2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Savage Gulf blooms, south cumberland< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 9:58 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i did a quick overnighter at Savage Gulf this weekend, lookin to see if anything was blooming yet. i hiked the south rim from Savage Falls down to Sawmill Campsite. pretty much nothing was blooming up on the rim, save for a smattering of yellow violets and bluets. i had much better luck down in the canyon, especially the area surrounding the campsite and Schwoon Spring...

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 3
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow! Thanks for sharing these! Very very jealous!  :-)  Stuff has been slow to get going this year, but so worth the wait.   Those are some EXCELLENT wildflower shots!  A plus gold star material every one of them. I especially love the shots of the fiddleheads.  The first shot of the fern fiddleheads is my favorite. I'd frame that and put it on a wall. Love the earth tones and the graceful shapes. You can almost feel the fuzz on them the photo is so clear!

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah dude! i was pretty pysched about how a lot of these came out, especially the fiddleheads.

hey, i was hopin to get you to tell me what those purple flowers are at the end of the first post? these were all growing on top of a big boulder (very last photo after the fiddleheads). i didn't find them anywhere except for this one spot and there must of been 100+ blooms on this one rock.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Purple phacelia. They are so pretty.  I have seen them growing this way in many places.  Road Turn manway in the Smokies they grow en masse atop a boulder. Rock Castle Gorge in Fentress Co. I saw the biggest cluster ever growing atop a boulder the size of a room.  They must have real shallow root systems to be able to do this and thrive.
Glad you liked your results. I know  you put a lot of effort into this. You should be proud!

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
 Post Number: 6
schlanky Search for posts by this member.
Lead singer, driver of the Winnebago

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the bloom report. I almost hiked Collins Gulf to Sawmill this past weekend, but opted for another trip to Frozen Head instead. Maybe I can catch Savage Gulf  in the next couple of weekends.

Awesome pics!

--------------
Looking out the window
The trees are getting closer, it seems
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey.. not to hijack Ashe's thread, but schlanky, what trails did you hike at Frozen Head?

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah, how was Frozen Head, Schlanky?  anything blooming up that a-ways?

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very little blooming at Frozen Head. I walked a  loop on Spicewood and Chimney Top. Camped at Mart Fields. Saw lots of little things here and there and a few trillium plants, but no blooms. I'm guessing it'll be another week or two before things get good there.

--------------
Looking out the window
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Schlanky, I thank you for sharing. I had set out to hike that exact hike. My backup plan was South Old Mac and Judge Branch. After speaking with a ranger I opted for plan B.  He had said nothing would be blooming up high. Upon looking around I had to agree with him.  Glad I saved that for a little later in the season!

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This time last year, the flowers were peaking there, but last weekend it still looked a lot like winter on the ridges. I had some really nice views off the mountain this trip that I didn't have when I went last year, but hate that I was too early for the blooms.

--------------
Looking out the window
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I made it back to Frozen Head this weekend (April 20-21). Blooms are peaking there right now. Lots of white trillium and bellwort on top mile of North Old Mac from junction with Panther Branch Trail up to the top. The upper mile or so of Spicewood was also really nice. Smaller flowers (phlox, irises etc) are blooming on Judge Branch and Panther Branch Trails.

--------------
Looking out the window
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

man, i somehow manage to miss peak bloom every friggin year.

take any photos, Shlanky?

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I took a few but have been so busy since I got home (just bought a new house & we're still unpacking) that I haven't even pulled them off the camera. One of these days, I'm gonna actually sign up with a pic hosting service so I can post pictures again.

You might still be able to catch some stuff this weekend.

--------------
Looking out the window
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah, i wish i could get out this weekend, but i don't think it's gonna happen.

congrats on the new house! we bought our first house last year... took us months to finally get settled. but we had a bunch of work to do on our place.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah--I'm probably gonna be unpacking the rest of the year.

Once we got everything moved into the new house, I told Mrs. schlanky I needed to try to sneak in a few backpacking trips while it's still cool. I made the promise that I'll work my a@@ off around the house during summer when it's too hot & buggy to hike.

--------------
Looking out the window
 Post Number: 17
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for sharing, I've really grown to enjoy the spring flowers around here.
16 replies since Apr. 08 2013, 9:58 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Savage Gulf blooms
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions