2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Some pics and vids from the first part of April< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 8:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Much as I would like to make more detailed TRs, it would just take too much time.
Week before last, I hiked the Bear Den Point loop from the AL trailhead at the Walls of Jericho, and camped at the site by the TH. Hiked into Walls of Jericho from the TN trailhead the next morning, and did multiple rappels into the amphitheater of the Walls from the lower cliff line, since setting up from the top into the Grotto and amphitheater was going to be very dangerous without finding an alternate route that involved a lot more time and distance.
I've already got threads with tons of pics from here.

I have pics from the Bear Den Point Loop, and may add those, or make a separate thread later, though I did upload some videos.
Overlooking this trail(particularly when the leaves are down) is a mistake, and I've done that very thing half a dozen times over the past few years.
Also have some from the hike in from the TN trailhead. I put all those pics on a USB thingie to clear my memory card, and hid it from myself...

From the Bear Den Point Loop.

From Walls of Jericho.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last week was all dayhiking, as I was doing a family trip with my parents, who extended their stay into when I'd thought to be overnighting. This made for fairly short hiking days, as we ended up having breakfast and supper together every day.
Monday 4/8:
-Drove from AL to SC in the morning after working all night. Pinnacle Mtn. trail to Mill Creek Falls spur.

Don't know that this one has a name.

This one is called Spring Bluff Falls, though it isn't much of a fall...

This is Mill Creek Falls

I get fascinated with little stuff like this...

Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On the way out. Lighting was much improved vs. on the way in.

Carrick Creek Falls.

Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tuesday 4/9:
-Whitewater Falls. Quick stop to check out the overlook on the way to DuPont State Forest turns into 6hr off-trail jaunt down the side of the gorge, upriver to the base of(and behind) the falls, then back along the underside of the cliffline with many deadends and backtracking. Loved it!

Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd made a video before this one, and was coming down some steep stuff off the Foothills Trail, talking about it being at a 70-80 degree angle in some places, and when I broke out onto the water, said "There's a dadgum bridge down here!"

This last video...right near the end I said "I can go right there, but there'll be nothing." But that time there was a place that I could slide down about 30ft on my butt, then another little drop, and I was at the bottom. When I came out onto the water, there was that stinking bridge again!
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wednesday 4/10:
-Rim of the Gap Trail from Caesar's Head SP to Jones Gap SP, then to DuPont to hike and ramble around Grassy Creek Falls and Wintergreen Falls.
80F outside, and these fruitcakes had the trail closed due to ice.

Modeling my ZPacks chest pack at the first waterfall, which is right where the trail branches off from the Frank Coggins Trail.

Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From DuPont State Forest:
This is the top of High Falls from the covered bridge.

Grassy Creek Falls.

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wintergreen Falls, which my pictures do no justice. The falls, and the area below, are beautiful.

Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thursday 4/11:
-This hike was suggested by a local, and supposed to take me to the Green River Narrows. THs aren't marked, and I got on the wrong trail on the wrong creek from the wrong bridge. Nice hike along, around, and across the creek, but the trail ends up at the parking lot where kayakers have to portage .6 miles to the putin well above the Narrows, and I hiked along the road about 2.5 miles back to my car.

A debris pile.

On the other side of the debris pile is a gorgeous waterfall!

These are at the start of the hike, but the light was better as I was leaving.

Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Friday 4/12:
-On the way to Panthertown Valley I visited Connestee and Eastatoe Falls. After checking out Schoolhouse Falls at Panthertown Valley, and a cascade while taking the Panthertown Valley Trail to the Green Valley Trail just to look around, my hike up the Devil's Elbow Trail turns into another off-trail romp with multiple creek crossings, and lots of crawling through rhododendron. Missed some of the falls, but had a blast, even though my pics all suck.

Connestee/Batson Creek  Falls

Eastatoe Falls. I would never have found if not for the sign!

Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From Panthertown:

This is actually on the road in to the Cold Mtn Gap TH, and taken from my car window.
Must go directly into a sink(or a drain I didn't see) as no water was getting on the road.

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, and here's a couple of snakes. They, along with the gnats, are officially out!

It's headed right for us!

Post Number: 14
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hey man, do you think zpack's chest pack would fit an SLR camera? the zpacks guy wouldn't give me a straight answer in that regard.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What are the dimensions, as you would want to carry it? I don't have a SLR, but maybe I could mock something up, or just find some similar sized items to the body and lens to stick in there. Probably depend on the size of the lens and height of the camera body.
 Post Number: 16
Mudslide1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, I dont even have to leave the chair to go hiking now. You've pretty much captured all that I see for an entire hiking season. Nice pics!
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks! Um...it's supposed to encourage people to get out there! :p
 Post Number: 18
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, simply awesome.  Very beautiful, water water everywhere.

I didn't need anymore desire to get out there, but if you have a way to get me extra time, I'm all for it.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
17 replies since Apr. 18 2013, 8:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Some pics and vids from the first part of April
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions