2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Car camping suggestion in/around Smokies< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hammco Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 4:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi folks,

I'm fortunate to have a last-minute opportunity to head to NC/TN for a few days in early July. I've hiked around a bit, actually got engaged on the fire tower at Mt Sterling a couple years ago. Did the 16ish mile loop and popped the question on the look-out, killer day and she agreed! We camped at Big Creek and loved it.

Anyways, I have business in Nashville and figured to cut over to the general area with my now wife to relax, dayhike and swim. We won't be able to tote a ton of gear. Prefer as backcountry as we can get with a car. Don't mind more quiet campgrounds. Basically just want a nice basecamp to relax at but also take off for hikes, swims, etc. Pretty, secluded, that sort of thing. I'm from PA, so unfamiliar with the area. So many options when Googling.

I was considering North River in Cherokee. Maybe Jake's Best? Citico? Not really stuck on any place in particular. Even a revisit to Big Creek would be ok.

Thanks in advance for all tips.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

one suggestion about citico car camping.....

for the most part---the main road going along citico creek has been really busy with car camping the last few weekends...

if you want more secluded----take a left at the road in doublecamp and start heading up to the farr gap area...

along the way going there---you have a little more privacy than the sites down along the main road......

fwiw.....you could also do a really short hike in to a fairly decent campsite along south fork citico creek...

park at the trail head for south fork and within an easy half mile hike in, there's two sites next to each other that are pretty decent.....

you'll be near the creek---and across the creek you'll see the extension part of campsite 13 along the road....

oh........and where ya from in PA?
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks!

I'm in Philadelphia.

We'll be getting into the area Sunday afternoon and then leaving Thursday or Friday. Hopefully things will be slightly less jammed. I imagine summer is nuts.
 Post Number: 4
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ahhhhhhhh.......seen many a grateful dead show along with some phish and even some Steve Kimock shows in Philadelphia.....I did live in Pennsylvania years ago up in Erie.....great summers but winter sucked..

I would say that the Citico creek area is a little less crowded on weekdays than weekends but I would still suggest taking the left at doublecamp and heading up that road for a more woodsy site.....

There are some nice sites (at least for car camping) in the area of mill branch and crowder branch trailheads......
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 7:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nashville isn't all that close to the Smokies. Something 225-250 miles.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't mind the drive! We've been itching to get back down there. Much closer than doing the drive from Philly. Added bonus that my work covers my flight.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Citico area it is! Looking forward to exploring. Any hike suggestions? I have a 12 mile loop around the Slickrock mapped that will take my through Wildcat Falls for a swim. Any nice balds in the area?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any loop/dayhike suggestions to check out the Hangover/Bob Bald would be great. Is that even a reality?
 Post Number: 9
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

if you wanna hit up both in the same hike... it's a relatively easy hike between the two, but makin a loop out of it would be a long, long dayhike. but not too bad if you're willing to out-and-back it. Wolf Laurel would probably be the easiest place to start but you could do it from Beech Gap or Big Fat Gap, too.

great hike, by the way... the stretch between the Bob and the Hangover is some of the best ridge hiking in the south that i  know of.

North Fork of Citico is a pretty creek hike. it is easy to loose the trail, but it never strays from the creek for long. if you loose it then you probably missed a crossing. Whigg Meadow is just a short hike off the Skyway.

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
8 replies since Jun. 20 2013, 4:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Car camping suggestion in/around Smokies
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions