2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: slickrock crk trail to naked ground, from calderwood lake trlhead< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
gorgescrambler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 9:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and back via hangover lead trail. looking to do it sat-sun. Should we add Friday or is two days doable with 2 fit hikers with stops to swim at the falls and a side trip to Stratton bald ?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two fit guys could do this loop in 2 days but it'll be a Nut Eater as you're talking about pulling the 12 Slickrock Creek crossings and then the nutbuster climb up the upper Slickrock #42 (which you should be thankful I cleared on my last trip out in May) and then if you're alive you can camp either at Naked Ground or the Hangover---probably NG since you'll be doing a side trip to the Bob.

Going to the Hangover and taking Hangover Lead South to Big Fat will be easy.  I guess you'll also be taking Hangover Lead North out to Yellowhammer Gap and Ike Branch down to Calderwood Lake and out.  No problem there except the Hangover Lead North trail is tiresome.

If it was me I'd do this loop on a seven day trip and really enjoy myself.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 3
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 3:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That would be a haul for a weekender trip of one night....especially if you wanted to stop and swim in Slickrock...and trying to squeeze in Stratton bald..

A more enjoyable route would be to park at big fat gap--go up hangover lead and over to Stratton bald---spend night...then come DOWN Slickrock trail and put big fat gap trail...

However, if you stay at naked ground, you'll find some freshly cut ready to go firewood that i didn't get around to burning from this past weekend...

I was there Saturday night with camp set up by 5pm and was looking at being by myself til around 900 pm when the first of 22 scouts rolled in....from then til 11 pm the rest of the beat, tired, and out of water ones finally made it in...

They took Slickrock up from just a mile from calderwood lake..

They severely underestimated the toughness of the Slickrock trail...

Oh, then it poured like a mutha on Sunday to add to their woes....

We all did a hasty pack up in the am to try to get out as quick as possible as that range was socked in....

I knew the weather beforehand so i was somewhat expecting it and had changed my original route that would have had creek crossings (north fork) and took naked ground trail up instead....
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Naked Ground is pretty good but is open to "invading" groups, sometimes loud scouts or bonfire fanatics who like nursing the booze bottle.  The thing is, if you go out of NG and climb East on the ridge like you're going to the Hangover you'll reach a fantastic campsite in about 200 yards, as shown below.

It's real close to NG where you can get your water.  

--------------

Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Considering the rain through Friday, Slickrock crk from the bottom might be a problem. Thinking now of starting at Big fat gap and trail down to Wildcat falls just to show them to my friend and coming back up Slickrock trl to Naked grd and then Stratton and back via Hangover. Thanks for the help guys
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep in mind---to get to wildcat falls, you'll still have a few fords to do...

We are expecting a few more inches of rain between now and Friday night and I would expect the creeks to be way high...

On a non rain weekend, in spring, the crossings there could be up to yer knees......

I'm changing my route in order to avoid creeks...
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yea, that sucks. May have to change plans again or just go as far as we can and turn around if necessary. I am sure it will be slow going up and down Slickrock crk trl, thinking if we make it to Wildcat and start back up Slickrock trl we may have to camp somewhere before we make it up to Naked Ground. We possibly will not even get to trailhead until noon Saturday to start this hike. Hoping to get there earlier of course.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gorgescrambler @ Jun. 05 2013, 9:01 pm)
Yea, that sucks. May have to change plans again or just go as far as we can and turn around if necessary. I am sure it will be slow going up and down Slickrock crk trl, thinking if we make it to Wildcat and start back up Slickrock trl we may have to camp somewhere before we make it up to Naked Ground. We possibly will not even get to trailhead until noon Saturday to start this hike. Hoping to get there earlier of course.

If you're coming in from the Lake and the water on Slickrock is high you can pull the Ike Branch trail up to Yellowhammer Gap and take Yellowhammer to Nichols Cove trail.

Take Nichols Cove up to Windy Gap and either go down Nichols Cove to the bottom where the Slickrock Creek/Big Fat Gap trails jct and there BINGO is the start of the Nutbuster trail.  It (the nutbuster) has only one main crossing but it's over Hangover Creek and NOT Slickrock Creek.

Or when you're in Windy Gap you can take the newly maintained Windy Gap trail to Big Fat Gap and either go up to the Hangover on the South Lead trail or take Big Fat trail down to Slickrock and go up the Nutbuster.

Many options to avoid high water.

If it was me I'd do the Nichols Cove down to Nutbuster option and take the Nut Eater up to Naked Ground and loop back over the Hangover and down South Lead to Big Fat Gap and out on the Windy Gap trail to Nichols Cove and out on Yellowhammer to Ike and the Lake.

--------------

Post Number: 9
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is the better available trail map for this area?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jun. 05 2013, 9:36 pm)

(gorgescrambler @ Jun. 05 2013, 9:01 pm)

If you're coming in from the Lake and the water on Slickrock is high you can pull the Ike Branch trail up to Yellowhammer Gap and take Yellowhammer to Nichols Cove trail.

Take Nichols Cove up to Windy Gap and either go down Nichols Cove to the bottom where the Slickrock Creek/Big Fat Gap trails jct and there BINGO is the start of the Nutbuster trail.  It (the nutbuster) has only one main crossing but it's over Hangover Creek and NOT Slickrock Creek.

Or when you're in Windy Gap you can take the newly maintained Windy Gap trail to Big Fat Gap and either go up to the Hangover on the South Lead trail or take Big Fat trail down to Slickrock and go up the Nutbuster.

Many options to avoid high water.

If it was me I'd do the Nichols Cove down to Nutbuster option and take the Nut Eater up to Naked Ground and loop back over the Hangover and down South Lead to Big Fat Gap and out on the Windy Gap trail to Nichols Cove and out on Yellowhammer to Ike and the Lake.

Thanks for the suggestions. How many crossing of Slickrock crk between Nutbuster and Wildcat falls ?
 Post Number: 11
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mossy @ Jun. 06 2013, 9:58 am)
What is the better available trail map for this area?

Nat Geo maps #781 and #784 both cover Slickrock. there are some inaccuracies but it gets the job done.

the guv'ment makes a map too, but i've never seen it.

http://www.nationalforeststore.com/merchan....de=Wild

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah---the Ngs one is good for a general overview of trails but not worth much if yer lost (trust me)...

The forest service puts out a 6 buck one (available at some shops or online) that is a little more detailed from what I've heard as I don't own a copy...

As far as crossings between wildcat and nutbuster, I think it's 5 or 6...I haven't done that in between section yet but just going on what I recall from guidebooks.....off the top of my head from the parts of Slickrock that I've done near that section---I can recall 3.....

But as tipi has mentioned, if you hike additional miles on other trails, you can avoid some of the crossings...
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for that info kev and ashepabst. I'm going to check out the NFS one (six dollarbucks!).
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are TWO Slickrock Creek crossings from Wildcat Falls to the start of the Nutbuster trail---one from the falls with a jct with the Big Stack Gap trail and the second over to the Big Fat Gap side (when going upstream from the falls).

For anyone spending a lot of time in the Citico/Slickrock, I recommend the Dep of Agriculture/Forest Service paper map as linked in ashepabst's post.  It's the most detailed at almost 1:24,000 which means it's basically your standard topo map scale.

It's a paper map and so it is very fragile but can be strengthened by using clear packing tape on all the folds before using it in the field.  Plus, it's nearly vital that you mark all the trails on this map with an ink pen first (I like red ink for the trails and blue for the creeks).  Otherwise you just won't see the faint trail lines.

--------------

Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the tips, Walter.
 Post Number: 16
mountaindreamer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jun. 04 2013, 11:01 pm)
Two fit guys could do this loop in 2 days but it'll be a Nut Eater as you're talking about pulling the 12 Slickrock Creek crossings and then the nutbuster climb up the upper Slickrock #42 (which you should be thankful I cleared on my last trip out in May) and then if you're alive you can camp either at Naked Ground or the Hangover---probably NG since you'll be doing a side trip to the Bob.

Going to the Hangover and taking Hangover Lead South to Big Fat will be easy.  I guess you'll also be taking Hangover Lead North out to Yellowhammer Gap and Ike Branch down to Calderwood Lake and out.  No problem there except the Hangover Lead North trail is tiresome.

If it was me I'd do this loop on a seven day trip and really enjoy myself.

Im looking for a 5 nighter starting Monday.  What loop would you recommend for this area and can I fish as well.
Thanks.
Oh, I want to take my time.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im looking for a 5 nighter starting Monday.  What loop would you recommend for this area and can I fish as well.
Thanks.
Oh, I want to take my time.

now that one is easy to suggest......

park at the bridge by the dam.........take slickrock trail to ike branch trail.......

dip down ike branch and you'll run right into slickrock creek trail (and the creek itself)....

maybe go upstream for a day or so........

then to get out.......just take slickrock trail downstream and you'll run right into yer car again after a few miles....

and there's WONDERFUL campsites along the creek in that stretch....
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kevin's idea is good especially in hot weather as Slickrock offers some good swimming.  But really, mountaindreamer's question can't be answered without knowing where your trip will start.

Will it be by the bridge at Calderwood Lake?  Will it be at Big Fat Gap?  Will it be at Farr Gap?  Will it be at Warden's Field on the Citico side?  Will it be at Beech Gap?  Will it be down at the Kilmer Memorial?  Once your entrance point is known then you will get better loop options.

And then if you REALLY WANTED a full five day hike you could do a tremendous loop thru Bald River wilderness and up Brookshire to Sugar Mt and down to the Fish Hatchery and up Sycamore Creek to Whiggs Meadow and take the Skyway BMT to Beech Gap and go to Cold Spring Gap to South Fork Citico---

And down South Fork for a short roadwalk to Beehouse Gap and over Flats Mt to the Skyway for a short roadwalk to Long Branch (or Hemlock Creek) and down it to North River road and Tellico River roadwalk back into Bald River on the Cow Camp side entrance trail.  This is a loop I do all the time.

PLUS when you get to Tellico River from the North River road you could turn left and go to Panther Creek up to Henderson Top which is a back way into Bald River wilderness.  I recommend this because both Panther and Henderson have been recently cleared for some easy hiking.

--------------

Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hey tipi-----sent you a PM the other day asking about crossings on deep creek trail in joyce kilmer........

what are the water crossings like along that trail?

as in, should i be worried about them with high water?

or are they mainly rock hops?
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the message---I just saw it.

The Deep Creek trail has no crossings except for the one pictured below---and it has a nice footbridge.  Plus, there's a great campsite right downstream from this bridge.  Actually, there may be a few crossings higher up but they are nothing to worry about.

Beyond this, the Deep Creek trail stays on the right bank and climbs away from the creek, to jct with the Haoe Lead trail coming from Maple Springs, as below.

Here is the jct with the Deep Creek trail and the Haoe Lead trail.

The last time I backpacked the Haoe Lead trail it had sections of nothing but briar-walls---but lately I heard it's been cleared.  There are some pretty rocks on the Haoe Lead section---

Regarding BRUSH MOUNTAIN---it was completely cleared 3 years ago and hasn't been touched since.  I've hiked it about 7 times and there are a couple places on it that can be real tricky.  In fact, on my next trip (in June) I hope to bring out my trail tools and work Brush Mt from the top down, camping along the way.

--------------

Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jun. 07 2013, 2:27 pm)
Kevin's idea is good especially in hot weather as Slickrock offers some good swimming.  But really, mountaindreamer's question can't be answered without knowing where your trip will start.

Will it be by the bridge at Calderwood Lake?  Will it be at Big Fat Gap?  Will it be at Farr Gap?  Will it be at Warden's Field on the Citico side?  Will it be at Beech Gap?  Will it be down at the Kilmer Memorial?  Once your entrance point is known then you will get better loop options.

And then if you REALLY WANTED a full five day hike you could do a tremendous loop thru Bald River wilderness and up Brookshire to Sugar Mt and down to the Fish Hatchery and up Sycamore Creek to Whiggs Meadow and take the Skyway BMT to Beech Gap and go to Cold Spring Gap to South Fork Citico---

And down South Fork for a short roadwalk to Beehouse Gap and over Flats Mt to the Skyway for a short roadwalk to Long Branch (or Hemlock Creek) and down it to North River road and Tellico River roadwalk back into Bald River on the Cow Camp side entrance trail.  This is a loop I do all the time.

PLUS when you get to Tellico River from the North River road you could turn left and go to Panther Creek up to Henderson Top which is a back way into Bald River wilderness.  I recommend this because both Panther and Henderson have been recently cleared for some easy hiking.

I'll be coming from Chattanooga.  I'm not familiar with the area so I'm not sure where I should start.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks......

my plan is to go up haoe lead, stay at hangover and then come down deep creek....

i did brush mountain over memorial day weekend, and the lower part (coming from south fork citico) up to the first campground were quite a breeze....

after that it became a little sketchy and then would open back up into a "real" trail coming up and down some rhodo tunnels....

but after that, that's when it became real difficult to follow.....

at some points---i was either following ribbon to ribbon on the trees and/or where i saw someone cut a log.....

and there was no real trail tread in that area..........

that was probably the last mile or so of the upper part, before one hits cold spring gap trail......

i did find another campsite along the way up there that hadnt looked like it had been used in quite some time, and after that is when brush mountain trail really became hard to follow...
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be coming from Chattanooga.  I'm not familiar with the area so I'm not sure where I should start.

i would say the easiest place for ya, and seeing as you want to take yer time and fish, would be to park down at the bridge.....

and you can catch slickrock trail right there, and either take the route i described, or just keep on going up slickrock trail till ya get bored......
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be up there in July. Plan on trying to stay as high as possible to avoid the heat. Would it be better to start out at the memorial and hoof up to the Bob? I'd like to do a week or so, depending on how things work out for the first leg of my trip (fam in Roanoke, VA.). Don't really care whether it's a loop as I prefer to just meander about and enjoy nature. Might wet a line, too.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Jun. 07 2013, 3:38 pm)

i would say the easiest place for ya, and seeing as you want to take yer time and fish, would be to park down at the bridge.....

and you can catch slickrock trail right there, and either take the route i described, or just keep on going up slickrock trail till ya get bored......

Thanks Kevin,
What bridge are you talking about?
What about going up slickrock creek trail then over to hangover lead and out as a loop? How may nights?
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the bridge is just below the cheoah dam along US 129...

here's a google map...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=....JYBELYD

slickrock trail starts just about where the symbol for 129 is at........
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be up there in July. Plan on trying to stay as high as possible to avoid the heat. Would it be better to start out at the memorial and hoof up to the Bob?

that would get you up on the bald and from there you could ride the ridgeline out to naked ground and hangover......

or, if you don't wanna do the hoof up stratton bald trail, you could cut distance down by going in at wolf laurel and then up to the bald........
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 4:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most backpackers coming from Chattanooga park at either Wolf Laurel entrance or Beech Gap on the Skyway.

--------------

Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Jun. 07 2013, 4:18 pm)
the bridge is just below the cheoah dam along US 129...

here's a google map...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=....JYBELYD

slickrock trail starts just about where the symbol for 129 is at........

Thanks
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jun. 07 2013, 4:45 pm)
Most backpackers coming from Chattanooga park at either Wolf Laurel entrance or Beech Gap on the Skyway.

What if I parked on the West side of Citico at the parking area near the Jeffrey(historical)? and hiked a trail to the BMT and made a long loop out of it.?  Maybe get on the BMT at Cherry Log Gap
go to go to Stiffknee Top over to Slickrock Creek campground back up slickrock creek trail to naked ground back to BMT and out to car via bruah mountain.

What do you think?
41 replies since Jun. 04 2013, 9:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply slickrock crk trail to naked ground
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions