2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: GSMNP 3 Days 2 Nights....Your Thoughts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 12:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking at a backpacking trip for mid Oct. and wanted to get the collected masses thoughts on it. My goal is open views and waterfalls if possible. I'd like ridgelines with as much open space as possible. This will be our first time in GSMNP.

Big Creek>#37>Swallow Fork Trail>Mount Sterling Ridge Trail>#38>Baxter Creek Trail Out To TH

Any other options or suggestions for a 3 day 2 night trip with views and falls would be greatly appreciated.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

there's some fabulous ridgeline hiking in the Smokies but wide open views are few and far between in the southeast.

this is a great hike, but the only big view you'll have is from the firetower on Mt. Sterling. most of Sterling Ridge is thick spruce-fir forest. Big Creek has some wonderful cascades. consider going up Gunter Fork instead of Swallow Fork for more falls. though, Gunter does have several stream fords to contend with.

your best routes for wide open views are gonna be up on the AT --especially between Charlies Bunion and Tricorner-- or Mt Leconte.

you'd better make a decision and get your campsites reserved asap... October's a busy month for the park and reservations are already open (up to 30 days prior to your start date)

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 3
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

that is a great loop though....

but ashe is right......the only views you'll really get are up at the firetower...

and those two campsites are very popular ones, so more than likely, you'll have company....

the first day is kinda easy......not too much elevation gain as you go up the creek (where you'll see some waterfalls and such)....

the biggest gain of elevation will be going up swallow fork and then when you turn right towards the fire tower...

baxter creek will be all downhill.....

for campsite 38, make sure you bring a water collection device as the spring is a touch downhill on baxter creek and you'll really only wanna make one run to the spring....
 Post Number: 4
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

liv4mtns, aren't you a Rocky Mountain guy?  So am I.  But I grew up on the east coast, and all my early backpacking was in the Smokies.  

The 2 posts above me are dead on.  The only open views I know of are along the Appalachian Trail, from the NE corner down to the road.  Awesome route. Tri Corner down thru Pecks and Bunyons and Icewater is the way to go.

The loop your thinking about ive done.  Classic Smokies!  But mostly woods, which is how it is out there.  Beautiful.  And yes, the water source from the fire tower is a good hike downhill.

Really, the whole park is worth exploring.  Get out to Cades Cove if you can.  Do a backpacking loop around it.  Gregories Bald, Abrams Creek, Turkey Ridge, some really nice classic southern woods.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys. I think for the time being we'll just take a 4 day trip to GSMNP and do some car camping and do some day hikes just to get a feel for the Park. A little recon goes a long way.

@RobinHood...."still" am a Rocky Mountain guy. Lived in Bozeman for almost 9 years, been back east for 2 now. Really miss the Rockies, but it will always be "home" for me. I checked out your FB page. You've done some nice trips. I had actually planned to do the Thorofare coming in from Turpin Meadws, and base camping at Brooks Lake for 14 days. Both summers I had it planned, we had the largest snow year on record the previous winters. I'll get back there eventually.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

just a heads up-----the Park is currently closed....

and not sure when it will be back open....
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah I was aware of that Kevin. We're not planning on going till the third weekend of October. Hopefully by then the bozos in Washington will get their act together.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

Post Number: 8
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Oct. 02 2013, 5:02 pm)

With that in mind...I don't see them closing off the parking area's like Newfound Gap right on the public road 441...will they???
 Post Number: 9
Ewker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HikerDude73 @ Oct. 03 2013, 8:41 am)

(kevinumberger @ Oct. 02 2013, 5:02 pm)

With that in mind...I don't see them closing off the parking area's like Newfound Gap right on the public road 441...will they???

yes it will be closed. this was in the knoxville news about AT sobos

This is the time of year when many southbound thru-hikers along the Appalachian Trail pass through the Smokies. During the government shutdown, those thru-hikers can complete the 70 miles of the A.T. through the park at their own pace, but they have to remain on the trail and not leave to resupply in Gatlinburg as many typically do.  :angry:
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you heard that on KnoxNewsSentinel, Ewker?  i heard that the NPS was closing all trails. though, it's hard to get info with the websites down. i also heard that Gatlinburg police has been ticketing locals hiking in from town on the Gatlinburg Trail. i've heard from several sources that all of the parking areas are blocked off along NFG road.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 11
HikerDude73 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good Lord...what a cluster phuck!!! Bunch of nonsense.
 Post Number: 12
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

441 and all pull offs are open.  However, I'm not sure i would leave a car there.
 Post Number: 13
appalhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thats what I was inquiring to kevinumberger about the trailheads and parking lots. They don't have gates for the trails obviously but just wondering how they'll control it. To have the park websites down is just to stick a thorn in our sides. Thanks Hiker01
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Oct. 03 2013, 10:00 am)
you heard that on KnoxNewsSentinel, Ewker?  i heard that the NPS was closing all trails. though, it's hard to get info with the websites down. i also heard that Gatlinburg police has been ticketing locals hiking in from town on the Gatlinburg Trail. i've heard from several sources that all of the parking areas are blocked off along NFG road.

I got it from this link

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/oct/01/impasse-continues/
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

...just read it. it's interesting that they don't attribute that statement to anyone... great piece of journalism, KnoxNews!

Kevin, what's the scoop, man?  is the NPS making any definitive statements, here? are the trails closed? is it a ticketable offense? surely they can't leave the trails open for thru-hikers and no one else.

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

from the article: During the government shutdown, those thru-hikers can complete the 70 miles of the A.T. through the park at their own pace, but they have to remain on the trail and not leave to resupply in Gatlinburg as many typically do.

how absurd is this statement?  it's ok if they walk the supposedly closed trails, but they're not allowed to walk a state highway into town??

--------------
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Oct. 04 2013, 11:45 am)
from the article: During the government shutdown, those thru-hikers can complete the 70 miles of the A.T. through the park at their own pace, but they have to remain on the trail and not leave to resupply in Gatlinburg as many typically do.

how absurd is this statement?  it's ok if they walk the supposedly closed trails, but they're not allowed to walk a state highway into town??

that was my thought also. I guess there is a ranger stationed there to keep people from pulling in so see the view or pickup a hitchhiker.  So if an thru-hiker decided to go into town to resupply then they would stop him from getting back on the trail
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kevin, what's the scoop, man?  is the NPS making any definitive statements, here? are the trails closed? is it a ticketable offense? surely they can't leave the trails open for thru-hikers and no one else.

it would be a ticketable offense.....

after all, its consider trespassing if the park is closed...

as for what i know----ive been pretty much outta the loop....
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wasn't in house when this happened but here's what we're reporting..

And this is a reason not to go on the closed trails during the shutdown..
WBIR - Gatlinburg) Anyone considering trespassing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park during the government shutdown should know there is only a skeleton crew on-hand to help with emergencies.

Friday morning a 59-year-old woman fell and dislocated her shoulder while jogging on the closed Gatlinburg Trail in the Park. GSMNP chief ranger Clay Jordan said rangers and Gatlinburg Rescue Squad workers responded to a 911 call, located the injured woman, and carried her out to an ambulance.

"Fortunately, this was a relatively minor injury and very close to the road," said Jordan. "We understand the shutdown is a difficult situation for everyone involved, but we are trying to get voluntary cooperation from visitors to please stay out. If this had happened on any of the trails deeper in the Park, it would have been a very difficult situation for a timely rescue."

While there are law enforcement rangers on duty, Jordan emphasized most search and rescue efforts are heavily dependent on assistance from the many park employees currently furloughed.

"We are short-handed," said Jordan. "Our search and rescues rely on help from all of our employees who have knowledge of the park. Everyone from biologists to maintenance workers to all of the other employees pitch in during an emergency and right now they are not here to help. Again, we ask people to please voluntarily respect the closure during the shutdown for everyone's safety."
 Post Number: 20
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a feeling many are backpacking for free right now.
 Post Number: 21
WNDSRFROSS Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 1:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The National Parks are shut down with the exception of one or two that have been reopened.  In the National Forest however, only facilities are shut down for example ranger stations, camp grounds and gift shops.  You can still enter the National Forest at your own risk.  A limited number of Fireman are on hand just in case of a fire in National Forest.
20 replies since Sep. 20 2013, 12:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply GSMNP 3 Days 2 Nights....Your Thoughts
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions