2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Short hikes off of I95?, drive from Pa to Fla, need green spaces< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
3Sapphires Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 11:30 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi everyone!

I was hoping someone here might have some ideas for me.  In June my family is driving from Pa to Fla and would like to take some short breaks from the car.  We find that short hikes really recharge us, but would love them to have a focal point as well - like a waterfall.

Does anyone have any ideas for hikes that are:
close to I95
1 mile or shorter
have something to look at

We will be making the drive over 2 nights, but will decide how far to drive each day once we have our breaks worked out. . .

Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Near DC, just off the 495 Beltway is the various Billy Goat Trails near the "Great Falls of the Potomac".  The rapids are pretty cool.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 3
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In SC check out the Francis Beidler Forest and the Palmetto Trail in the Santee National wildlife refuge. When you get to Georgia there should be quite a few options since I95 hugs the coast.
 Post Number: 4
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

About 20 years ago, I pulled off of 95 for a break and went to Santee State Park.  When I got there it said, "Closed on Tuesdays"

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a good resource for South Carolina, SCTRAILS.NET.  Look at your map, see which counties you'll be driving through and check those counties on the trails map.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 6
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where in FL are you headed? If you can be persuaded to get off the interstate, take A1A from St Augustine to Ormond Beach. It is well worth the extra 20 minutes for 50 miles to see one of the most pristine sections of coastline in the state.

Take a stop at Gambler Rogers Rec Area and use the bathrooms/walk on the beach. And you must take the drive through the old Florida Oaks around Tamoka State Park. You'll see the sign for the turn off right on the road.

Check out http://www.floridastateparks.org for more info.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
5 replies since Apr. 23 2013, 11:30 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Short hikes off of I95?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions