2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for a Backcountry Cabin, Near or in Smokey Mountain NP< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cfrun02 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 8:34 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi everyone!
  One of my favorite experience was when i was in Montana and was able to drive 10-15 miles in to the mountainous area and then do about a 3 -4 mile hike to a small backcountry cabin on top of a mountain that had a wood burning stove. My gf and I are doing a southern trip and will be in and near Smokey Mountain NP. Is there anything like that near or in the NP??? I have had a hard to searching the net for such a place. I am not looking for some super nice cabin. I am looking for a bare minimum back country cabin in a nice area! Thanks in advance!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 9:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is nothing like that in the Great Smoky Mountains. You can hike to a lodge with cabins in on Mt. LeConte, but you won't be in the back country and will be covered up with people.  Go down to the Cherokee National Forest's southern section and look about renting the Donley Cabin out near North River.  There is also the Stewart Cabin and the Swann cabin.  They are not really backcountry as you describe.

Another place you can rent a cabin that is back country is out in the Cumberland Plateau at East Fork stables. They have two back country cabins.
Joe Bott Cabin and Fern Camp Cabin. I've been thinking of doing that with the Fern Camp Cabin.  Fern Camp this time of year has wildflowers, two waterfalls, a natural arch.  Overlooks to hike to. Rock formations.  They cater primarily to horse riders, but would be ok with you hiking to the cabins.  
There is an extensive trail system. You'd never be able to hike it all in one trip.
There is Charit Creek... similar to the situation you'd find at Mt. LeConte. You won't be alone there.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
cfrun02 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(magicmomma @ Apr. 24 2013, 9:02 am)
There is nothing like that in the Great Smoky Mountains. You can hike to a lodge with cabins in on Mt. LeConte, but you won't be in the back country and will be covered up with people.  Go down to the Cherokee National Forest's southern section and look about renting the Donley Cabin out near North River.  There is also the Stewart Cabin and the Swann cabin.  They are not really backcountry as you describe.

Another place you can rent a cabin that is back country is out in the Cumberland Plateau at East Fork stables. They have two back country cabins.
Joe Bott Cabin and Fern Camp Cabin. I've been thinking of doing that with the Fern Camp Cabin.  Fern Camp this time of year has wildflowers, two waterfalls, a natural arch.  Overlooks to hike to. Rock formations.  They cater primarily to horse riders, but would be ok with you hiking to the cabins.  
There is an extensive trail system. You'd never be able to hike it all in one trip.
There is Charit Creek... similar to the situation you'd find at Mt. LeConte. You won't be alone there.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

wow! thanks for the great tips! I will look into these!
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sure thing. After moving to be near the Smokies I have fallen in total love love love with the Cumberland Plateau.  I run off out there the majority of the time now. Wild places for a wild woman.

edited to add one more thing. IF you opt to go to the East Fork Stable to rent a cabin from them.. drive up Hwy 127 while there to the Jordan Motel. Deer Gap rd goes beside the motel and back into the gorge.  You'll be at the top of a bluff line and have to park.  From there you can hike an easy trail to an amazing overlook of Buffalo Cove, hike down thru a Fat Man's squeeze on rock steps to see the 70 ft high multi drop Deer Gap Falls and explore the terrain. It is steep and in Spring laden with wildflowers!

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
 Post Number: 5
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would say the Donley cabin in Cherokee NF is about the closest thing you'll find around here.

If you go watch out for snakes.  Seriously.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree! With both!  Donley Cabin is #1 on the list for BC cabins.  Swann next. then Stewart.   In this area.

--------------
5 replies since Apr. 24 2013, 8:34 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for a Backcountry Cabin
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions