2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fishing/ car camping near Blue Ridge., Any ideas?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 1:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking for a place to car camp and fish next weekend with the kid. Anyone done this up there and have any advice?

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You mean on the Parkway? Check out Pisgah Inn Campground. You can then fish just north of the Parkway on 276 at the Big East Fork Parking area which is just a couple miles away. You can also drop down south on 276 and camp at Davidson River Campground and fish on the river there, or on Avery Creek. Near there, there are also a number of car camping sites along the river toward the fish hatchery that are free. And there are lots of fish near the hatchery. Almost so many you can walk on them, but they're stubborn.
 Post Number: 3
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I mean on the river. Thanks man. I will check those out.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 9:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Checked em out. I like em. Thanks again.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
JaxHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 7:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try Davidson River Campground in the Pisgah near Brevard.  Excellent fishing along the river, a really great waterslide area for kids (big and little) and a couple of very easy hikes to some wonderful waterfalls.  The Blue Ridge Parkway is just a short drive from there off 276.  Not sure how the campgrounds are - I live close, so I don't use those campgrounds - but they seem nice.
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

RanD, you want to fish or catch fish and have fun?

There are trout farms up there with stocked ponds and they're lots of fun.  There's  a catch(?) maybe.  You have to keep what you catch at between $5 and $10 a pound but they clean it and pack it in ice for you.

Fun and you eat good.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
Upstream Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you go to the Davidson, be aware that the river upstream of Avery Creek is only fly fishing and only catch and release; one of the reasons there are lots of big fish by the hatchery.  But down stream, heavily stocked and fair game; go figure.  Avery creek comes in right at the campground, so throw bait down there.  Davidson River Campground has showers, and Wal-Mart, etc., less that 10 minutes, so pluses and minuses (lots of outdoor stuff in the area too though).  Over the mountain, Sunburst campground is much smaller and more remote.

Were you looking for someplace close to Blue Ridge GA? Similar distance as to the D. would be Snowbird Ck. (west of Robbinsville NC) with primitive camping along the road & stream.  In GA, Cooper and Rock creeks are close to Blue Ridge, stocked, and popular with those with kids.  Maybe Deep Hole, too.  Not sure about facilities at all those.

Have fun.
 Post Number: 8
melikeethewild Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Davidson river free sites are hard to land in summer unless you come mid-week. Fun tubing and fishing. Reservation pay sites are a sure thing unless it's the 4th. If you're looking for free, mi. 419 on BRP, Black Balsam Rd., has some good camping with a little elevation,(5kish). Great night sky viewing, as well as splendid hiking ops. If you go there, look into Skinny Dip Falls off BRP, (around mi. 421 I think, at Looking Glass Rock overlook). Go left down the hill on the mtn. side of the rd. It's about a mile or so, but spectacular swimming, super cold, (I don't have kids yet, but unless they're super young, it's a special spot in the heat). Fish wont bite anything but flies on Pigeon River. Enjoy that cold water.
7 replies since Jun. 16 2013, 1:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fishing/ car camping near Blue Ridge.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions