2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Any great forests during winter/< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Wiley Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 11:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi friends. I am trying to find a warm place to do a week long trip during Thanksgiving week. I wonder if you could recommend some great ones. It would be better if the transportation around is convenient.

Thanks in advance!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kevinumberger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

while its hard to predict weather that far out-----almost anywhere in the south will be reasonably warm (for that time period).....

what kind of transportation are ya looking for?

shuttle?  airport?  

the smokies is a nice place to do a week long hike....

and there are a ton of other spots in the general vicinity...
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kevinumberger @ Sep. 22 2013, 9:49 pm)
while its hard to predict weather that far out-----almost anywhere in the south will be reasonably warm (for that time period).....

what kind of transportation are ya looking for?

shuttle?  airport?  

the smokies is a nice place to do a week long hike....

and there are a ton of other spots in the general vicinity...

Thanks for replying!kevinumberger . I don't have a driver license so I couldn't rent a car. So airports with shuttles would be great. Or a hitchhiker-friendly destination would also be great :)                                                                                              I looked through the website for smokies. It seems that there will be snow out there. Will that make hiking or backpacking difficult? I didn't have any experience with winter camping so...
 Post Number: 4
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Smokies would be brutal for an inexperienced winter person that time of year. Definitely look further south, in non-mountainous regions. I can't be of further assistance, not being from the region.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 5
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

not necessarily. November can be one of the best times to hike the Smokies. as Kevin said, there's no way to know what this Thanksgiving weekend will bring, but usually Novembers in TN are a backpacker's dream... mild temps, no bugs, lighter crowds. you'd still have to be prepared for freezing temps at night/morning, of course.

i was gonna suggest the Smokies too, by your transportation stipulation. there's a company.... i think it's like SmokyMountainTaxi or something to that extent... who will pick you up from the airport and drive you into the park and arrange for return service. it's probably pricey, but i doubt you'll find this to be an option with any other hiking destination in the southeast. Maybe there's a similar service out of Asheville??

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i kinda doubt (but, hey, what do i know), that you'll have snow around thanksgiving....

yes---it did snow last october (due to hurricane sandy---but that was a freak snow storm and it warmed up right afterwards).....

and yeah.....as ashe states---you can hop a taxi to the park but it will be pricey...

once inside park---hitchhiking is a breeze.....i do it all the time....and get rides pretty easily (longest wait has been 45 minutes)...

or, depending upon yer schedule and my schedule---we could potentially work something out...

i know that i wont be around on the wednesday before thanksgiving, but who nose?
 Post Number: 7
appalhkr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Totally agree w/ kevin on the weather in the park. It's always unpredictable and when the forecasters predict blue skies and 0% chance of rain, take your rain gear anyway (speaking from experience). To avoid any brutal snow you can always stay in the lower elevations i.e. old settlers trail or stay along many of the creeks and rivers.
As far as hitching you will not have to go far until someone gives you a ride. Hit the visitors center first and yogi for a ride.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the reply so far. I would love to try smokies if the weather allows. I am also looking for other forests and parks in CA like the Los Padres  National Forest.      Eventually, will take a risk and go to smokies if no other places work out.                                                                                                                                 By the way, I am starting to think if Kevinumberger you are a comedian... No offense:)
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

comedian?    shoot......what i'd do now?

if you looking for something other than the smokies---you could hit joyce kilmer slickrock citico area....

great hikes through there...

although, transportation would be more of an issue in that forest area...

ive never tried hitchhiking while hiking in those parts, cause quite frankly the traffic volume is not as much....

also....if you want solitude......as in, potentially not seeing anyone else---this area is perfect...

this past winter---i had many weekends in that area without seeing another sole......except for the bottom of my boots (think about it)...
8 replies since Sep. 21 2013, 11:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Any great forests during winter/
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions