2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Weather/Bugs in the Smokies, mid July< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
LuketheDrifter Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 3:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We will be doing a 5 day 4 night backpack in the Smokies in mid-July.  From Lakeshore Trail to Hazel Creek and back.  Does any one have any idea what sort of weather we can expect?  Bugs?  That sort of thing?  Thanks.
Luke

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weather?  Prepare for all of it.  Bugs?  Bet on all of them.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snow?

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
 Post Number: 4
Thatbakerkid Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No. But wind can be an issue. Sometimes hail.

--------------
No matter how beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results.
My Blog about travel, backpacking and the universe.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

likewise.........i would prepare for any kinda weather except snow or ice............

it's really too early to tell forecast----along with the mountains can generate their own weather (ie---it may be nice in town.....but rainy in the hollers..)

likewise for bugs....

i know from personal experience the last two weekends in joyce kilmer the bugs have been outta hand......

that is---until i get a fire going....
 Post Number: 6
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been out the last 2 weekends and the bugs are full-on-ugly right now. Probably be worse over by the lake and rivers.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also----this area has a ton of history to it...

Tons of side trails that lead to cemeteries and old home sites....

Also---while it's called lakeshore trail, for a vast majority of the time, you'll be in the woods and not along lake bank....the trail does dip down to the lake every now and then, mainly to the old road bed....which they still use for the cemetery visits....
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys.  Yes, it is too early to forecast, I am just looking for general patterns, more out of curiosity than anything.  Like does it tend to dry out toward the middle of the summer or does the rain really kick in.  We will try to be prepared for everything except extreme cold.
I know that in the Northeast, blackflies are more prevalent in the early summer whereas mosquitoes come out later on.  Does the same hold true down in that area?
It looks like from the trail description that we will be hiking through a tunnel.  That'll be cool.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

never dries out in the smokies... the drier periods are late September through October.

in my experience, 'squitos aren't so bad in the Smokies. but, as someone mentioned before, nearer to the lake could be a different story. biting flies can be an issue whether they're biting or getting stuck on your eyeball. i've found myself longing for a head net on smoky summer hikes.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It looks like from the trail description that we will be hiking through a tunnel.  That'll be cool

yeah..............that willl be right at the beginning and end of yer trip......it's just a few hundred yards from the parking lot at the end of the road to nowhere......

it can be an interesting walk through it....

it you dont like the dark and what not, there is a bypass trail (used by horses) that will take you around it.......
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info you all.  I bike commute so I welcome eyeball flies.  As for the tunnel.  I will hold my friends hands and wear a headlamp.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 10:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would any of you all know what quads I might need for a loop that goes from the Lakeshore trail to Cold spring gap and back?  The Smokey Mountain association isn't being the most knowledgeable here.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fontana and Tuskeegee and Noland Creek, and a little bit of Thunderhead, i think

ETA: it just occured to me that you're gonna be coming from Lakeview Drive rather than the dam... so you won't need the Fontana quad

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh hey, you probably already looked into this, but don't forget to get your permits asap. both CS 90 and 86 see a ton of traffic in the summer time from the boat crowd.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

heck.........

i wouldnt pick up the quads.......

unless yer doing off trail hiking, either the dollar map, or the NGS map will suit yer purposes....
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah.  We have our permits.  5 days, 4 nights.  I haven't been backpacking in like 5 years so I am somewhat apprehensive but looking forward to it.  
I will just be getting the Nat Geo map.  I finally talked to someone at the Smokey Mountain Association and he said that is the only map you need for backpacking in the Smokies.  The only reason you would need quads is for bushwacking and he strongly discouraged bushwacking.  So he gave the same advice as Kevin.  I appreciate the input y'all.  Thanks.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just a reminder that all the shelters have sound systems that play Chicago as background music   :p

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

ERG! :D

--------------
17 replies since Jun. 18 2013, 3:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Weather/Bugs in the Smokies
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions