2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rainbow Falls and Cave Trip Report, Pix and video.  Also Blue Hole Branch< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 10:21 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Blue Hole Branch Falls and Rainbow Falls & Cave

Dana & Kenny Koogler

Saturday April 20, 2013

Pictures are here starting with frame 332

Rainbow Falls & Cave Pix 

Saturday morning we woke and gathered our things up.  We packed and dropped off the key.  Grabbed some breakfast in town and hit the trail.  We planned

to visit Rainbow Falls & Cave today.  I knew there was another waterfall further back called Blue Hole Branch Falls.  I figured it would be a pretty drive to Overton County and should be a nice, short adventure before having to head home. We were keeping our grandson Michael tonight and Sunday.

Well, I can't tell you a lot about the particulars on this blog because photos = evidence and telling some of what we did could be considered an admission of guilt.

We went back to see the falls and cave.   We found the road re-surfaced in gravel.

We found the gate had been moved to right by Cub Cemetery.  We also found the area had been logged heavily and it appears to be an on-going operation.  It was rather depressing to see.  Whoever did this had no concern for the environment at all and is only worried about making them some Ca$h.   They have left a big old mess and pushed logs over into Blue Hole Branch Falls.   

We managed to find Blue Hole Branch Falls without any trouble. It had rained so much the previous days that you could hear it roaring off in the distance.  It was 

an impressive waterfall that flows and drops into a cave.   We found our way down the bank and approached it counter-clockwise. 

Kenny ahead of me moving toward Blue Hole Branch Falls.

Looking up from inside the passage to Blue Hole Branch

First glimpse of the falls

Out of the passage and onto a narrow ledge to see the falls from here

Blue Hole Branch Fallsdrops into a cave.

We found the waterfall raging and still pretty despite the logging debris pushed into it.

Once through the right hand passage through the rocks we had to turn and hang on to climb on a narrow ledge to view the falls from here.  We found a better way down and a better viewing spot for the falls.  It was a neat place. Glad we finally got to see it.

Next we turned around and headed a short distance back toward Rainbow Falls and Cave.  I don't know where it got this name as I have been here several times and I have yet to see a rainbow here.   It is a pit cave, but not like Never Sink or South Pittsburg Pit or the Dorton Knob Smoke Hole.   It is eroded and has exposed all but the last 30 feet of the 110 foot waterfall.  The cave opening appears to be down and to the right.  It is very cool. I love the layers of rock here. You can carefully walk down into the pit part of the way and can easily see the bottom.   During times of little rain fall this dries up to a trickle.

Today it had the most water I've ever seen on it!

Rainbow Falls and Cave

Plenty of wildflowers around the falls today.

It was a beautiful day to be out.  I know we'll go back. I found out there is more!

How cool is that?  Also have to take John and Sharon to see this.  

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a link to a very cool, short video of Rainbow Falls Cave.

Rainbow Falls Cave

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
 Post Number: 3
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(magicmomma @ Apr. 29 2013, 9:21 am)
Today it had the most water I've ever seen on it!

Love it! Looks like y'all had some serious fun!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Indeed! The other report on the day before was even better, but I won't post it here. It stays on my blog. :-)

--------------
 Post Number: 5
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh wow, what a neat place. what a shame that it's gettin torn up

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, thanks. I agree. One drawback of hiking and bushwhacking in the Seldom Seen is that many of these places are not protected from destruction like a National Park or State Park.   I have to take the good with the bad unfortunately.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(magicmomma @ Apr. 30 2013, 2:34 pm)
Indeed! The other report on the day before was even better, but I won't post it here. It stays on my blog. :-)

Yeah, I do read your blog. Gave me a flashback. Since I'll be 42 next Sunday, that particular memory was unfortunately over 23 years old!
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 6:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

haha! I can believe you have had some memories that will never be publicized, but would make for an excellent story and gossip should it ever git out! LOL  You big luvable redneck! :-)  You've got a kinda Randy Quaid quality to you that I like! I want you on my team.  

I don't post my 4x4 adventures here. The trail sex stuff I don't care to put here.  It don't confront me.

One of our buddies read about my love for trespassing trips and got tickled. His response was that they needed to get me an eye patch and a parrot! hahaha!

I told him I've been told before I had the soul of pirate and the smile of one.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
assquatch20 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 12:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, I live in Overton. What are they doing up there?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 7:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Logging. It is on private land.  It is probably either the landowner as an individual doing it or perhaps having hired a logger to do it.  Whoever is doing it either doesn't give a damn, lacks knowledge and skill, is greedy and in a hurry, or maybe a combination of all three.  We have a farm that has some timber on it.  We have allowed select trees to be harvested but have never allowed anyone to log this way. It is being clear cut.  I can't help wondering too if they are fixing to try to subdivide ag-forestal land into potential house lots? I hope not.  Paper companies get a bad rap for polluting, but the best job of forestry service I ever witnessed was done by the foresters of a paper company. WestVaCo in Virginia.  If everyone practiced forestry stewardship to those standards our world would be a better place!  I watched the neighbors criticize the landowners for allowing it.  But instead of joining in the gossip I went and visited and watched and learned. It was wonderful to see and I learned a ton of stuff.  I wanted to be one of those guys! Now the land and forest is 15 years past the harvest and is healthier than ever and thriving.  If I ever have anyone work on our farm I'll call the forestry service or Westvaco. Not a private logger.    I hope they'll stay clear of Rainbow Falls and Cave. They had progressed up the hill to within 100 ft of the cave, but had not come any closer.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(magicmomma @ May 01 2013, 5:41 am)
haha! I can believe you have had some memories that will never be publicized, but would make for an excellent story and gossip should it ever git out! LOL  You big luvable redneck! :-)  You've got a kinda Randy Quaid quality to you that I like! I want you on my team.  

Well, the first part is certainly true, even if the stories are a little on the rough side.
Randy Quaid? ??? Um...
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Randy Quaid not in your looks but in your sense of humor, your lingo, and your a big guy like him.  You're too clean cut to be looking like him! Meant as a compliment believe me.

--------------
11 replies since Apr. 29 2013, 10:21 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rainbow Falls and Cave Trip Report
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions