2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Shuttle in Citico creek area, Almost any weekend< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 11:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Howdy....

Looking to see it anyone is going to be in the Citico creek area that could give me a ride from sorta near the warden station area up to eagle gap area....

Almost any weekend in the next few weeks will work for me and I can kick in gas money....

Thanks...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure of your route but you could leave your car in Warden's Fields and hike a loop over Flats Mt and a Skyway roadwalk to Grassy Gap (it's not far) and go down Grassy Branch to South Fork and downstream back to your car.  Or do it the other way around.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My route is easy-----just an end to end of flats mountain....

If I can't get a ride---then I'll consider that other route.....

But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone was going to be in that area as I have some time and other routes to do before I get around to flats mountain....
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you leave your car in Beehouse Gap (the low trailhead near Warden's Field) you could hump up to the top of Flats Mt where there are two open balds (the high one and the lower one) and camp in the woods by the highest one for a night and then backtrack the next day to your car.

These balds are near the Skyway-end of the trail anyway.  And there's a spring you cross going to the top of Flats so you can load up before you hit camp.  There's also a "secret" campsite when coming up from Beehouse Gap and you pull the switchbacks and then the Three Nasty Hills.  It's at the bottom of the last hill in a little hollow to the right about 100 yards.  See pic.

Here's the secret Flats Mt camp with water.

--------------

Post Number: 5
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you could stash a bike, hike up instead of down and coast down the skyway back to yer car.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Jun. 11 2013, 11:38 am)
you could stash a bike, hike up instead of down and coast down the skyway back to yer car.

That would be a long ride with some nasty uphills.  First you'd have to do the long Skyway ride from Flats Mt trailhead to the Indian Boundary turnoff.  And then ride the gravel road with a few hills to Beehouse Gap---all while wearing a pack.

--------------

Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

unless i stashed the pack somewheres......

but i doubt id do the bike thing.......

if i can get a ride---then i'll do it end to end......

if not-----i'll start at bottom and camp somewheres along the way....

tipi-----the three nasty hills that you talk about----how "nasty" are the switchbacks there?      i did naked ground trail going up a few weeks ago, so a comparison to those switchbacks would help......
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From Beehouse Gap (the lower end)---
**  The trail pulls three long, hot but easy switchbacks. The first bears to the right (right from the Gap).  The second turns to the left.  The third turns to the right.

**  You peak out at the end of the 3rd switchback on the big mountain's ridge overlooking Indian Boundary Lake with a final left turn.  This is a pretty spot if you can see the Lake.

**  After this you stay on the ridge spine which is hot and often brushy and clogged with weeds and sometimes briars.  

**  Eventually as you stay on this ridge you hit the Three Nasty Pitches---they are just little hills but on a hot summer day they are hellish.  The third I believe is the worst but they go fast and other than the brush this trail is nothing like the Naked Ground trail in steepness.

**  After these 3 noticeable hills you pull another small one and then drop steeply down to the hollow where my secret camp is---to the right thru the brush.  It's a bushwack.

Past this hollow camp the trail pulls 12 or 13 switchbacks with switchback #10 having a cross-over water source which should be flowing, esp if you scoot downhill to it.

Beyond this water the trail switchbacks a few more times and you pop out on top of the mighty Flats where there's a good campsite on top to the left.  Going too far and you're out in the open bald.

--------------

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

which is hot and often brushy and clogged with weeds and sometimes briars.  

This seemingly is the theme of Joyce Kilmer/Citico trails.....
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lookin to do this one this weekend if anyone can help me out with a ride..

Thanks....
9 replies since Jun. 10 2013, 11:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Shuttle in Citico creek area
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions