2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Tuttle Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 10:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Few questions: Doable in 2 days, 1 night?  Obviously NF to DG is ideal, but is going southward a horrible idea?  And TriCorner good shelter to stay in?  Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 1:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the park, shelters are shelters.  If you like them, then you will like Tricorner.  In the past, ive spent nights there all alone, and ive spent nights there with 50plus thru hikers.  Its in a nice section along the AT though.  Of all the shelters, I do like that one quite a bit.

Nothing wrong with taking 2 days to get to Davenport Gap Shelter.  Shouldn't be a problem

But I roam the western rockies now a days, im sure someone else local who is a regular can update you more

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 3
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done this hike North Bound 3 times and it's spectacular!

I've always done it as a 3 nighter staying at Icewater, Tricorner and Cosby Shelters. Next time I do it I may throw in Pecks and make it a 4 nighter.

I supposed you could do it as a 2 day 1 night hike.
Going NB it's not really that hard of a hike.
Going SB you'd start off with a pretty good grunt coming out of Davenport Gap.

I've always heard it's not safe to park at Davenport Gap so park at the Big Creek Ranger Station and use the Chesnut Branch trail as a connecter to the AT.
 Post Number: 4
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 10:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i think it's a bad idea but i aint hikin with ya =)

the only sustained climb would be SOBO out of DG.... 5 miles of uphill (3000ft). for me that plus another 12 miles is a deal breaker.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks.  Been to Charlies Bunion a few times.  It and the Boulevard Trail are some of my favorite hikes, so we were hoping this would be similar.  Planning on using Standing Bear for shuttle and parking.  Any experience with them?
 Post Number: 6
chief1 Search for posts by this member.
Labeck

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 8:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have done this section 5 times and one of the 2 day trips, I actually exited at Cosby instead of davenport gap. I suggest for you to not rush this section.  Great part of the A.T. I would recommend 1st Night at pecks corner and second night at Cosby shelter  if your are limited on time? if you can spare more I would say add another day. As to parking I would say no to davenport gap and exit off the A.T on chestnut branch, leave your vehicle at the parking area near the ranger station at Big Creek. Much safer place.

--------------
The Best thing to do behind a Friends back is to Pat it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree....bypass icewater and stay at pecks.  If you break it into three nights stay at tricorner your 2nd night.  Thats a beautiful hike so take your time.
 Post Number: 8
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 2:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

agreed with everything chief says......

and yes, don't leave a car at davenport gap......leave it at rangers station......it's a short hike from the gap to the rangers station but parking security is much better......

the gap is notorious for break ins.....
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What about leaving a car at Standing Bear Hostel?
 Post Number: 10
gollwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yes go with standing bear farms.   your hiking 40 mi in two days I think it is a tough hike but whatever. you might wish to see the jump off and Mt cammerer while you are there but they are both sife trails so you may not have the time. too bad they are quite nice.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It'd be a shame to skip Cammerer

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 12
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 12:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Jul. 21 2013, 9:12 pm)

Indeed! The Jump Off is worth the trip too.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 7:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The point is on a clear day both are worth the side trip.
 Post Number: 14
Ewker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Jul. 21 2013, 9:12 pm)

yeah that is worth the short hike to get to it
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Love the JumpOff, been there a couple times.  Charlies Bunion is the farthest I've been on AT.  Thanks for the info.  Now we just gotta hope the weather cooperates.  I guess water will be easy to find right now?
 Post Number: 16
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We are almost 2 feet ahead on rain this year so water shouldn't be a problem (it normally is this time of year). You can call the backcountry office to get current information though.
 Post Number: 17
backpackbman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Kayman @ Jul. 18 2013, 10:12 am)
I've done this hike North Bound 3 times and it's spectacular!

I've always done it as a 3 nighter staying at Icewater, Tricorner and Cosby Shelters. Next time I do it I may throw in Pecks and make it a 4 nighter.

I supposed you could do it as a 2 day 1 night hike.
Going NB it's not really that hard of a hike.
Going SB you'd start off with a pretty good grunt coming out of Davenport Gap.

I've always heard it's not safe to park at Davenport Gap so park at the Big Creek Ranger Station and use the Chesnut Branch trail as a connecter to the AT.

Kayman, what are the issues behind not wanting to park at the Gap?

Can the stops you pointed out in your post be included in a 4 day/3night loop?  Or do you have other suggestions.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(backpackbman @ Jul. 31 2013, 1:19 pm)

theft/vandalism

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

see post 6 and post 8..........
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're heading out Thursday night, hopefully weather will cooperate.  Is the water at TriCorner shelter a reliable source?  Filtered of course.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You should have no issues.  Have a good trip and let us know how it goes.
 Post Number: 22
Labeck

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2013, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

there is a pipe right next to the shelter, I have always found it flowing, so, you should not have a problem there. about the only place you wil find water on that section of the A.T is near all the shelters.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2013, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Jul. 31 2013, 3:58 pm)

(backpackbman @ Jul. 31 2013, 1:19 pm)

theft/vandalism

The parking area at Davenport Gap has been blocked off for several years now, so parking there isn't an option anyway.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

has it been blocked off?

i seem to recall when i was there in the wintertime, one could still fit a car in that pull off...........
 Post Number: 25
Labeck

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

it was a small pull-off, I will always opt for gravel parking lot with a Kiosk.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very small. I parked there waiting for a friend year before last, but I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving it there as I couldn't get my Ranger completely out of the road.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2013, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Question for you people that live close to the Smokies. Weather is looking pretty bad for this weekend. I'm worried about lightning too. Should we cancel or go for it?
 Post Number: 28
Labeck

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

it aways rains in the smokies, I have set out many times in the pouring down rain, then it would clear to a beautiful day. and it has always rained while out on the trail, if I did not go because of the possibility of rain I would have missed out on some great trips, so I say go for it .

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah.....likewise........i say go for it....

while lightning is always an issue, it's really not that big of deal in the smokies....

as in, just use your head about it and what not..

there are only a few places where one is truly exposed---most times you'll be near/under trees...

its not like out west where its more of a threat....
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2013, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks. I always expect showers but the thunderstorm advisories were making me nervous.
35 replies since Jul. 17 2013, 10:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions