2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sparta TN area< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 11:29 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're going to be down in the Sparta, TN area for a week and looking for some ideas for dayhikes. I know we're going to do Fall Creek Falls and The Goodyear/Firestone Wilderness looks interesting as well. Any other little gems in the area that are must see? My knees no longer allow me to take multi day hikes, so most need to be under 5 miles.

Also, are there any restaurants/diners/drive thrus/ or dives that we should absolutely eat? Looking for some great bbq and good Southern home cooking. We're also looking forward to some bluegrass music as well, so any festivals in the area would be wonderful too.

We'll be car camping, so driving to an area isn't a real problem. Anything within an hour to an hour and a half is fine. We've never spent any amount of time in Tennessee, so we're rather clueless. I think we're going to head over to Nashville for day and poke around there to see what we can see.

Thanks for any and all tips!!

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sparta doesn't have a lot to pick from in the way of dining.  Lost Creek Falls and Virgin Falls are must see.   Rock Island is to your west and is great. Planning a camping trip to that area mid June.  There are some good restaurants in that area more than Sparta.  They are close to Center Hill Lake.  
Cumberland Caverns has The Bluegrass Underground and dining.
Hoping to hit that myself this Summer!
Rocky River down the road.. is a desolate place.  But it has a bluegrass jam every Friday and Saturday in the vicinity of the White Hill church.  Heading back to Rocky River during that trip to explore.  That place.. gives me the heebie jeebies, but I can't leave it alone!

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool, thanks for the ideas. I'll do some research on the areas you mentioned. This a trip with no set plans so it should be interesting.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i haven't been to Burgess Falls since i was a kid, so i don't remember what the hike is like. what i do remember are several massive falls.... big. one can drive a boat all the way upstream to Burgess Falls itsself... would be a great ride on a waverunner.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, no waverunners around here. Just an old Coleman canoe, and we're not dragging that down with us.

So magicmomma, why the heebie jeebies?

--------------
 Post Number: 6
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We found a nice little sandwich shop in downtown Sparta.  Right about here. They haven't updated the photo in a while, but it's the vacant place in the pic "Liberty Center"...wish I could remember the name of it.

The trail from the Fall Creek Falls nature center to the falls overlook is a nice walk...trail to the bottom is worth it too.  I'm thinking about taking the boys on the backpacking loop late fall or winter.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 7
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Loved Virgin Falls, when we were there it seemed like it had much smaller crowds than Fall Creek Falls, though it's been a very long time.  Also, though I haven't eaten there in about 15 years, the Foglight, a bit to the west of Sparta, used to be a great place: http://www.foglight-foodhouse.com/index.htm .
 Post Number: 8
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Over the years I've visited many waterfalls in North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and elsewhere in the southeast. Virgin Falls ranks near the top of my list among the most beautiful, and Burgess Falls the most awesome.

The hike to Virgin Falls is 8 miles roundtrip with the uphill section on the return leg, so give yourself plenty of time. You'll pass 3 other waterfalls on the way and well worth it (but it's better when the water is flowing well).

The water course flowing over Burgess Falls is larger and you'll pass a good cascade & two other very nice waterfalls before reaching the big falls. It's just 1.5 miles roundtrip and the only strenuous part is the last drop to the base, though you get excellent views without going all the way down.

If you're in that area, check out Rock Island State Park nearby. Its waterfalls are quite unique and worth the visit.

And, of course, Fall Creek Falls is a real gem of a park with several major waterfalls. It's a must-see if you've never been there.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 1:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, thanks for the great suggestions! I will start doing my homework and come up with a game plan of sorts. If it kills me, I will make the hike to Virgin Falls. I should have eight miles in me, especially with a day pack. Just one other question, can I get by with light hikers? I'd really like to get by with lighter shoes.

I'll write down the name of the sandwich shop there in Sparta. :)

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 7:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If recall correctly (been there once, 4 years ago) the trail to Virgin Falls is not particularly rugged or steep, so light hikers should be fine. And like I said before, it's better if the water is flowing well (I'd save it for another time if there's been a dry spell).

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AnyaDogs @ May 22 2013, 10:29 am)
We're going to be down in the Sparta, TN area for a week and looking for some ideas for dayhikes. I know we're going to do Fall Creek Falls and The Goodyear/Firestone Wilderness looks interesting as well. Any other little gems in the area that are must see? My knees no longer allow me to take multi day hikes, so most need to be under 5 miles.
Thanks for any and all tips!!

I made a few trips up there earlier in the year, and have a few threads posted here. I'll post links-just don't expect to see as much water later than...well, last week, unless we get another big storm system through.

Bridgestone/Firestone is nice, but is more suited to overnighters. Steep downhills getting in of course means equally steep uphills getting out. A couple of the side trails to waterfalls are rough and time consuming in spite of their short length, at least if you want to get up close and personal with the falls. This place is not knee-friendly.
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1163388

Just across the road a couple hundred yards further is the Virgin Falls TH. While also downhill on the way in, and all uphill coming out, the Virgin Falls trail is fairly easy. I did a quick overnight there on short notice, and was back to the car in 18 hours. That includes playing down in the drainages off-trail several times, climbing around Sheep Cave Falls, taking lots of pics, eating, choosing a spot and setting up camp in the dark, and sleeping for 11 hours. Easily done in a day, I just got there in the afternoon, and camped at the top of Virgin Falls. This is a wonderful 4 miles of trail!
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1163232

Fall Creek Falls SP has a dayhiking loop from the nature center to the falls, with several side trips to overlooks you can take, and finishes after getting some great views of Cane Creek falls, as well. The Cable trail was lots of fun, too, and doesn't take very long. While the Cable trail is very steep(aided by the cable), the loop isn't bad at all.
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1163375

Rock Island SP is nothing but short dayhikes. I like the smaller stuff, but Twin Falls is definitely something worth seeing. The water flows straight out of the rock to form those falls(there's a reservoir on the other side).
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1163385
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 26 2013, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyadogs wrote: So magicmomma, why the heebie jeebies?

Imagine an area with a hillbilly version of Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome feel.
Desolation.  Empty house after empty house.  Four lane main roads newly constructed and almost devoid of traffic.  Housing developments set aside with gates and a greeting fountain that costs $$$$ and no water or electricity and not the first house built there.  Land filled with endless pine tree plantations and open fields.  Natural beauty. Few people.  Shacks interspersed with McMansions.

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2013, 3:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

magicmomma: can't wait to see it. Big huge thank you to all of you for sharing your knowledge!

--------------
 Post Number: 14
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just returned from Fall Creek Falls.  The hike to the base of the falls is well worth it.  Also, beautiful rhododendrons in bloom and saw a few deer.  The park has a really nice Inn that has a great seafood buffet on Friday nights!
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 12:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another couple weeks and we'll be down there. Can't wait to see Southern hiking.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 8:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, Have fun my friend! And yer most welcome! I don't have a lot of knowledge but what little bit I've got I'm happy to share.
We were heading out to camp June 14, 15, and 16 but looks like a change of plans.  Kenny can't take a 3 day weekend then so its Western NC and hopefully Dismal Falls for us.  If I can talk Cathy into it!

--------------
 Post Number: 17
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Adding to Owen571's excellent recommendations:

Burgess Falls, just outside Cookeville, TN, is a great half-day hike and meander with lots of history. See State park's Burgess Falls Webpage .

Cummins Falls, just outside Cookeville and the State's newest state park. The hiking trail to the bottom of the falls is still under construction. But there is a short walk from the parking area to a fabulous overlook - an hour or so.
See Cummins Falls State Park .

Cookeville, only a short drive from Sparta, has LOTS of great resturants. Bobby Q's barbecue and Father Tom's Brewpub are my favourites.

I'd recommend camping and spending most of your time at Fall Creek Falls though. There is a great State Park restaurant there too. Plus, they have GREAT ranger programs! June 8 is "Volunteer Weekend" - a volunteer workday where you get to meet some nice people. Sure, it is work, but also great fun. June 7 and 8 is Astronomy weekend - where a ranger presents a great program. Be sure to bring binoculars! See Fall Creek Falls .

There is a great brewery located in Sparta. The owner is a big supporter of the under construction Tennessee Central Heritage Rail Trail. The Tennessee Central Heritage Trail, a rails-with-trail project, will eventually run 19 miles alongside refurbished railroad tracks from Cookeville to Monterey - where I live.
 Post Number: 18
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are going to be in the area on June 22 you might consider ending a good hiking day by attending the Cookeville Wine on The Westside Festival. See Wine On The Westside .

Samplings from dozens of award winning Tennessee wines - sparkling, sweet, semi-dry, and dry white and red wines along with a commemorative wine glass!

Tickets are a bit pricey - $26.87 general admission for alcohol consumption and $11.34 for designated driver.

June is a GREAT time to visit the Sparta area. Great hiking and camping and LOTS of things going on - many free.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Normally, I'd never say on a public message board when we'll be on vacation but since we have someone staying at the house, we'll be down there the end of June and the first week of July.

I looked into camping at Fall Creek Falls but basically all the tent camping spots were taken. There were a couple of crappy ones left out in the open, no thanks. So I was able to secure us a spot for the week at Golden Mountain Park.

We're a little worried that the falls will be running low and slow because of the time of year but you take what you can take for vacation time. Either way we're just happy to be hiking somewhere completely new to us.

Thanks Bass for the additional info. Shame we're gonna miss the Wine On The Westside but we'll be checking out the brewery for certain.

Just one other mostly silly question but I'm curious...will bear spray be necessary down there? We've never taken it when hiking in Kentucky but I'd rather be on the safe side or at least prepared. I've read that black bears are coming back to the area but I'm guessing they're so skiddish your chances of even seeing one are next to nil.

Thanks again folks for all the great info!!

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nah... bears aren't really in the area. i've heard that they've been spotted spreading out pretty far on the Cumberland from a population at Big South Fork, but even there they are few and apparently skiddish... i've never seen a Cumberland bear and i've been hiking there frequently for 10 or so years

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bass said "There is a great brewery located in Sparta."
Wow, you weren't joking about that. Calfkiller Brewery is amazing. We stopped by unannounced and the guys were wonderful. The beer was wonderful. The brewery was wonderful. One of the highlights of our trip. Thank you for that suggestion. We ended up in Nashville on the 4th of July and went to The Flying Saucer just so we could drink more of their beer.

Oh and thanks to all of the rain, the falls were all running quite well!! :)

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

where'd you guys end up hiking?

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We did Fall Creek Falls, Burgess Falls, Rock Island and we ended up driving all the way past the Virgin Falls trail head to the campsites back there. We were going to cross the river and see Rose's Cave (i think it's called) but it started to pour and we were concerned about how much and how quickly the water would rise.

Didn't get to hike Virgin Falls as we ended up having the trip from hedoublehockeysticks. Leaky tent, soaking wet gear, broken brake lines, blown tires and a few other bumps along the way. Fixing things ate into our hiking time. Plus, we were down there to sight see as well. Overall we had a blast tho. Absolutely just gorgeous down there. We'll be back next year so we'll get to hike  Virgin Falls.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i'm sorry for your car and gear troubles... that's a bummer. i'm glad you guys had a good time anyway.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh hey, i got a question for ya... what's the river ford like where you were thinking about crossing? the Upper Caney Fork is tricky, tricky... bone dry (underground) for a spell and then 7-foot deep around the next bend.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

According to the map, we would have crossed at the Fork Hole Ford. We stopped at the Bee Branch Campground and poked around for a bit but the skies opened up and it poured. When we drove there the creek bed was dry by the time we got back to the end it was running pretty fast. The river crossing didn't look bad but we just weren't willing to risk it, even in a lifted jeep. The nice lady at Gulf Trading (think that's the name) said we wouldn't have a problem getting back there and we really didn't. Ended up being a fun little drive.

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AnyaDogs @ May 24 2013, 12:28 am)
If it kills me, I will make the hike to Virgin Falls.

Well, I'm glad you're still alive ... and you still have Virgin Falls to look forward to  :;):

Another gem of a waterfall east of Sparta is Ozone Falls just off I-40. It's a short hike to a scenic and pretty impressive waterfall.

--------------
26 replies since May 22 2013, 11:29 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sparta TN area
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions