2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bearing Sad News< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TNsmith Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 12:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am Bryon's wife posting to let you know that Bryon passed away a week ago today at the age of 45.  I had noticed some out of character behavior for a few weeks at the end of April, and on May 10, I took him to the ER at Vanderbilt.  We were dismissed on May 14, pending test results.  At this point, he was barely able to talk, he was still mobile, but was steadily losing balance and his walking abilities.  The Dr. called on May 22 with the diagnosis of Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease (CJD), which is an aggressive degenerative brain disease.  He quickly lost his ability to speak, walk, and even to feed himself.  On Thursday, June 14, a hospital bed was delivered to our home.  He was out of it once each the following two days (with lots of help), then no more after that.  My sweet man of almost 24 years passed away on the 22th, here at the house.  The kids (16 and 10) and I will miss him sorely.  My only consolation is that he did not have to be in this situation for a prolonged time and did not seem to be in any pain during these weeks and when he left us last week.  If you think about it, please keep us in your prayers in the following weeks and the reality of it all starts to sink in hard.

Dana, Kristin and Luke Smith
danasmith1968@gmail.com

--------------
Check out my Pics
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Very sorry. Condolences to all.
 Post Number: 3
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm so very sorry. Y'all will certainly be in our prayers.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm posting under his screen name, TNsmith.

Dana

--------------
Check out my Pics
 Post Number: 5
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thoughts and prayers to you! Please know the collective group here mourns with you!

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 6
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dana I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot even imagine what you have been through.  Thank you for taking time to share this heartbreaking news. I am saddened by it. I am grateful to know he is at peace now.

--------------
"My progress was rendered delightful by the sylvan elegance of the groves, chearful meadows, and high distant forests, which in grand order presented themselves to view."~~William Bartram
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In my prayers.  Your strength is a beacon.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 8
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So very sorry for your loss.  I think I can speak for everyone in saying our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 9
2PawsRiver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 12:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While I personally did not know your husband, it is obvious from the posts and pictures over the years that he loved the outdoors and he loved his family.

There is nothing I can say except that I am praying for you and your family.  Not only for strength through this very hard time, but also though Bryon was taken from his family far too early, that he had enough time to pass on his strengths and values and that you and your children are able to find comfort in fond memories of him.

--------------
www.MarkandSharonLundin.com
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 7:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bryon usually climbed Mt. LeConte at least once, if not twice, each year. Our daughter has been with him twice I believe. They and one of Kristin's friends went at the end of  last October when the snow hit. They loved it. Me....not so much. I was a nervous wreck and I was at home!   ;-) Kristin has already stated that she wants to go back every year and climb. Gonna be hard for this Mom with bone spurs in a big toe and plantar fascitis in the feet, but I'll do my best for her and her daddy's memory.  Not to mention I don't care for steep drop offs.....

--------------
Check out my Pics
 Post Number: 11
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've read this thread about 5 times and have been unable to come up with a suitable response.

While I'm neither a resident of the southern US, nor acquainted with you husband, I'm sad to hear the news.

Nonetheless, I will pray.  My guess is that those of you who can accomplish it will find some small closure on Mt. LeConte, whenever you may some small closure.

Bless you and your family.
 Post Number: 12
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So very sorry for your loss.  You and your kids will be in my thoughts and prayers.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you all for your kind comments.  We do appreciate it. I return to work tomorrow and I dread coming home.  It will be the first 'normal' day back but when I come home, the harsh reality will be there to greet me once again.

Dana

--------------
Check out my Pics
 Post Number: 14
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dana,  I'll admit my biggest fear in life is loosing my wife.  We're both still somewhat healthy, but still I dread the day she goes, should she go before me.

I know how alone you must be feeling, and hope you'll keep posting.....as long as you need someone to listen, I'll be here....

May god find a way to comfort you......

Job, 14

14 Man that is born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble.

2 He cometh forth like a flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not.

3 And doth thou open thine eyes upon such an one, and bringest me into judgment with thee?

4 Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one.

5 Seeing his days are determined, the number of his months are with thee, thou hast appointed his bounds that he cannot pass;

6 Turn from him, that he may rest, till he shall accomplish, as an hireling, his day.

7 For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.

8 Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground;

9 Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.

10 But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he?

11 As the waters fail from the sea, and the flood decayeth and drieth up:

12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.

13 O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!

14 If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.

15 Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee: thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands.

16 For now thou numberest my steps: dost thou not watch over my sin?

17 My transgression is sealed up in a bag, and thou sewest up mine iniquity.

18 And surely the mountains falling cometh to nought, and the rock is removed out of his place.

19 The waters wear the stones: thou washest away the things which grow out of the dust of the earth; and thou destroyest the hope of man.

20 Thou prevailest for ever against him, and he passeth: thou changest his countenance, and sendest him away.

21 His sons come to honour, and he knoweth it not; and they are brought low, but he perceiveth it not of them.

22 But his flesh upon him shall have pain, and his soul within him shall mourn.

Sorry.....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 15
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dana, so sorry to hear this. You have my condolences and prayers. I'll pray for you and your family.
 Post Number: 16
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am so sorry for your family's loss.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 17
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very sorry.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 18
ethanr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am very sorry for you loss, and all of you will be in our prayers.
 Post Number: 19
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be thinking and praying for you.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 20
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm very sorry for your family. I always enjoyed TRs from TNsmith.
 Post Number: 21
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My condolences on your loss.

Respectfully,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 22
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am so sorry for your loss.  May God comfort you as you grieve.
 Post Number: 23
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dana -
Your news breaks my heart for you. Prayers for you and your kids. May you and the kids find some peace and solace. Stay here on the forums, as this is your family too.

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
22 replies since Jun. 29 2013, 12:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bearing Sad News
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions