2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ditmanson  retiring< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 10:40 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.knoxnews.com/news....irement

Maybe the new supt will entertain the idea of repealing the fee?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ewker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

unless you subscribe you can't read the article
 Post Number: 3
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe the new supt will entertain the idea of repealing the fee?

doubt it......
 Post Number: 4
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ewker @ Sep. 12 2013, 9:11 am)
unless you subscribe you can't read the article

Here's a freebie :

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parknews/ditmanson-retire.htm

and agree with kev, it ain't going anywhere. I'd be curious as to whether BC user numbers have dropped as a result of the fees.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd be curious as to whether BC user numbers have dropped as a result of the fees.

from what i've heard----no......
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, they dropped by at least three because fam and I stayed away.  :tapdance:
 Post Number: 7
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep. He ain't going to repeal it.  However, I would have to think numbers have dropped, maybe not much.  Oddly enough I've been in two campsites that the reservation system said we're full and I was the only one there.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2013, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hiker01 @ Sep. 12 2013, 9:17 pm)
 Oddly enough I've been in two campsites that the reservation system said we're full and I was the only one there.

I don't think it's odd and it's one of the flaws of this fee system. People will make reservations because they can afford to, not because they are going. Meanwhile, those who are going get told, "it's full".
 Post Number: 9
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 8:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few weeks ago a buddy and I did Laurel Gap. The website said there was 1 other person there. There ended up being 3 others and none of them were the "1 other"
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think it's odd and it's one of the flaws of this fee system. People will make reservations because they can afford to, not because they are going. Meanwhile, those who are going get told, "it's full".

But you can't blame this on the new system as it also happened under the old system.....
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just odd that people are paying four bucks and not showing up.  Apparently it's happening a lot.  Just read a TR on hammock forums and the guy said there was suppose to be ten at 34 and he ended up being alone.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Sep. 14 2013, 12:48 pm)

But you can't blame this on the new system as it also happened under the old system.....

Yep. However, it was just at the reserved sites and I tried to stay away from those specifically because of the lack of reservation control. Now it's at all of them, no thanks!
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep. However, it was just at the reserved sites and I tried to stay away from those specifically because of the lack of reservation control. Now it's at all of them, no thanks!

lack of reservation control and then you complain that they put in a reservation system?

hmmm.....
 Post Number: 14
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hiker01 @ Sep. 14 2013, 8:26 pm)
Just read a TR on hammock forums and the guy said there was suppose to be ten at 34 and he ended up being alone.

Personally, I prefer this situation.

A few years back I showed up at Silers Bald shelter with reservations for 3 people and it was overflowing when we arrived. No one would 'fess up'.

We ended up stealth camping on the bald.
 Post Number: 15
magicmomma Search for posts by this member.
Wildest Flower in Tennessee

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have never done it nor did it ever occur to me to do it... but I recently learned under the OLD way of doing things... that people would game the system.  They would call and book multiple reservations for sites to ensure they'd have the place to themselves.  Or to themselves meaning their own little group of chronies.  I also learned that some of the biggest complainers of the current system were some of the offenders doing just that.  I still dont like the fee system as it is now and I see problems with it, but I also was unaware of some of the B.S. behavior under the OLD system of use.  I will say that I hate that and find it just as disagreeable.

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I also learned that some of the biggest complainers of the current system were some of the offenders doing just that.

and therein lies the irony in it......
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Kayman @ Sep. 17 2013, 9:23 am)

(Hiker01 @ Sep. 14 2013, 8:26 pm)
Just read a TR on hammock forums and the guy said there was suppose to be ten at 34 and he ended up being alone.

Personally, I prefer this situation.

Me too.  I'm just not buying the fact that all these people are spending 4.00 and not showing up.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(magicmomma @ Sep. 17 2013, 9:42 am)
I have never done it nor did it ever occur to me to do it... but I recently learned under the OLD way of doing things... that people would game the system.  They would call and book multiple reservations for sites to ensure they'd have the place to themselves.  Or to themselves meaning their own little group of chronies.  I also learned that some of the biggest complainers of the current system were some of the offenders doing just that.  I still dont like the fee system as it is now and I see problems with it, but I also was unaware of some of the B.S. behavior under the OLD system of use.  I will say that I hate that and find it just as disagreeable.

Agreed!  Should never happen.  I've always followed the rules in the park and will continue to do so, even though I don't like the implementing of this whole thing.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the funniest things and most unexplained to me.... regarding rules in the park....
I had a dog. RIP Obey... he is passed on to Dog Heaven now.

I took him to the park boundary to see pink lady slippers and to take a brief walk in different territory. He liked the ride in the jeep and the new scenery. I had him leashed and had no intention of taking him into the Park.  I walked down the trail to photograph an old barn near the boundary.  Some hikers come up Gold Mine Gap Trail and saw me with the dog.  OUTSIDE the park.
Never crossed the line. Never got closer than 25 ft from the line.
Anyway they ducked down and hid.  I could see them. But they were acting idiotic and skittish so I just went on doing my thing.

I walked around Steffner Circle and around photographing pink lady slippers.
Here comes a ranger whipping in behind me.

He walks down the trail. Comes back. Sits in his vehicle. I wave at him and keep letting the dog walk around the road leashed. He leaves in about 3 or 4 minutes.

I think these folks were trying to get me in trouble for taking the dog into the park.

The problem was.. I did not do it and it back fired on them.
They almost had to be locals because there was no vehicle parked nearby.
Either that or they came in from another trail/another direction.

The ranger and I just waved and smiled and I went back home having accomplished exactly what I set out to do.

It was all very odd.

I have bitched so much about folks that take dogs into the park .. on trails where they are not allowed there was no way in Hell I'd turn around and become one of those folks!

--------------
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."~~Isaiah 53:5
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 9:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts  EDIT QUOTE
I also learned that some of the biggest complainers of the current system were some of the offenders doing just that.

and therein lies the irony in it......

They are unaware that I know of this.  I have no proof except for my word and that of a few others.  It is irrelevant now since it is water under the bridge, but it matters a great deal to me.  I do not like aligning myself with a bunch of folks with shady dealings who have the balls to act like crusaders for truth.   Truth? whose truth? :-/

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do not like aligning myself with a bunch of folks with shady dealings who have the balls to act like crusaders for

too many people have drank their kool aid though.......
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hahaha! All Hail Rev. Jim Jones.. ..

speaking of irony.. you know Rev. Jim Jones did not even believe in God?!

See the similarities? See what I did there? :-)

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I prefer the Kool aid that the Merry Pranksters served up....
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Sep. 16 2013, 3:49 pm)

lack of reservation control and then you complain that they put in a reservation system?

hmmm.....

Sorry if my terminology confused. I'm talking about enforcement of reservations. As others have posted and I have heard, people are just showing up at sites, just like they did under the old system.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am seeing results based on the Western Slope No Fee Coalition in repealing these tariffs and some of the restrictions placed. That is what keeps me hopeful.
If whatever federal lawyer is watchful.......... they'll find plenty of evidence to defend against the current law suit I'm afraid.  

Esp. when people put the evidence right out there for anyone to see.
Any lawyer computer savvy enough to do a Print Screen would have an advantage.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If whatever federal lawyer is watchful.......... they'll find plenty of evidence to defend against the current law suit I'm afraid.

the NPS and their lawyers did their research and all that long before the fee system took place.......

and im not talking about the violations of the rules that are openly displayed on various websites......
25 replies since Sep. 11 2013, 10:40 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ditmanson  retiring
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions