2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Alabama Pinhoti, Trail conditions, etc.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
schlanky Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2013, 8:35 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With the forum at alatrails now dead and Lee's old site no longer taking new members, I thought I'd start a thread here for the Alabama Pinhoti for folks to post trail conditions & other info.
===

This past weekend, I walked a bit of Section 13 from Jackson Chapel Road in Georgia over past the state line into Alabama to the top of Flagpole Mtn.

This trip was by far the best condition I've ever seen this stretch. There are only a couple of easy blowdowns. Trail is marked with the blue paint blazes.

I saw two deer on the trail and three on the road to the TH (one was a spotted fawn). There were LOTS of spiders.

With an unusually rainy summer, there was enough water to filter from the stream at the trail shelter on Aug 3. The shelter is clean & in good shape. A while before getting to the shelter, I crossed another small stream with more water in it.

There is a visible white diamond Pinhoti marker on a tree at the parking area, so it's a lot easier to spot the parking area (room for one car) than it was in the past.

schlanky

--------------
On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Mountain Dog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2013, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

White Blaze http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum....um.php?  created a separate link for people wanting to discuss the Pinhoti.  Many Pinhoti people migrated there.

--------------
If you faint in the face of adversity then your strength is indeed small.
 Post Number: 3
GunnyWebb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2013, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a shame about Alatrails. A buddy offered to buy the old site and got nothing more than a smart remark for an answer.
Alatrails made the Pinhoti go from obscure to a regular hiking destination.
The Google page, or what ever they call it is annoying to me. I'm 50 years old and enjoyed the older board type media. It's what I knew and understood, as I ran a saltwater fish board for 8 years.
Best of luck to them. I'm very happy to see other board lending a hand to those stranded by Alatrail's demise. Another area suffering from the loss is the Sipsey Wilderness area. Any boards have a specific forum for the Sipsey?

Did the closed section of the Skyway Loop reopen? We did that trip twice last year. Great trail.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info, Mountain Dog & GunnyWebb.

I haven't spend much time on whiteblaze, but I see a lot of familiar names there. I hate to see Blister Bob shut down the shuttle service.

How have you been, Mountain Dog? Been walking much? The last few years, I've hiked mostly out of state, but I think I may have just started another Pinhoti section hike. It's been 4-6 years since I've seen some parts of the Pinhoti. It was nice to get back on it last weekend.

--------------
On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
 Post Number: 5
chief1 Search for posts by this member.
Labeck

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2013, 7:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love the pinhoti, I discovered it back in the early 80's and have hiked it many  times, its a real quick trip for me to do some weekenders from florida. I just did a loop back in Feb of this year and still plan on returning for future hikes. thanks for keeping it alive.

--------------
The Best thing to do behind a Friends back is to Pat it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2013, 8:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GunnyWebb @ Aug. 07 2013, 9:37 pm)
Did the closed section of the Skyway Loop reopen? We did that trip twice last year. Great trail.

What is/was closed?
I would have dayhiked that loop yesterday if it hadn't been for an overtime shift, and plan to do it soon between trips back up to TN.
 Post Number: 7
Mountain Dog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2013, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SCHLANKY,  I've been hiking in other areas for the last couple of years.  I've done the Foothills, Bartram, Chatooga River, and about half the BMT.  I did all the Pinhoti several times and really needed a change of scenery.  The Pinhoti is still the best, although I did really like the Bartram.  I'll get back to the Pinhoti this fall because it is much more convenient and gas is really high.

--------------
If you faint in the face of adversity then your strength is indeed small.
 Post Number: 8
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2013, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Aug. 08 2013, 7:40 am)

(GunnyWebb @ Aug. 07 2013, 9:37 pm)

What is/was closed?
I would have dayhiked that loop yesterday if it hadn't been for an overtime shift, and plan to do it soon between trips back up to TN.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail...._002555

I think it's just Lake Chinnabee that's closed. Not much detail.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2013, 3:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mountain Dog @ Aug. 08 2013, 11:18 am)
I did all the Pinhoti several times and really needed a change of scenery.  

That's kinda what happened with me. From 2001-2008, I section hiked the Pinhoti three times and needed a change.

Looks like you've walked a lot more than I have in the past few years. I've spent most  of my time in middle Tennessee. I've done a couple of winter trips to Florida (St Joe Peninsula & Torreya & St George Island). I still have the Juniper Creek/Blackwater section of Florida Trail on the radar--I think you & chief gave me the info on that one a year or so ago. Also would love to make it down to Ocala to do a trip I had to bail on last year when the forecast changed at the last minute.

With the mild summer, I'm trying to get some miles in & figured a revisit of the Pinhoti would be a great place for it.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 8:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Googled the Chinnabee thing:
(Montgomery, AL) May 22, 2013---- The U.S. Forest Service has issued a closure order for Lake Chinnabee Recreation Area in the Talladega National Forest, Talladega District to assess damages after heavy rain flooded the area on May 18.  According to acting Forest Supervisor Eddie Taylor, safety concerns for forest visitors prompted the Forest Service to temporarily close Lake Chinnabee’s campground and day use facilities, Forest Service Road 646 that provides access to the area and Lake Shore, Silent and Skyway Trails until September 30, 2013.

“The safety of our forest visitors is always a priority,” said Gloria Nielsen, district ranger for Talladega National Forest – Talladega District.  “We’re asking the public to be patient as we clear the area, evaluate resource damage and conduct repairs,” said Nielsen.  Visitors can enjoy other Forest Service camping sites and trails throughout the Talladega, Bankhead, Conecuh and Tuskegee National Forests. Cheaha State Park is also in close proximity to Lake Chinnabee Recreation Area.  

When visiting a forest, always be alert for heavy rains and sudden changes in the weather, especially at night.  Weather events, such as flash floods can occur with little or no warning. Many occur after dark when it is difficult to assess the severity of the conditions.

I'd be fine with it if they permanently closed the road to the lake, and only people hiking from the highway could get there. Then I wouldn't be bagging up bottles, dirty diapers, and crap like that every time I go there spring through fall.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for posting that, Owens571. The timing of the closure matches up with Reboot's "Crazy Night" thread over on whiteblaze.

====

Yep--that place does get trashed--particularly the Silent Trail from the lake up to Devil's Den area. It's a shame that such a beautiful area gets treated so poorly.

====
I've enjoyed all your trip reports & photos this year, Owens. And I'm definitely envious of the number of trips you've gotten in.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got back out yesterday and day hiked from Salem Church Road going back trail north to the campsite at the top of Flagpole Mtn. This section is in great condition. Along the way, I saw a deer, a raccoon and watched a turkey take flight. This section used to be pretty hard to navigate, but the maintainers have really done a fantastic job.  This was my best day hike of the year so far. I'd forgotten how beautiful this stretch of trail is-- nice climbs and  rocky ridges with some overlooks.

There's not a good place to park at this road crossing. I parked at Salem Baptist Church about .7 miles down the road from the trail crossing.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Bateauxdriver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2013, 12:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guys I'll be ready to get in some Pinhoti time as soon at it gets cold.  It snowed my last trip up in January 2013.  Ive been section hiking north for two years when time avails. My next trip up will take me into GA.  Would love company.
 Post Number: 14
TheBeef Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 12:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm considering going to Pinhoti as a pacer for the race in November. It's probable that my wife will kill me when I get back, so that's a consideration now too.
13 replies since Aug. 07 2013, 8:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Alabama Pinhoti
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions