco Creek was about twice it's normal flow....been raining every weekend.

Yesterday I talked to a fellow who lives on Greasy creek in Polk County TN and he said the creek was still high but back within it's banks.

More rain forecast for next weekend...with a chance of rain everyday this week.....it's been three weeks now and we're having trail withdrawals...hope to get over that way possibly next sunday if the weather cooperates.  

The good thing is we went for a lot of weekends without rain so the wife and I got a lot of trail time in January and February which we don't normally get.

--------------
66 replies since Apr. 06 2013, 3:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cohuttas in North Georgia
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions